7.3 surging after oil change

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Well another question would be what's a good oil that I can buy locally to run in my 7.3? I thought Rotella was good so the last 2 oil changes I have run it and the truck runs like crap. Before I had a oil change place do it I believe they ran Rotella also but not sure but I know I never had any issue like I'm having now. I try to change my oil every 3,000 miles but was a little over this time.

Oil was still clear but darker, at 3,000 miles it still looks new. Besides Jims stuff what do you guys recommend ? Oh and I run this in my 5.3 tahoe as well.

brockshields38

Reaction score
Good oil is amsoil. 5/40 synthetic. Religiously use this stuff and change every 10-12k miles or (15-20k kms)

Arisley

Reaction score
Good oil is amsoil. 5/40 synthetic. Religiously use this stuff and change every 10-12k miles or (15-20k kms)

Hard to get Amsoil at Tractor Supply though. Although I agree the oil is OK, I hate the company.

OK thanks. That's the Delo 400sde 15/40? If so Tractor Supple has it cheap.

Yes. And by the way, 5000 mile OCI are fine.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score

thats funny. I ran Amsoil for several thousand miles. I was a CH away from pulling my motor to check for a cracked pick up tube my oil was SOOO aireted.... it ran so choppy... then I switched oils and problem solved...

Im starting to think OP is having a fuel pressure problem or an internal injector failure...

I would run the trucks balls to the wall and check the oil and see if its all bubbly.

do you have fuel pressure gauge? that would be nice to watch as fuel pressure/condition directly affects ICP

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I know when I get a little hot I start to feel a slight chop and I can watch my fuel pressure go erratic, noting crazy, just maybe a 3-5 psi fluctuation, the gauge barely moves but I have something going on.

mandkole

Reaction score
Sounds like air entrainment. I'd just take it out and drive it to see if the air clears out. Get some gauges on the low press oil, fuel and hp oil systems to see if there's an issue.

uncool

Reaction score
I run Mobil Delvac 1300, 15W/40. Always have, never given me issues.

I also use the Donaldson DBL 7405 oil filter and a Baldwin B164 as a bypass filter.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
meh, i and a couple others have had better luck with delo 15w40 over amsoil. amsoil will put a nice layer of scum on the top end of the motor. at least it did in my 01 back when my brother was running it in it before i bought it from him. others reported the same findings. my brothers pulling tractor (farmall m) had the same thing happen to it when he ran amsoil. left a good 1/4 inch of film on the head.
I run Mobil Delvac 1300, 15W/40. Always have, never given me issues.

I also use the Donaldson DBL 7405 oil filter and a Baldwin B164 as a bypass filter.
pshhhh, wtf do you know?

live life full throttle

psmike

Reaction score
wait I thought the new Delo wasn't good for the 7.3 I use to run the older cj 4 ? delo but cant find it any more..

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
wait I thought the new Delo wasn't good for the 7.3 I use to run the older cj 4 ? delo but cant find it any more..
I noticed the same thing, but I needed to change the oil so CK4 Delo 400 went in. No problems in 4500 miles

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dmd

Reaction score
4000 miles wont be a problem, it is longer term that will. I went with Lubrication Engineers oil. They will ship it to you of the price you ca get store bought oil and it is supposed to be much better quality.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I noticed the same thing, but I needed to change the oil so CK4 Delo 400 went in. No problems in 4500 miles

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
like mentioned. its not short term. its long term issues..

everything i own will be swapped to LE lubricants.

live life full throttle

dmd

Reaction score
When my 7.3 started surging at start it was the HPOP not enough pressure. Swapped it
out with a Adrenaline and it was good again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.