KC Turbos 6.4 turbo testing

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Here are some quick boost/ebp number for the graphs above.

75mm
2000 rpms 29/42
2500 rpms 38/48
3000rpms 43/68
3500rpms 50/73 (ebp maxed out)

71mm
2000 rpms 30/46
2500rpms 40/49
3000rpms 44/68
3500rpms 44/73

s364.5
2000rpms 7/9
2500rpms 34/38
3000rpms 39/52
3500rpms 34/60

So boost numbers are similar down low between the 71 and 75, but the 75mm is more in the center of the compressor map which will make it run cooler. Up top the 71 runs out of steam

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Have a rough guesstimate on when these chargers will hit the market?

Hard to say, we have probably 6-8 months of testing still to go. We can start releasing some options sooner... but won't have the full lineup ready till next year.

We have only just barely started on the LP turbos... still running the stock turbine wheel. Next we will jump up to a larger turbine and see how it affects power/ebp... hoping for more power, less ebp, and no extra lag.

After that we plan to start trying some larger HP turbos. Seeing how much it is worth it to upgrade HP turbo on stock fueling... at this point we don't have a lot of fuel left over so not sure how much it is worth it.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I would have to guess the egp at redline with a different hp turbo should help. Should get a much better ratio. Ohh and Chris Buhidar is a great guy. He has helped us in my 6.7 build and he seems to always bend over backwards to take care of his customers.

Last edited:

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I would have to guess the egp at redline with a different hp turbo should help. Should get a much better ratio. Ohh and Chris Buhidar is a great guy. He has helped us in my 6.7 build and he seems to always bend over backwards to take care of his customers.

We will be testing how a larger HP and LP turbine affect the ebp/boost ratio and whether it is worth it on stock injectors.

Joe6pack

Reaction score
I’ve got an 08 f450 with the s364.5 and it lags and smokes like crazy. Pisses me off to no end. What would it take to go back to compounds?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Got the KC Turbo Harley test truck back on the dyno again. We added a Midwest Dual Fueler kit... way more work than we originally anticipated. Dyno results below.
For those who have not been following our write-ups... we are doing a lot of R&D on the turbo side to build the best drop in compound turbos possible for the 6.4. We don't wanna just do the same old stuff everyone else has been doing. We are still just working on the drop in Atmo turbo. Results have been super impressive. I can't believe how much power we can squeeze out of these trucks with just a drop in Atmo turbo.
Setup: Stock injectors, Midwest dual fuelers, EZ Lynk SOTF tunes from Chris Buhidar with Truck Source Diesel. No Limit Diesel intake and cold side CAC Tube. Engine was built by Jared Alderson from Kill Devil Diesel.
Turbo: Stock HP Turbo, Atmo is a KC 75mm with 4" inlet, ported cover, anti-surge ring with modified MAP groove. Larger upgraded s400 turbine wheel and bearings.
If anyone remembers our last test... we were starting to drop Rail pressure on a 2200us tune even with a brand new fuel system on a single pump. Made good power but could be inconsistent in between dyno runs so it was making it hard to do back to back testing. Well that problem is solved now.
Blue run was dual fuelers on the same tunes as before, 2200us. ZERO power gain over a single pump. This is still a good representation of what stock would expect if you can hold rail. As long as you hold rail on a single pump then there are no gains. We get asked that question a lot.
Green run was turning the truck up to 2400us... which is a pretty hot tune for these trucks.
2200us - 667hp 1327tq
2400us - 708hp 1426tq
Truck runs SUPER CLEAN at WOT. Watch the video below. This setup is just begging for more fuel which is crazy because it still has the stock HP turbo.
We need to get a higher reading map/ebp gauge on the truck. 2900rpms maxes at 50psi at 2900rpms with 69ebp. It just barely maxes out the ebp gauge at 73psi at 3300rpms. If I was to guess it is 53-55psi boost and 75psi ebp comparing to previous runs and how they rise.

Here is a pic of WOT on the dyno. Yes that is the smokiest part of the dyno run. NO FUEL LEFT. As clean as stock.
S9gv6lUl.jpg

Here is the dyno graph
4wJVSnql.jpg

Last edited:

