Ceramic Coating

Krack

Reaction score
So the plan is to keep this truck for a while. I know I always say that but I am really going to try and keep this one around for 7 plus years. We will see if that actually happens. I live in Seattle, the land of the rain and hippies. I am debating if I should drop the coin on having the whole truck and rims ceramic coated. The truck lives outside all the time because it will not fit in my garage. Has anyone had any experiences, either good or bad with doing the life time warrantied ceramic coatings? I have heard that they help a huge amount with not only keeping the paint clean but with helping to minimize small scratches. The truck spends a fair amount of time off road in the mountains and hunting. There is a place locally that will do the whole truck, 5 coats with lifetime warranty for 2 grand. Debating if it is worth the money or not. It will be the Ceramic Pro coating.

jim.kukulski.

Reaction score
I had the paint correction and Ceramic Pro Gold lifetime done. It’s far easier to keep clean. I’d do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnp115

Reaction score
It definitely helps with making maintenance washes easier and quicker but IT IS NOT an end all be all for preventing scratches and chips. It definitely helps minimize scratches too but again it is not a 100% protection.

Krack

Reaction score
I am looking for something that also helps keep my lazy ass from having to wax the big ol girl quite as much. I know that it wont keep my from getting some Idaho pinstripes when driving through brush, but anything to help keep from getting the dreaded swirl marks in the black paint. I always keep telling myself that i will never buy another black vehicle. Currently I own three, and my last 7 have been black. :redspotdance:

NY_Mott

Reaction score
So my local shop said 1700 for paint correction and lifetime ceramic pro... not really sure what life time includes so I need to look into it, is it just touch ups or a new coat every year; these are the things I need to know...

Buddy of mine got it on his black corvette and said it helps but he would not do it again.
I'm still debating if I should do it or not.. I believe the ceramic pro is uv light treated between coats but again still trying to research it...
Other shop it town has a kit I'm not sure of the name but it's 900 with paint correction but also seemed like no lifetime and only lasts 3 years or so....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quigs4u

Reaction score
I’ve had multiple cars done with the complete ceramic pro 9h lifetime treatment. Includes the wheels. Apparently they use a different product on the wheels and glass as the rest of the vehicle. Either way no doubt it’s best money I’ve spent on the vehicles. Annually I receive a full detail and any touch ups they feel necessary absolutely at no cost. I spend 1/4 the amount of time on washing etc. foam cannon leaf blower 20 minutes show ready it’s a huge time saver. Don’t think it will keep stone chips off that’s what the 3m wrap is for but for easy maintaining and always waxed wet look ceramic pro is the ticket.

jim.kukulski.

Reaction score
He’s exactly right.
I just did my first mit wash and with the foam cannon and blow drying it took me less than 30 minuets. And looks like it was just waxed. I even do the two bucket method with the mitts.
It cleans way easier.

jim.kukulski.

Reaction score
e9860eed3a4ce3cec19d65228b10be54.jpg

NY_Mott

Reaction score
That's reassuring to hear, I will have to ask my guy if the lifetime comes with the same perks as your getting...

Do you have the 3m protection as Well?
If so did you do it your self or pay to have it done and if so where did you do and approximately how much was it?

I do vinyl decals and my buddy does it for a living so I kind of wonder if it's similar and I can install it my self...

Lastly I have read conflicting statements of the protection and how you can and can not put ceramic pro over it, any truth to this from you experience ?

Thanks...

Quigs4u

Reaction score
That's reassuring to hear, I will have to ask my guy if the lifetime comes with the same perks as your getting...

Do you have the 3m protection as Well?
If so did you do it your self or pay to have it done and if so where did you do and approximately how much was it?

I do vinyl decals and my buddy does it for a living so I kind of wonder if it's similar and I can install it my self...

Lastly I have read conflicting statements of the protection and how you can and can not put ceramic pro over it, any truth to this from you experience ?

Thanks...

