Tyrant diesel tuning

ImAti0n

Reaction score
Is the ez lynk much better or is a pretty comparable platform to the sct livewire? What are pros and cons of each?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I like the ez Lynk much better than the SCT. It's a more modern platform. I like that I can monitor more PIDs than the SCT could. Tuning and downloading tunes are MUCH MUCH easier than the SCT. I like that the ez Lynk monitors EGTs with a stock EGT sensor and not having to buy a $150 sensor to work with the SCT. The ez now has android support as well as apple so it's pretty versatile.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

DarcyB

Reaction score
Good to know thanks, does anyone have a rough idea of when tyrant will be having their tunes available for the ez lynk?
I have 50000km on my warranty and when that's up I'll be doing my deeleet, doing all my research now though 😊

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

ImAti0n

Reaction score
According to NL. They will have support packs shortly.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

NMSVT

Reaction score
Bumping this up..

Anymore input on comparison between GH and Ty rant tuning? My setup will be Midwest diesel comp trans, BD 363sxe kit, stock 11-14 pump for now. This on a leveled 13' on 35s 20x12s. I don't care about smoke (I like it). As for my driving habits let's just say I like to romp on it whenever I can. I'm trying to decide which route to go have never had custom tuning in this truck.

What's my setup good for HP wise? Anyone with similar setup?

doo dah

Reaction score
I have pretty much the same set up except on factory 275/65/20. Not a noticeable difference between TD or GH. TD has a bit more fuel (smoke) down low and GH runs cleaner overall. I'm willing to bet that the HP/TQ #s between the 2 would be close to the same. I like the GH a little better but it is cool having both because I can switch between the 2 when I get bored. I WOULD NOT TUNE THE TRANSMISSION. If you have a Midwest comp then leave it stock tuned or have Midwest write the tunes for both engine and transmission. After spending 11k on my Suncoast build I am leery of anyone's tuning.

NMSVT

Reaction score
I have pretty much the same set up except on factory 275/65/20. Not a noticeable difference between TD or GH. TD has a bit more fuel (smoke) down low and GH runs cleaner overall. I'm willing to bet that the HP/TQ #s between the 2 would be close to the same. I like the GH a little better but it is cool having both because I can switch between the 2 when I get bored. I WOULD NOT TUNE THE TRANSMISSION. If you have a Midwest comp then leave it stock tuned or have Midwest write the tunes for both engine and transmission. After spending 11k on my Suncoast build I am leery of anyone's tuning.

Thanks for chiming in. I'll have to talk to no limit about the transmission tuning. It looks like I will be getting Tyra nt tuning for now. Odd thing is I asked Midwest about tuning and they said all they do is sell parts?

powerstrokelyfe

Reaction score

Who's tuning did you run frequently previous to the trans rebuild, and how many miles were on the stock transmission ?

sootie

Reaction score

Horrible idea not to tune the transmission.

Thanks for chiming in. I'll have to talk to no limit about the transmission tuning. It looks like I will be getting Tyra nt tuning for now. Odd thing is I asked Midwest about tuning and they said all they do is sell parts?

Since Morgans passing, they have stopped selling tunes as he was the tuner.

doo dah

Reaction score
Horrible idea not to tune the transmission.

Since Morgans passing, they have stopped selling tunes as he was the tuner.

Shop that installed it recommended no tuning and Suncoast recommended no tuning. I have a 750+ capable trans with only ~550 going through it. Transmission shop that built it also recommended no tuning, said the transmission is built to not require line pressure changes, etc...

At one time Midwest would not guarantee their transmission without their tuning. RIP to Morgan, God bless his family.

I have always had GH tunes and had transmission shifting issues from day one of installing. Transmission had a little over 100k miles of very clean light duty factory stock power going through it. Trans was still holding up when I had it rebuilt at 214k miles but shifted horribly even through a dozen changes to the trans tuning along the way. Shop that did the bench build said the line pressures were so high that the trans was eating itself alive.

I gave my opinion based on him having a built trans and what professionals told me about mine. I don't trust GH trans tuning and by the time I switched to TD the trans was beyond trash so I can't comment on that but I won't tune the transmission with either of them.

sootie

Reaction score
Shop that installed it recommended no tuning and Suncoast recommended no tuning. I have a 750+ capable trans with only ~550 going through it. Transmission shop that built it also recommended no tuning, said the transmission is built to not require line pressure changes, etc...

At one time Midwest would not guarantee their transmission without their tuning. RIP to Morgan, God bless his family.

I have always had GH tunes and had transmission shifting issues from day one of installing. Transmission had a little over 100k miles of very clean light duty factory stock power going through it. Trans was still holding up when I had it rebuilt at 214k miles but shifted horribly even through a dozen changes to the trans tuning along the way. Shop that did the bench build said the line pressures were so high that the trans was eating itself alive.

I gave my opinion based on him having a built trans and what professionals told me about mine. I don't trust GH trans tuning and by the time I switched to TD the trans was beyond trash so I can't comment on that but I won't tune the transmission with either of them.

Its your truck, do what you want. Still bad advice for others. I'm basing my opinions on many many discussions with Morgan. He knew his chit.

doo dah

Reaction score
Its your truck, do what you want. Still bad advice for others. I'm basing my opinions on many many discussions with Morgan. He knew his chit.

