intercooling air temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I know from an edge that air intake temps are around 115*. Correct if wrong. Does anyone know what the air temp is after its passed through the intercooler at the elbow or around the intake manifold?

cfdeng7

Reaction score
My iat's when moving are ambient air temp. I have no idea what they are post intercooler but it wouldn't be hard to put a temp gauge in the elbow. I actually have an extra port plugged in my elbow and extra pyro gauge if u need me to I could put it in to see. May I ask why your wondering?

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Your iat is what for example? I cant remember exactly but i know it for me always seemed to be 1xx usually around 115ish. Whats your pyros range? If you can hook it up please do. I want to see what temps this intercooler actually cools the air down to.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong Smut, but you're asking for pre-intercooler (after turbo) temps compared to post-intercooler temps?

To get an idea of the temp differential, you'd need a temp sensor on the hot side pipe. The sensor in the intake manifold would get the other number you want. The way these things are configured stock, you wont get an idea of how much the intercooler is dropping temps.

I think this is what you're asking, but some of the terminoligy being used here kind of makes me wonder if that's really what you're after.

The IAT2 sensor is the one in the intake manifold that will tell you what the intercooler is dropping temps to. IAT is integrated into the MAF and is seeing ambient/underhood temps.

Edit: Good question though. It's something I've wondered about myself.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Ok i really dont know what iat means. My terminology is wack cause idk it lol. So thats why i look stupider. I would like to know Air intake temp Like at the filter pre turbo, pre intercooler and post intercooler somewhere around the elbow or intake manifold.

So does anyone know where the edge reads intake temp from which sensor from obd2 port because thats the one i know. I just need the other 2.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
iat is pre turbo and when moving it is within 2 degrees of ambient air temp. My head was in a fog yesterday I forgot about the iat2 sensor which tells us temperature post intercooler. I have a scan gauge I just have to find the codes to program iat2 in and I can get those numbers. However we still need a sensor on the hot side of the intercooler.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
like stated i believe the factory computer reads, air filter air temp, and intake manifold air temp, so IAT2 (intake air temp 2) should be intake manifold, should tell you how effiecient the intercooler is, IAT will tell you what kind of air the engine is taking in, some may note that an aftermarket intake will draw in warmer air then a stock intake.

NOW moving on to post turbo, you would honestly probably be better off mounting a EGT probe post turbo, there is a formula for turbo outlet temperatures, but basically it boils down to 10psi of boost equals 100 degrees increased air temp over ambient, so if your making 25 psi, temps are probably 300+ degrees, a regular temp sensor wont read that, I have thought about puting the egr inlet temp sensor in my outlet pipe to see what the temps are like.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
So to test this one will have to have an idle or hi idle. reading and crusing at common speed. With even boost numbers

Dzchey21

Reaction score
well... depends on what you want to test... if you want to test intercooler, you would need to hook up a trailer, get to where you make some good boost pulling hills ect at a decent speed, so you can get air flow acroos the CAC, then check, low boost will not be a good test because you havent made heat from compressing the air, if you dont make heat, you dont need to cool the air either. short WOT runs would probably show you too, but the air flow will change from start to finish and might not let you see what you want to see

I gotta ask, why do all this, what are you trying to do?

jdgleason

Reaction score
Dude... you gotta make it easier for people to wanna help you rather than adding dumb comments about yourself. Answer the question ^^ so someone who knows wtf theyre talking about can help you. Its killing 2 birds with one stone- you come off more respectably and you get the info you need. Response above = jackass. I know if my dad asked me why I was doing something and I gave that response he would ***king punch me in the mouth and when I woke up, I would get a lecture on respect, then I would probably get hit again. Same respect should apply to anyone here to someone trying to help you.

JDub

Reaction score
NOW moving on to post turbo, you would honestly probably be better off mounting a EGT probe post turbo, there is a formula for turbo outlet temperatures, but basically it boils down to 10psi of boost equals 100 degrees increased air temp over ambient, so if your making 25 psi, temps are probably 300+ degrees, a regular temp sensor wont read that, I have thought about puting the egr inlet temp sensor in my outlet pipe to see what the temps are like.

Elevation and humidity are also going to play a strong role...

cfdeng7

Reaction score
yes, i was just trying to help but, you can pound sand

Yupp I was gonna hook up gauges and try and get u some numbers but you need to learn some respect smut. You start a thread asking for help the be a dick to everyone offering to help. I gotta better chit to do this weekend.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Pre turbo=around outside air temp.
Post turbo hot side intercooler pipe= (+-)300*
Post Intercooler= (+-) 10 degrees above outside air temps.
Intake manifold. Add in thermal conductivity...around 150*

Gracias.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Smut, didn't I tell you to STFU and go sit in the corner 'til you learned manners?

You have no problem asking for help on your truck, so get a ***in clue and listen to the people tryin to help you become an adult.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
No matter how badly you think i should listen to you telling me to stfu and go sit in a corner isnt gonna get you anywhere. its just really stupid you think that would work

blackbetty13

Reaction score
im sorry but your sitting here asking for help and your going to have a sh1tty fuggin attitude. all these guys would probably be glad to help you espeacially the mods if you had a better attitude. your just kicking your self in the a$$ and pretty soon you will be banned just like you were on psn because you dont know when enough is enough. and yes maybe i have no room to talk because of the things i have posted but im trying like hell to get a little more respect but to get respect you have to give it calling people out and telling people to stfu isnt going to give you that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online