AKF250 Alaska Build - (650-700HP BUILD)

akf250

Reaction score
Progress

Progress.... what exhaust is that?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

MBRP 4" Duals with MBRP T5053 Exhaust Tips

Fought getting the Pitman Arm off the Steering Pump. Little heat and now the Red Head Pump is in and that's about it.

attachment.jpg

Snowbike maintenance took over the shop for a bit :D:D

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8480.JPG
    IMG_8480.JPG
    961.8 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_8484.JPG
    IMG_8484.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 324
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 312

akf250

Reaction score
Opinion

Looking for opinion on some last purchases...

I have a concern about these plastic rocker arm clips on these reman parts.Found one had fallen out when I got them, tried to put it back in and the tab snapped off super easy. Any other options out there? Metal Clips?

attachment.jpg

Also my old valve bridges and the reman ones that I got have these grooves in the face of them. Are they all like that? Can you get brand new bridges anywhere?

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Also, does anyone make a kit with high pressure braided lines for a 6.4? No twin pumps just fuel bowl ******v

Attachments

• IMG_8481.JPG
    IMG_8481.JPG
    940.6 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_8483.JPG
    IMG_8483.JPG
    635.5 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_8482.JPG
    IMG_8482.JPG
    593.5 KB · Views: 310

kleake

Reaction score
I have the flow-pro 4" duals with MBRP tips is why I ask. I really like mine, but rarely see another with duals. I also have the redhead steering box and so far it's working great! I'm running 35x12.50x20's and the factory box struggled to turn them while sitting still. The redhead still struggles some, but is considerably better.

The rocker bridges are all like that from what I've seen. Shouldn't be an issue since there isn't much stress on that location of the bridge.

The clips, well, lots of them fall off. I haven't seen any other clips, but I re-used some of my originals that were the white plastic instead of the newer black plastic. They seem to be a little stronger and less brittle. The clip only holds the rocker in place until tension is on the valve train.

Jsexton

Reaction score
The best part about having dual exhaust is watching to smoke roll out both sides when you get on it

akf250

Reaction score
Thanks

I have the flow-pro 4" duals with MBRP tips is why I ask. I really like mine, but rarely see another with duals. I also have the redhead steering box and so far it's working great! I'm running 35x12.50x20's and the factory box struggled to turn them while sitting still. The redhead still struggles some, but is considerably better.

The rocker bridges are all like that from what I've seen. Shouldn't be an issue since there isn't much stress on that location of the bridge.

The clips, well, lots of them fall off. I haven't seen any other clips, but I re-used some of my originals that were the white plastic instead of the newer black plastic. They seem to be a little stronger and less brittle. The clip only holds the rocker in place until tension is on the valve train.

Good to hear about the steering box, I was on the fence about the swap but insurance is insurance, I know it'll be a improvement. My original rocker arms came with a beefier looking set of yellow clips....might examine and re-use. Sounds like they are a issue but not to big of a deal once there is tension applied. It needs to stop snowing up here so I can put the winter toys away and focus on the truck! Its been dumping at altitude across most of Alaska this week and all the freshies is really distracting :toast::cursing::joy:

akf250

Reaction score
Motor In

Got the cam & lifters in the motor and the motor back in the frame

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8601.JPG
    IMG_8601.JPG
    593.7 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_8602.JPG
    IMG_8602.JPG
    546.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_8603.JPG
    IMG_8603.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_8604.JPG
    IMG_8604.JPG
    320.5 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_8605.JPG
    IMG_8605.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 220

akf250

Reaction score
Motor In

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8606.JPG
    IMG_8606.JPG
    293 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_8610.JPG
    IMG_8610.JPG
    314.5 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_8611.JPG
    IMG_8611.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_8613.JPG
    IMG_8613.JPG
    340.9 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_8614.JPG
    IMG_8614.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 215

akf250

Reaction score
Update

Front Cover on, Rear Cover on, New Starter In, Studs in, Headgasket On, Heads on, New Flywheel bolted on, and Transmission mostly in.

