Mysterious Air Lock

crash86

Reaction score
Ive been battling this for a few months now and cant resolve my problem. I can start it up and it blows white. It continues to constantly blow white smoke until the motor warms up. I can be driving down the road and its running fine then after about 5-10 miles it will start to pick up air in the fuel and die. We've put an electric fuel pump in by-passing the mechanical pump, we put an in-line filter in before the electric to catch debris. Also we changed tanks because there was a build up of rust and we thought that was the problem, but apparently not. We've changed all the fuel filters, we knocked the bb out on the injector pump thinking the pump was building up too much pressure and we've even taken off the gas caps thinking it was vapor lock. The injector pump was rebuilt. We have ran a new line from the sending unit to the selector valve (we've by-passed the selector valve previously, it wasnt the problem) We have ran a new line from the electric pump straight to the new water separator we installed. And we have ran a new line from the water separator straight to the filter housing in top of the motor and also one from the water separator straight onto to the line that supplies the injector pump. Idk what else to try. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Ive been battling this for a few months now and cant resolve my problem. I can start it up and it blows white. It continues to constantly blow white smoke until the motor warms up. I can be driving down the road and its running fine then after about 5-10 miles it will start to pick up air in the fuel and die. We've put an electric fuel pump in by-passing the mechanical pump, we put an in-line filter in before the electric to catch debris. Also we changed tanks because there was a build up of rust and we thought that was the problem, but apparently not. We've changed all the fuel filters, we knocked the bb out on the injector pump thinking the pump was building up too much pressure and we've even taken off the gas caps thinking it was vapor lock. The injector pump was rebuilt. We have ran a new line from the sending unit to the selector valve (we've by-passed the selector valve previously, it wasnt the problem) We have ran a new line from the electric pump straight to the new water separator we installed. And we have ran a new line from the water separator straight to the filter housing in top of the motor and also one from the water separator straight onto to the line that supplies the injector pump. Idk what else to try. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

another pump and injectors should be on your list of things to do...

Fordguy100

Reaction score
Both pumps (or before and after rebuild) have acted the same way with constant white smoke and then dying 5-10 minutes later?

When it has white smoke is it constant, or seem to chug with one cylinder? Although that's a possibility (bad cylinder/injector), it wouldn't explain that it dies on you.

Honestly, I would probably take your pump off the frame, and put it up by the engine for a test. Get a couple feet of hose, attach to the filter inlet, and then run the pump from 5 gallon container of diesel. At least with everything up top you will have a better chance of narrowing things down.

It could very well be a bad pump. Some shops dont really do a rebuild but cheat and just do gaskets, and clean it up. Not saying your shop did that, but its a possibility. Whats the shops reputation?

crash86

Reaction score
Yes, both pumps do this. When it white smokes its constant. I'll try what you explained. And the place I got my pump rebuilt has a good reputation. And also the injectors were replaced 5k miles ago.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Yes, both pumps do this. When it white smokes its constant. I'll try what you explained. And the place I got my pump rebuilt has a good reputation. And also the injectors were replaced 5k miles ago.

well if the delivery system is in order? you need to go back after the high pressure system. most commonly compression willblow past a injector nozzle and airrate a system. ive never seen this on a idi being that the injector sprays into a pre chamber. first thought there would be chit intake valve not seating against the head.

second would be the high pressure system blowing back into the low pressure, which would be the injection pump.

your going to need to put a gauge on the delivery system and see what the needle does when the truck wigs out.

if the needle spikes up above delivery pressure rapidly, the issue will be in the pump, and or injector/s

Idiesel

Reaction score
Think we have traced the problem guys! It was the line coming from the sending unit to the selector valve. We changed the connectors when we replaced the tank thinking that was some of the issue. Well it was but after tracing the connectors again we came to find the connectors were loose, so we ditched the connectors and we went the old fashioned way with hose and and a couple of clamps. So far no problems and no smoke.
Thanks for all the help guys!!
-Colton

Sent from my iPhone