5R110 input shaft failures. What's best?

Wayne

Reaction score
So, I've twisted just about every input shaft on the market except for the Santjer unit, which I just became aware of, yet haven't tried. I'm hoping to hear experiences of what's worked when others haven't. I started off with the TCS 300 maraging input shaft; the $370 one, not the $236.25 one. I ended up twisting it up at the drag strip last summer, and it finished failing a little while later doing something easy.

Then last fall, I twisted (not twisted off) one of DPC's "NASA aermet 400" shafts during a 1386 rwhp dyno pull. I'm not totally sure on the torque, but it's gotta be solidly north of 2000 as I'm spraying it hard by 1800 rpm's on a turbo set that's lit at 1300. I found out a week later when I realized the hard way that I should have upgraded to warren's billet pump gear.

I'm hoping to get into DPC this year, and do my best to ride the line of what it can take vs the failure point. As of now, that's the weakest link in my powertrain, so unless I have a better plan, I'll be bringing a spare input shaft, as well as complete transmission with converter, then pull it down for full inspection between every event I have the opportunity to do so.

Wayne

Reaction score
I haven't sprayed nitrous on the second aermet shaft yet, but plan to pull the trans in about a month for inspection. Next up, I'll be running the Santjer input, and spraying a lot. It's supposed to be stronger. I'm gonna try it at any rate. I'd be happy to report my findings once I've thoroughly tested it.