6.4 barely making any boost or power

Faster

Reaction score
I was on the highway the other day, and I went to pass someone and gave it some pedal, and it barely went anywhere and just shot some black smoke out of the exhaust. It just recently had a new trans done, so I assumed it was something with that, but as I drove it, I noticed it was boosting very low, like around 5-6psi under full acceleration. The truck has an sct livewire running a street tune from Rudy's, an AFE 4" straight pipe, and a S&B cold air.
Anyone that can help me out I would be very appreciative.

The only code that came up was a P1000

The truck has 107k miles, I change the fuel filters religiously at every other other oil change as well. And do oil every 5k. There isnt 2k miles since the fuel filters were last done.
I think I either have a boost leak or something is up with the VGT actuator or maybe EBP sensor. Anyone else have experience with them?

HossDieselWorks

Reaction score
I second the up-pipes. The 6.4's are notorious for leaking up-pipes at the bellows or the cross-over for the EGR. I have replaced mine on all of my trucks as well as many customers trucks with a set of Rudy's SS Heavy Duty.

There are other manufacturer's that offer beefed up versions with or without the EGR provision. They can be a pain to replace due to the location of the EGR cross-over in regards to removing the turbo bolts. A lot of people will jack up the cab a few inches to give more clearance for working around everything. I have also done a bunch of sets with dropping the trans, gives full access to everything and makes them super easy to replace.

HossDieselWorks

Reaction score
Use a flashlight and even an inspection mirror to help you see. Look for any signs of soot on the pipes themselves or the firewall. If its cool enough and cant see, use your hands to feel around and them check your hands for soot. Any soot and you have an up-pipe that is less than happy with life.

co04cobra

Reaction score
It’s not “only” a up-pipe leak if you only have 5-6 total boost. You would hear a hole that big with no ?

HossDieselWorks

Reaction score
When one of my up-pipes blew on my 2010 regular cab I was making around 5-7 lbs of boost. Didn't hear anything hiss wise or windy gushing sound wise. It blew at the bend on the driver's side where it attaches to the manifold.

Faster

Reaction score
UPDATE:
so i checked as much as I could with no luck and ended up bringing it to the dealer. They called me back and said that my S&B intake came apart and a piece of it got sucked into the turbos and grenaded them. I'm actually not 100% clear if they said both or one turbo got destroyed, but the quote they gave me included both. I'm going to just show up and take a look at it this weekend myself, but I'm obviously not too happy with the situation. They quoted me $6200 for the job including parts lol.

HossDieselWorks

Reaction score
Ouch, that sucks to hear! I was hoping for up-pipes, and I am sure your wallet would feel much better doing up-pipes compared to replacing the turbos.

I wonder what came apart on the S&B. I ran one for a while without any issues and than switched over to a No Limit Fab one. I still have a ton of customers running S&B without any issues.

What does Ford get for a set of replacement turbos these days? Can you work with the dealer at all, supply your own parts? If you can I would give Mike @ No Limit Fabrication a call and he can set you up with some new ones. You can go back with a factory replacement or an upgraded set for towing or more power. And they all will work with your SCT without any issues. He can also save you some $$$ compared to the dealer, Im pretty sure of that.

I also assume the dealer is going to remove the cab to do turbos? I used to be a Ford tech and I either did them cab on, or just loosened the body mounts if the up-pipe bolts at the turbo were really on there.

Let us know, and hope it all works out.

sootie

Reaction score
Dude, used turbos can be had for 450.00 and like CTC says only a few hours labour. I'm not as fast as him but it takes me 4-6 hours cab on. I budget for at least two broken up pipe bolts lol

Faster

Reaction score
Yeah I'm obviously not going to pay them that kind of money haha. Does anyone have any experience with the BD screamer turbos? Part number BD-1047081

Latest posts

Members online