Made it to the last torque converter bolt and it dropped through the small gap and fell behind the flywheel :fustrate: finding friends with long flexible magnets before undoing and starting over...it always has to be on the last step where it goes wrong :lame:

Also broke the windy CCV tube that comes from the bottom of the crank...ordered a new one...probably a good idea to replace the brittle plastic anywho

Finally got all my cab insulators in after my dealer ordered the wrong ones on three separate occasions...small win!

Also, got my new wastegate dump pipe ordered from SDP...hopefully be here in time for up-pipe mock up

Slowely but surely parts are getting put on for the last time!

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8658.JPG
    IMG_8658.JPG
    349.9 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_8660.JPG
    IMG_8660.JPG
    490.1 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_8662.JPG
    IMG_8662.JPG
    585.5 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_8664.JPG
    IMG_8664.JPG
    720.9 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_8666.JPG
    IMG_8666.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 321

akf250

Reaction score
attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8667.JPG
    IMG_8667.JPG
    698.9 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_8668.JPG
    IMG_8668.JPG
    643.3 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_8669.JPG
    IMG_8669.JPG
    420.4 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_8670.JPG
    IMG_8670.JPG
    712.9 KB · Views: 325

akf250

Reaction score
Progress

The light is at the end of the tunnel! Got the valvetrain in, fuel system all tightened up, tranny in and drivelines in, wiring is 80% clicked in with all new sensors, and got my new fox 2.0 shocks on.

Alternator, crank balancer, belts and pulleys on the front.

Turbos, Up-pipes, and wastegate plumbing on the back

Then its almost cab time!

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Does anyone have a helpful list for start up? Whats the best way to crank the motor without ignition for priming? What are common things forgotten on startup? Is there any computer modules that need to be re-flashed before startup?

Attachments

• IMG_8796.JPG
    IMG_8796.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 320
  • IMG_8795.JPG
    IMG_8795.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 328

Lipka101

Reaction score
The light is at the end of the tunnel! Got the valvetrain in, fuel system all tightened up, tranny in and drivelines in, wiring is 80% clicked in with all new sensors, and got my new fox 2.0 shocks on.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Does anyone have a helpful list for start up? Whats the best way to crank the motor without ignition for priming? What are common things forgotten on startup? Is there any computer modules that need to be re-flashed before startup?

Use the jumper wire by pass side battery box to prime oil. Cycle key to prime fuel and fire it up. Smoky burnouts after 5 minutes of idle time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sootie

Reaction score
with the cab up i always run 12v to the frame fuel pump and let it run for a while and periodically poke the schraeder valve to let the air out. :whs: about using the jumper to prime the oil once the cab is down.

akf250

Reaction score
CCV

attachment.jpg

Where are people running these lines? Are they supposed to go down to a catch can?

Attachments

• ccv.JPG
    ccv.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 266

Jtreece

Reaction score
sweet build man you dropped some serious coin on this one. I miss Alaska I worked up on the slope for a year and been trying to come back ever since. can wait to see this thing run!!!

White_monster

Reaction score

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Disconnect the Hpfp harness. You can crank all you want and it won't start. It will run the lpfp and pump oil through the engjne as well so everything is lubed before start up.

akf250

Reaction score
Update - Turbo Rebuild

Disconnect the Hpfp harness. You can crank all you want and it won't start. It will run the lpfp and pump oil through the engjne as well so everything is lubed before start up.

Sweet! Cant wait tell I get to that point.

UPDATE...Another setback.

Went to install the set of "lightly used ran perfectly fine when uninstalled" Jr. High Powers that I bought used from a member and found the VGT actuator arm to be sticking. Split the high pressure turbo to check it out and found a completely destroyed turbine wheel and a missing retainer clip on the actuator arm. Turbo just arrived at Elite Diesel today so hopefully they can stick to the advertised week and a half turn around time (Josh has been great to deal with and is helping me out with a few other upgrades while I'm talking to them).

I chalk the turbine wheel discovery as a win since I wouldn't have been able to really tell once installed. Gonna clean the turbos up and get rid of a bit of surface rust that started.

Webasto install is moving along. Got my mounting plate completed, now I just gotta get some holes in the frame for mounting and run the line from back to front.

Hopefully have it all back together for fall and then get a nice set of American Force Wheels wrapped in winter tires for pulling the toys around in the cold.

Latest posts

Members online