My cts-v has 3m protection on hood fenders and front bumper/valance with ceramic pro over top of it. Cost 2k in New Jersey. The car is black so I wanted paint chip protection as well. It cleans up just like the rest of the car. No visible lines etc if I didn’t tell you it was on it 99% wouldn’t know it. My opinion on the cost reflects the finished product. I’ve seen protection wraps that look crappy with visible seems and poor cuts around trim and headlights etc.. I’m not a vinyl guy and I didn’t want to waste cash on the material “trying it out” so I paid to have it done. I probably paid a little on the high side for it but I believe the results justify it.

As far as over or on top. My ceramic pro guy is a licensed authorized distributor/installer. My warranty and annual touch up/maintenance can be done nationwide at any licensed/authorized ceramic pro location. He said it’s safe to go over the 3m material so that’s what I did. I’m assuming during the annual visit if a stone has penetrated or made imperfections that’s when he corrects the area and then reapplies the coating as necessary. Fortunately I have not had to deal with this yet so don’t take that as a fact. I am only assuming that is the process. It’s a great question, hopefully someone else with 1st hand experience can chime in on that specifically.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Right on thanks for a detailed response...

Jersey you say, dang I'm in NY might just need to contact your guy; where about in Jersey are you.
I'm just into NY where it meets NJ and PA.

Quigs4u

Reaction score
I’m in south jersey cherry hill area. Here’s a link to my guy. Give him a call he is very knowledgeable owner is nick he can answer all your questions
http://aodetail.com

Jomax

Reaction score
Ceramic pro is overpriced.. opti coat pro is a good one along with Cquartz finest.

Main thing is maintenance, everyone that replied in this thread that has a coating does one thing that keeps it nice, they are super careful with how they wash it. That is the MAIN way to keep your truck clean and looking good.

Coatings are great, they last about 2 years tops, anyone who says otherwise is lying to you. As for lifetime warranty, I’m curious as to what they consider warranty when the coating wears out.

For the 3m paint film, it is NOT the same as installing vinyl stickers. I’d take it to a professional installer. If you have a black truck, take it to the best you can possibly find. Black shows stretch marks in the clear bra. 90% of clear bra installers are NOT good enough to get it perfect in black paint. The hoods on these 2017s are a bit tough to wrap.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
I had mine detailed and Opti-coat pro applied. It sheds water way better than wax ever has and makes it really easy to wash all the crap off. I will do it again on every vehicle I can afford to do it on. Using the 2 bucket method with the ONR rinse-less wash and it is pretty easy and takes about the same amount of time as hand washing did before. I paid $2K and even if I get 2-3 years out of it, it is still cheaper than a detail and much less impact on the paint. I've never been a fan of regular car washes, so not using one because of the coating warranty doesn't bother me much.

dcswetman

Reaction score
Any of y’all every used Glasslife Atlanta or seen the the work they have done in person? The stuff they put on the bookface looks unreal.

jim.kukulski.

Reaction score
Ceramic pro is overpriced.. opti coat pro is a good one along with Cquartz finest.

Main thing is maintenance, everyone that replied in this thread that has a coating does one thing that keeps it nice, they are super careful with how they wash it. That is the MAIN way to keep your truck clean and looking good.

Coatings are great, they last about 2 years tops, anyone who says otherwise is lying to you. As for lifetime warranty, I’m curious as to what they consider warranty when the coating wears out.

For the 3m paint film, it is NOT the same as installing vinyl stickers. I’d take it to a professional installer. If you have a black truck, take it to the best you can possibly find. Black shows stretch marks in the clear bra. 90% of clear bra installers are NOT good enough to get it perfect in black paint. The hoods on these 2017s are a bit tough to wrap.

My guy re applies it yearly, that’s the lifetime part lol.
Does a free detail at the same time.

Quigs4u

Reaction score
My guy re applies it yearly, that’s the lifetime part lol.
Does a free detail at the same time.

Same.
Free annual detail for life- hard to complain about that.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.