Turbo discussion thread

madman1234509

Reaction score
Tried telling that to someone and they said stock fuel is fine.

Are you saying stock fuel wont spool a 66mm vgt turbo? So what if it doesnt drive a atmospheric turbo to near what its potential is. The whole point is that you can do it. If someone can run a 72/83 setup with just a low pressure system and find that it drive just fine on the street and makes 700 hp why cant it be fine with the maxpowers? The max powers would be even better because the 66 is vgt and the 82 is billet and ball bearing, itll spool even better in my opinion.

Yes you could use more fuel, but it can be done.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Are you saying stock fuel wont spool a 66mm vgt turbo? So what if it doesnt drive a atmospheric turbo to near what its potential is. The whole point is that you can do it. If someone can run a 72/83 setup with just a low pressure system and find that it drive just fine on the street and makes 700 hp why cant it be fine with the maxpowers? The max powers would be even better because the 66 is vgt and the 82 is billet and ball bearing, itll spool even better in my opinion.

Yes you could use more fuel, but it can be done.

Damn calm down. Yep that is what I said, must have since you say so. Stock fuel will not spool a 66 vgt, it is impossible.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Aaron did a maxpower build on.stock fuel and the gains were minimal over high powers and lag was up it.does spool but not enough drive to keep them happy. That's also at sea level

madman1234509

Reaction score
I think its been proven that doing anything higher than towpowers or whatever size it was has a minimal gain because there isnt enough fuel to really get past the 700hp mark. Guys have thrown a few different sizes of turbos on trucks and only made high 6's with stock fuel. But as soon as fuel is thrown into the picture its a completely different story. But Mike was running a 72mm with an 83mm on just a lift pump system and ran it without problems, I think that says enough. And I only use Mike as an example because he as far as Ive read on here is only person that has gone that big on the high pressure turbo, but there are plenty of guys, even within the last year and a half Ive been on the ford forums that have ran pretty big set ups with stock or close to stock fuel.

Im not trying to argue and be an a**. But you brought it up and im just trying to explain my point. It might not be enough to run the turbos hard but it can and has been done

Last edited:

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Well, moving more air SHOULD help... But, that big of a turbo, as Dustin and Erik alluded to, will possibly be laggy, and won't find much performance gains over tow powers, tow Xs, high powers, etc, with stock fuel... We have seen on here, that tow power atmo, all the way up to high powers, on stock fuel, only gets you in the 600s... Fuel runs out. Plain and simple. I know that FRP on mine, with Xs, and stock fuel, dropped hard, and hit de-fuel mode, on Xrace, and boosted launches. An airdog, or other LP fuel, would have def helped, but wouldnt get me much more than deep in the 600s.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I think its been proven that doing anything higher than towpowers or whatever size it was has a minimal gain because there isnt enough fuel to really get past the 700hp mark. Guys have thrown a few different sizes of turbos on trucks and only made high 6's with stock fuel. But as soon as fuel is thrown into the picture its a completely different story. But Mike was running a 72mm with an 83mm on just a lift pump system and ran it without problems, I think that says enough. And I only use Mike as an example because he as far as Ive read on here is only person that has gone that big on the high pressure turbo, but there are plenty of guys, even within the last year and a half Ive been on the ford forums that have ran pretty big set ups with stock or close to stock fuel.

Im not trying to argue and be an a**. But you brought it up and im just trying to explain my point. It might not be enough to run the turbos hard but it can and has been done

High 600 vs like 707 I don't really feel that says anything

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Tow power x high power and max powers all doing 670-690 and mike did what 710? What im saying is it doesn't prove anything let's call all of them 700 hp trucks.

Add fuel to mikes high powers or max powers your 780, 850,875 respectively

madman1234509

Reaction score
I think I get what youre saying? And I agree with you i think. You get to a point, and your power is maxed out/ limited by fuel. All I was saying is you can put relatively large chargers on and run them on stock fuel. You might not make more then high 600's but itd be safer then slamming fuel to it before you did bigger turbos. I want to do a 64/84 compound setup this summer. Im going to do it, at first, on stock fuel or just a lift pump. I personally wouldnt spend the money and effort to go that big if you never had plans on doing fuel mods to a truck. I eventually plan on doing minor fueling, but am going to get the turbos on it first.

Klutch

Reaction score
hell i made 947 with one stage and stock fuel with just the 72 but that was a large stage lol

Doesn't this show there's enough fuel, but a huge restriction on intake/heads etc.? Yeah you can cram more air in with turbos, but has anyone tried a different intake or ported with stock fuel and tow powers or similar? Or ported or billet heads? And yes, I understand the stock fuel would be falling off with atomization, just curious if anyone has tried it.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I'm considering the Steed Speed manifolds and ported intake manifold as my next mods. Stock fuel other than Air Dog and ported rails. Not going to port the heads though.

Dustball8504

Reaction score

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
I would say that Gearhead has the tuning down pretty well for no smoke on these 6.4's

pog

Reaction score
I will see after I have my single + gearhead tuning :D

Wemoy1

Reaction score
Do you have to put on Elites intake upgrade for the AFE intakes if you put the Batmo wheels in?