friends 6.o

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
So i got a phone call today from a friend asking me some questions about a 6.0 which i know little if any about. So now im asking you guys so i know what to look at when i head over there on thursday.

stock 04 6.0 auto cclb srw- occasionally tows a large bobcat on a 25ft goose

Hes telling me hes getting a good amount of black smoke and low boost on take off and the trucks gutless but once hes around 1500-2000 rpm the smoke disappears and the turbo spools up almost instantly. No light and no codes....any comments?

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Ya sounds to me like the vanes are stuck open acting like a big non vgt turbo.

jdc753

Reaction score
Im leaning on an egr block as well

This is my guess.

My truck was doing the same thing a couple months after I first got it. Only on occasion though. I would leave a stop light and it would just roll coal and go no where till about 25ft out then the turbo would instantly light and off it would go. Ended up pulling the EGR valve and found it 110% plugged up.

It's only a 5 minute job to pull the valve and check it, need to remove the electrical connector and 2 8mm bolts then pry the valve out, use the prying end of a lady slipper and work the valve up and out, or a pair of pry bars will work.

Article on cleaning, http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-12.php

SoCalPSD

Reaction score
I know its been a while but we finally were able to work on the truck today and sure enough the egt was plugged solid. Looked like a little brick. Thanks guys.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Internet diagnoses FTW. That will be 15$ LOL Glad hes up and running.