KCTurbos

Reaction score
KC Turbos is back at it again. Testing our 6.4 Harley truck with some drop in turbos. We are still working on just the LP turbo options. This one is my favorite so far. It is a 75mm drop in unit with a lot of upgrades… no other drop in compares. Upgraded comp cover, 4” inlet, anti-surge ring with upgraded MAP groove. 75mm point Mill 7x7 Compressor wheel with larger s400 turbine wheel. Still running 100% stock HP turbo. Ez Lynk tuning from Chris Buhider @ TSD has been amazing. Datalogging and getting new tunes is a breeze! Having the SOTF switch to turn the fuel up and down is also awesome.
We pushed stock fuel as far as it could go… twin pumps and 2400us tune and still ran as clean as stock. At WOT there was ZERO SMOKE. So we decided to bump up to 100% nozzles to see how much power we can squeeze out of a drop in LP turbo upgrade. First thing we wanted to test it to see if we could pull enough fuel out of the 100% nozzles to mimic “stock fueling” hp. We settled on 1300us with 100% nozzles to being fairly close to stock nozzles on a 2400us tune… both with twin pumps holding rock solid rail pressure. See CHART 1 for the results, you can see they make nearly the exact same HP and follow the same curve until about 2800rpms… which makes perfect sense because at the higher rpms the 100% nozzles can dump the fuel quicker keeping the spray in the “sweet spot” where the stock nozzles have to spray so far down the back side of the stroke they lose efficiency. The stock nozzles did make a tiny bit more tq… but it is close enough to be attributed to normal variance in dyno runs.
Chart 1
Red – STOCK NOZZLES: 708hp and 1426tq
Blue – 100% nozzles: 742hp 1411tq
Now onto the fun part. We slowly started bumping up the PW to see how much power we could squeeze out of this unit. We actually went up 200us at a time but the graph looks weird with all the dyno runs on there and makes it harder to read. So we are only posting 4 graphs, but the data was consistent… as we kept adding fuel the power kept going up until 2300us where we started hitting diminishing returns and it got pretty smokey.
Chart 2
Light Blue – 1300us: 742hp 1411tq SUPER CLEAN! Way cleaner than tuned stock fuel and stock turbos
Green – 1800us: 857hp 1675tq. Still very clean. Cleaner than tuned stock fuel and stock turbos
Red – 2200us: 946hp 1787tq. Black Haze. About what you see tuned stock fuel and stock turbos
Dark Blue – 2300us: 1002hp 1866tq. SMOKEY. Not something I would hold WOT getting on the freeway
This truck is a freaking MONSTER!!! Spools just like stock with too much power to use on the streets in 2wd. I like my trucks super clean so I like to drive around on the 1800us tune. The 2200us and 2300us tunes are pretty smokey for my liking and really need more air IMO to clean up the fuel better for street driving, but would be fun at the track. Very cool to see how much power we can squeeze out of just a drop in LP turbo.

o78cNAZh.jpg

CvK1wvKh.jpg

Reaction score
My oh my!
Triple digits, quick spool, and factory bottom end? I love it, intrested to see what it'll take.
How was drive pressure on the last run? I assume its ungated?

Very impressive for a drop in lp only, I'm scared to know whats gong to happen when you loosen up that hp turboLOL

co04cobra

Reaction score
Very impressive results! I also would like to know the drive psi now before you change the HP.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Very impressive results! I also would like to know the drive psi now before you change the HP.

Yes sir, working on that. EZ Lynk has some limits that we are working through. We want to be able to read everything through the stock sensors instead of adding something like an Edge. So right now we are maxing out the stock sensors... but we don't know how much :shrug:

Hoping to have it figured out in the next few weeks and will make sure to get data before switching out the HP turbo

KCTurbos

Reaction score
My oh my!
Triple digits, quick spool, and factory bottom end? I love it, intrested to see what it'll take.
How was drive pressure on the last run? I assume its ungated?

Very impressive for a drop in lp only, I'm scared to know whats gong to happen when you loosen up that hp turboLOL

Non-gated for now. Will probably add them later on to see how it affects things. But I fear gates are a "deal breaker" for many people so we want to develop the turbos to not rely on them.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Red – STOCK NOZZLES: 708hp and 1426tq
Blue – 100% nozzles: 742hp 1411tq
Now onto the fun part. We slowly started bumping up the PW to see how much power we could squeeze out of this unit. We actually went up 200us at a time but the graph looks weird with all the dyno runs on there and makes it harder to read. So we are only posting 4 graphs, but the data was consistent… as we kept adding fuel the power kept going up until 2300us where we started hitting diminishing returns and it got pretty smokey.
Chart 2
Light Blue – 1300us: 742hp 1411tq SUPER CLEAN! Way cleaner than tuned stock fuel and stock turbos
Green – 1800us: 857hp 1675tq. Still very clean. Cleaner than tuned stock fuel and stock turbos
Red – 2200us: 946hp 1787tq. Black Haze. About what you see tuned stock fuel and stock turbos
Dark Blue – 2300us: 1002hp 1866tq. SMOKEY. Not something I would hold WOT getting on the freeway
This truck is a freaking MONSTER!!! Spools just like stock with too much power to use on the streets in 2wd. I like my trucks super clean so I like to drive around on the 1800us tune. The 2200us and 2300us tunes are pretty smokey for my liking and really need more air IMO to clean up the fuel better for street driving, but would be fun at the track. Very cool to see how much power we can squeeze out of just a drop in LP turbo.

Great progress.

Any updates?
And EGTs? My 6.4 w/ I de pee hot tunes was a Hotttt basturd at WOT

Racer71

Reaction score
Been hoping they’d release something getting to wrap up my scratch build and looking at very least upgrading the low pressure charger

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.