Has anyone ever had a problem with redhead steering boxes?

chaselee

Reaction score
My gearbox was worn out so I bought a redhead. After we put it on truck would absolutely not turn if I was sitting still. Rolling even a little bit it was butter, but not stopped at all. So after about a week of driving it, just to make sure all the air was out of the system, same thing. I contacted redhead and they told me that my pump was more than likely weak, and with the new, tighter tolerances of their box it was making the problem more evident. I assumed as much myself, so I put a brand new power steering pump on the ole girl. Same story! Still would not turn while stopped. So once again I drove it for about a week and nothing got better.

So last night I went to a mechanic buddy's house that I off-road with and he drilled out the valve in the power steering pump 1/32 bigger to see if more flow would help. Still nothing! So today I called redhead back and they are sending me a new gear box. They said they would go through a few of them and send me one that is a little "looser" than the others. Does this make any sense to anyone.

Granted my old gear box was worn out, but even it would turn my 37s sitting still. I'm just frustrated because now I've got to go through the whole process of replacing it again. In hopes that this will fix it.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Welcome to the parts world. Lmao. Sometimes **** just doesn't work, even if brand new.

I've had my RH box now for 5 years. Absolutely perfect.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
OBS and SD 7.3 power steering pumps are junk no matter what, factory, remanufactured, brand new, etc. They are all junk. I'm not surprised you cant turn while sitting still.

After seeing your sig, I see now, ESPECIALLY with 37s! I cant even do it with 35s without lifting myself out of my seat trying to turn the wheel!

Stock flow on our box is 1.8gpm at 1100psi, which is garbage for what we need, especially if you hydroboost. 3-4gpm @1500psi would make you turn those 37s while stopped though.

I chalk it up to being absolutely normal.

glovemeister

Reaction score
Redhead QC has gone down last few years I believe.

Bluetop I believe, is another option. Think it was started by an ex Redhead employee.