Morgan did know his stuff for sure but doubt he'd put his rep on the line for anyone's tuning other than his. I planned on having him tune mine but he passed before mine was built and installed. I trust Suncoast knows what is best for their transmission. Opinions are all we have, none of us are experts. I'm not saying no one should tune, a stock trans with 600 horse going though it is going to need tuning to live however a transmission with HD billet converter, billet flex plate, all new clutch packs with a 40% increase in clamping power, etc etc I feel does not need tuning to live. I accidentally loaded a TD trans tune and started getting shift flares in 3-4 and 4-5, barking in heavy throttle from 4-5, and a long pause when shifting into reverse with abrupt engagement once it did shift. Made backing up a trailer a pain. I chalked it up to relearn and adaptive but after 500 miles with no improvement I took it back so the factory program they received with the valve body and solenoids could be reloaded. Since then the last 500 miles have been flawless. I believe that there are so many versions of TCM tuning from Ford for every year and in mid year changes that everyone's situation is different as is their experience with tuning. Some people have great luck and I may just have a finicky TCM that doesn't like tuning from anyone.

NMSVT

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I did get to drive a 6.7 with the exact same setup I have now and really liked the trans tuning. This was with Ty rants tuning. He did mention to me at first he had to reset trans adaptive learning because it was acting up the same way doo dah described it. After awhile it cleared up on its own tho.

I just drove my truck with new trans installed and it feels exactly the same as with stock. I would have thought that at least I would feel the torque converter lock up. Is this normal? Maybe it has to do with me using the same h&s canned tunes? Turbo kit is not installed yet.

doo dah

Reaction score
My lock up is heavy, almost like another shift. Don't know what converter is in yours but the Suncoast is a heavy and huge part. There is no doubt when it locks up even with stock trans file. lol

powerstrokelyfe

Reaction score

Fair enough. I was just curious if a particular tune(s) played a role in this. My last 12' had trans tuning, and with just under 250k miles, it ran and shifted perfectly.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Morgan did know his stuff for sure but doubt he'd put his rep on the line for anyone's tuning other than his. I planned on having him tune mine but he passed before mine was built and installed. I trust Suncoast knows what is best for their transmission. Opinions are all we have, none of us are experts. I'm not saying no one should tune, a stock trans with 600 horse going though it is going to need tuning to live however a transmission with HD billet converter, billet flex plate, all new clutch packs with a 40% increase in clamping power, etc etc I feel does not need tuning to live. I accidentally loaded a TD trans tune and started getting shift flares in 3-4 and 4-5, barking in heavy throttle from 4-5, and a long pause when shifting into reverse with abrupt engagement once it did shift. Made backing up a trailer a pain. I chalked it up to relearn and adaptive but after 500 miles with no improvement I took it back so the factory program they received with the valve body and solenoids could be reloaded. Since then the last 500 miles have been flawless. I believe that there are so many versions of TCM tuning from Ford for every year and in mid year changes that everyone's situation is different as is their experience with tuning. Some people have great luck and I may just have a finicky TCM that doesn't like tuning from anyone.
Ive have been running a Suncoast Full built trans and their converter ,for a little over 60k miles. '15 450. Truck is tuned by PPEI.I run the 200 hp tune that has trans tuning.Never one issue with running the trans with tuning.90% of those miles towing my 53ft horse trailer and 6 horses.

Texguy

Reaction score
Forum noon here. Just wanted to give a bumb/review on Tyrant Tunes.

My truck is a 2017 6.7 f250 4x4. I received the revised tunes, and to be honest, it's hard to see much improvement over the original tunes since they were so darn accurate. What ever his formula is for adjusting fuel, timing, boost, and TCM; it's on point.

Tip: get the truck to running temp when loading the tune, then drive it at 25%, 50, then 80 making sure all gears shift from 1-6 for a proper TCM relearn. Drive it moderately but not like a granny the first few days.

Shifting is definitely felt at higher throttle, which is a good thing. Clutch packs wear WAY faster than the meaty gears. I threw on a 8 quart tranny pan that comes with a filter extender to keep temps low, and tranny fluid healthy for longevity.

Power is almost unreal for a "off road" truck with just an intake and throttle body "replacement". 0-60 in 5.4 seconds on 35" MT2s with over 600 pounds of bumpers/winch/traction bars/etc.. Gets to 90mph in the 13s. Driving normally feels stock (besides feathering the throttle on extreme mode).

Lots of people complain that it takes "forever" to get a hold of Cale for tunes, but what they don't realize is that he's a one man army as he's the only one that does the tuning (great way to control quality). Emailed him Friday during SEMA weekend; tunes in the cloud by Monday noon. Seamless process when converting to "off road".

OutlawII

Reaction score
Hi everyone havent been on here in awhile reading through is their any updates i need to do for my 13? Its been in offroad mode since 2017 with tyrant tunes

Hottrod81

Reaction score
I just got the EZ Lynk with Tyrant tunes. For towing 16,000 lbs should I use the no power tune or the 55hp tow tune

Latest posts

Members online