Bulletproof Diesel Oil Cooler INSTALL

weazel

Reaction score
UPDATE

I continue to be impressed with this kit. I'd heard that the location of the heat exchanger would decrease the effectiveness of my air conditioner, but its not something I've experienced to date. As the outside temps have decreased, I've seen EOT's hover in the mid 180's with peaks in the low to mid 190's. These were seen in both stop and go traffic as well as on the highway, including some spirited runs up to questionable speeds. No, the kit isn't cheap but this is one of those times when you get what you pay for.

Good to know, I am thinking about dropping the money on one...... The next time my cab goes up

Translated from hillbilly, with tapatalk
Engineers clear the way!

Snake

Reaction score
Good to know, I am thinking about dropping the money on one...... The next time my cab goes up

Translated from hillbilly, with tapatalk
Engineers clear the way!

I'm not even going to try to pretend that it was an easy decision to go with the BPD kit, but I feel so much better about my choice as I continue to read thread after thread of oil coolers that clogged right after they were replaced.

Snake

Reaction score
Sorry for the temporary lack of pictures. I had to upgrade the bandwidth on my photobucket account and they should be visible again soon.

onebadcoastie

Reaction score
So it's a very in depth install. Amazing write up

It's not very in depth. I bet Mike has as much time modifying the pictures the way he did and writing it up as it would take one to install. :thumbup:

Really though...the install isn't terribly hard and can definitely be done in a weekend, one full day if you really worked at it.

Mike's writeup is extremely detailed and would definitely help anyone with their install.

Snake

Reaction score
It's not very in depth. I bet Mike has as much time modifying the pictures the way he did and writing it up as it would take one to install. :thumbup:

Really though...the install isn't terribly hard and can definitely be done in a weekend, one full day if you really worked at it.

Mike's writeup is extremely detailed and would definitely help anyone with their install.

Thanks Shack, and you're right: choosing and editing pictures took me as long as much time as the install itself. In hindsight, I still can't believe how straight forward the install was.

Snake

Reaction score
Some time has passed, as well as some more miles. Still one of my favorite mods and zero issues to date.

DSTRYER

Reaction score
Good to know, next time cab comes off, this will be done! my cooler was replaced 2 years ago, after it epic failed, then I did the studs, so, when I get back from Saudi...i'll take the ol boy to the shop and get it done! that is a sweet setup!

Ford diesel girl

Reaction score
Good to know, next time cab comes off, this will be done! my cooler was replaced 2 years ago, after it epic failed, then I did the studs, so, when I get back from Saudi...i'll take the ol boy to the shop and get it done! that is a sweet setup!

I mean, I may know someone that can help you obtain one of these kits. Maybe. :lookaround:

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up.

Three things to add.

One, I didn't disconnect the AC condenser to install the cooler. I was able to ease the drivers side of the condenser out away from the truck and prop it up, then install the cooler/mounting plate. Maybe that's not for everybody, but it made the process simpler than draining/re-servicing, for me.

Now, I did bend the lines slightly in the process, but once the kit was installed, I found I needed to bend the lines even slightly more to clear the 90 fitting on the return hose. I have the cold weather thermal bypass and deep cooler so, your mileage may vary...

Two, I think installing the mounting plate on the condenser, then the cooler with associated pieces would be easier than installing the cooler on the plate, then the plate to the condenser. Not the way I did it, so I might be missing or forgetting something. Just something I thought about laying in bed, after the fact.

Three, and I might have missed it in your write up, but I don't think I saw it. The coolant hose provided by EGR delete kits is going to be approx 1 7/8'' to short, with the BPD kit. I went to my usual hoses and fittings shop in town hoping to have a solid stainless line crimped between two short silicone hoses, one with a 90 degree for the intake, then put it on a pipe bender and make a 180 degree bend. The only individual at my local shop that I think is capable of making me something like this that wouldn't leak though, has quit. The current employee's are too lazy or too ignorant.

Forcing the provided delete hose around to connect would have made it rub on the pedestal.

So I ended up splicing a piece of silicone hose in with a double male barbed fitting and hose clamps.

Not happy with it, but it's not leaking either. I was happy with the dieselsite delete, and thrilled with the BPD cooler kit, just wasn't all that excited to find the kits didn't play well together.

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

Last edited:

Snake

Reaction score
Completely understand where you're coming from. I had to make a few phone calls to get my ported intake / EGR delete to work with the BPD kit. I know it's been a while based on the date of your post, but did you give BPD a call? I'm willing to be they'd take care of you.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
No I never called them. I think I figured that since they'd pulled their deletes off the market, that they wouldn't be leaping to help anyone adapt a delete to their kit.

Not taking anything away from them or their customer service, just expected an answer along those lines, so I never called.

I did talk to Bob at Dieselsite about making a note on his web store. Usually he's pretty thorough with his disclaimers, but I was apparently the first guy he's heard from that combined one of his deletes and one of Bulletproof's oil coolers.

Jtreece

Reaction score
man that was one of the best descriptions I've seen in awhile!!!! but on the other hand I was told to stay away from external coolers because they didn't cool as go as OEM. I live in Central Kansas and its gets pretty warm here. So how is the kit still performing??????

Latest posts

Members online