egr delete time!

Atsah

Reaction score
I have been told that I need to do the EGR delete but I still have warranty left on my truck for another 50k miles, I know doing that is going to screw with my warranty. I am tired of 14mpg and just wonder if I should chance not having to use my warranty and do it or just wait it out. I did blow head gaskets at 21k miles so I did have Ford replace the studs with ARP ( at my cost) and the oil cooler has been replaced as well, so I don't know if it would be safe to say nothing else will go wrong. I have to throw my .02 in about the smoke crap, I don't want my truck to smoke it is too darn expensive for fuel to just blow it out the exhaust. I was told once when I got on it that I had alittle haze come out and I about crapped because I don't want that. It seems people are just buying diesel's now because they want to smoke instead of just loving the truck. When I bought mine I had no idea that it was the cool thing, I have always loved trucks and my dad had always had Ford diesels so I didn't know any better. Sorry soapbox.:p

I would leave it until your warranty is done.. When you delete it, it's not going help with MPG anyway.. If you get on your truck once in a while it's going to smoke until it cleans the EGR valve out and then will clear out.. Soot builds up in the valve when the truck idles or when the motor isn't working very hard.. Best thing to do if you use your truck as a DD is to WOT it a few times a week to keep the valve and the turbo working properly..

DISL GRL 4

Reaction score
I would leave it until your warranty is done.. When you delete it, it's not going help with MPG anyway.. If you get on your truck once in a while it's going to smoke until it cleans the EGR valve out and then will clear out.. Soot builds up in the valve when the truck idles or when the motor isn't working very hard.. Best thing to do if you use your truck as a DD is to WOT it a few times a week to keep the valve and the turbo working properly..

See i wondered about that, I have people telling me it will and then my Dad told me that isn't going to do anything. My dad is the type to just leave it alone until its broke and I'm kinda the same way. Just seems once you start messin with stuff then stuff starts going wrong and with that being my only transporation i cant have that.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You can delete it now and not have to worry about anything if you know how to read instructions. egr deletes are simple. i did it by myself if that tell you anything. I havent seen an increase in mpg but i ride like im being chased by the cops all the time. You and you dad have a good thing going im sure but id rather get the headache outta the way before it sits you on the side of the road somewhere. And unless you have bought extended warrenty you got just a few months at most.

Atsah

Reaction score
See i wondered about that, I have people telling me it will and then my Dad told me that isn't going to do anything. My dad is the type to just leave it alone until its broke and I'm kinda the same way. Just seems once you start messin with stuff then stuff starts going wrong and with that being my only transporation i cant have that.

I do see that you have an 06.. If I had an 05-07 6.0, I would either delete it or replace the stock EGR cooler with a Bulletproof cooler.. ($350.00 for the cooler).. The "square" EGR cooler's on the 05-07 trucks are more restictive than the "round" cooler's on the 03-04 trucks.. The Bulletproof cooler is the way to go if you want to leave your EGR system intact.. If you do leave it intact, your EGR valve will need to be cleaned a couple of times a year..

Keep in mind that your best cleaning method is with your foot several times a week and 8oz's per 40 gallons of Motorcraft Cetane performance boost fuel additive helps as well.. Also if you are going to leave your EGR system intact, flush your cooling system every 50K with Motorcraft Gold coolant so that your oil cooler doesn't clog and your system will stay clean... This is my second 6.0 and both have had the round cooler. I have done what's listed above to both of them (except replace the cooler) and I have never had an EGR related issue on either truck.. The first truck had 200K on it when I sold it and my current truck has 163K and going strong.. An EGR delete is not going to save you anything at the pump..

DISL GRL 4

Reaction score
You can delete it now and not have to worry about anything if you know how to read instructions. egr deletes are simple. i did it by myself if that tell you anything. I havent seen an increase in mpg but i ride like im being chased by the cops all the time. You and you dad have a good thing going im sure but id rather get the headache outta the way before it sits you on the side of the road somewhere. And unless you have bought extended warrenty you got just a few months at most.

i still have 47k miles before my warranty is up, but i will see I have guy friends who are mechanics and want to play with my truck bad.

Latest posts

Members online