Non-VGT vs. VGT (video heavy)

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
I keep hearing how responsive the big singles are. Obviously where I am from (and having owned a large single truck before) I am a bit skeptical.

I here it from people and its posted on the forums but I want to see vids.

How about someone post some off-idle acceleration runs. I don't want to see 50 or 70 mph rolls. I want to see OFF-IDLE because a street truck rarely has time to be "spooled-up" when a competitive truck pulls up next to them that needs schooled.

What I want to see is the truck sitting there idling. The driver then mashes the throttle and we see what happens. No videos starting when spool up has already started! Must be at idle when the video starts. Lets see a vid from outside the vehicle where we can see the exhaust and we know when the throttle was hit. Or a video of the tachometer. Or even more detailed and a datalog from idle.

This is one thing that will convince me that these are so awesome over a VGT setup.

I think non-vgt's have there place. My race truck was non-vgt. Prove to me that a street truck is better suited as a non-vgt.

Let's keep opinions out of this and let hard data prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Heres the closest video i have of mine with non-vgt compounds 72/83 .90ar and s483 from a stoplight, not full throttle but it spools just fine, not saying as good as stock turbos
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Have you finished that truck i sent mikey a kit for...than you would see for yourself

Almost but the altitude is not gonna be nice to this big single, I already know that from experience. That's why I requested videos because almost everyone else is at sea level. I am gonna post videos of off-idle launches with it also when its running for an altitude comparison. I also have Eric most current stuff on the way to me so it is valid comparison wise.

Last edited:

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Heres the closest video i have of mine with non-vgt compounds 72/83 .90ar and s483 from a stoplight, not full throttle but it spools just fine, not saying as good as stock turbos

Thanks for posting the vid mike. It is hard to validate part throttle though because everyones will be different. It must be full throttle to be a fair comparison and it needs to be a strong 300+ hp file.

JDub

Reaction score
Sorry, this doesn't fit all your criteria. It's not a 'big' single nor is it a wide open throttle run. But this is at 4500-ft elevation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSs_77Jlvz0&list=UUgmWJmAl8IZc9W8nhI7VN7w&index=15&feature=plcp

This also doesn't quite fit the criteria as it's not from a dead stop to the floor, truck was moving before I mashed it. Stock truck, KEM 345 tune and single turbo. Still had the EGR coolers as well. Truck made 607hp uncorrected on the Mustang dyno, correction factor put it at 636hp. Driveability was just fine on the street and freeway, spools great. But it is not a turbo that is going to support big 700+ horsepower numbers...it was designed for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6NjF4HG3kE&list=UUgmWJmAl8IZc9W8nhI7VN7w&index=16&feature=plcp

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude, but i dont get what the debate is. It's common knowledge that a big single will not spool from idle as well as a single vgt or either type of compound setup. I don't get what you're trying to prove. Every setup has its pros and cons and have their own purpose. Really the deciding factor for most people is what they want it for and price.... Sorry for the opinion, derail over.

This is my reasoning. Many of the people on this forum want to know what is best for them. Many don't have the luxury of multiple setups and trial and error. The are opinions on both sides of the debate. But opinions are just that and everyone has one. So rather than put opinion out there I asked for video proof, not just for me but for any potential users. I am sorry but I don't agree with the thought that "if I read it on the internet it must be true." Let's see some off-idle to WOT comparisons of both non-vgt and vgt. We will base them on power output also.

If guys are on the fence one way or the other then let them see how its gonna be off the stoplight. Like I have stated, I have had both style turbos and all in-between, many on this site have not.

Here is your quote from another thread that started me thinking.

It probably wouldnt hurt to have a bigger filter and move the battery... Im glad to see more people getting away from vgt stuff. There is no reason with proper AR ratios and proper gating that you cant have an awsome set of non vgt compounds. A year ago I first asked this on the forums, whether it be .org or psn about why noone was using NON vgt setups and why everyone was all about elites compounds. Not to bash elite at all. But I dont think having a vgt is necessary in an after market setup, esp if you had a top of the line ball bearing setup that is supposed to spool faster. This will go to prove, it can be done, and these arent even ball bearing... Setup looks sick. I cant wait to see the results!!

So you are questioning why someone would put on a VGT in a performance setup? That other thread is referring to a street truck, no drag only or sled pull only. We are talking street truck! What do street trucks do everyday, take off of a stoplight.

So let's let everyone compare and not just trust my opinion or your opinion or whoever.

Like I said before, prove me wrong that a properly setup non-vgt will be better than a vgt setup.

And this has nothing to do with east coast, west coast, or even altitude.

For a real comparison test, the part throttle vids are not held to any standard so I thought the easiest would be off idle to wot.

extreme3807

Reaction score
Not a problem bud, I run a larger housing 1.10 so the spoolup will be a bit slower, I believe 100-200 rpm difference from the .90, but ill get some daytime vids of boost, bp, exhaust, etc...

Sent from my DROID Pro

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Great idea Tadd

I will clean this up as we go so as much of the thread is vids ect, please be sure like madman said to post fuel mods, tuner, turbo specs ect so that way everyone can know what is going on

I would say feel free to post vgt spool up vids as well just so people have a compareson all in a single thread.

Someone with stock turbos feel free to do the same... just for reference.

a truely good test to this would be a non boosted launch at the track

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Go pro on the fender looking at the tires and exhaust would be ideal but anything outside will be great

CamTom12

Reaction score
Here's a thought too...

I only have a DashDaq, so I'm not sure if you can do this with other monitoring tools, but it's easy enough to monitor TP.

Why don't we try to get a set of 8 vids for each set-up, 4 inside and 4 outside the truck.

Vid 1/2: idle to 25% TP inside and outside
Vid 3/4: idle to 50% TP inside and outside
Vid 5/6: idle to 75% TP inside and outside
Vid 7/8: idle to WOT inside and outside

Just a thought. I'd love to contribute as a stock turbo truck but won't be able to do the last 6 videos until April or so, haha.

extreme3807

Reaction score
Here's a few quick vids I recorded. Each video was on X-Street. The first two were 2wd with zero boost launches, could not get traction and the tires were spinning till about 40-45 MPH. The last video was from a 30 MPH roll and you can see the smoke clean up around 70 MPH when the turbo lit. I will definitely get better videos soon, I threw X-Race on and the truck is a completely different animal

(My camera man sucks at recording)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apB3UpYnr0A&context=C34151aeADOEgsToPDskJTLS30f7XM3hLFh5CG37eR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-aa4vjcY3o&context=C334d978ADOEgsToPDskLgj9gRr_c8ew5T4tndu0Cz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SPDScy6bkE&context=C33e3ed4ADOEgsToPDskJ73ej98-WU6O5WQ4OI5MQu

extreme3807

Reaction score
Hey extreme, how do u like it on xrace? Can u tell a differance from x street? And Hows ur spool from 50-70? Have u done anything to The tranny tunning to get it to run better?

I thought that I was in love with my truck on X-street, but X-Race takes it no a new level. The noticeable difference was in how responsive the spool up was. There is literally zero lag with it. Also as shocking as it may sound X-Race cleans up better when DD than X-Street did. I have not done anything with the tranny tuning yet. I am running Race Lock currently and I couldn't be happier, the shifting is perfect and never misses a beat. If you are cruising around and the OD locks in at 45 MPH and you go to floor it, you are Effeddd until you reach 70 MPH. But if you are doing a WOT pull or getting into it mildly you would never feel that lag.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
One thing i noticed with the bigger fuel is that spoolup in 1st-3rd is alot faster, its almost instant now, in this video you can hear it when i was spooling it up, it took no time to get to 15psi,
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.