Help! Turbo failure

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
Hey guys, my best friend bought a 2000 f250 7.3, it's got 320,000 miles or so. It has a 4" do, 5" exhaust, 180cc full force injectors, and an sct tuner with custom tunes. One day he got on it in the hot tune and it lost power and made a blowing noise. I believe the blowing noise to be a broken drivers side up pipe, as the truck only runs 10psi at best now, and the oil leaking from the turbo would indicate a blown o ring. Last week it lost throttle response completely and we found it had leaked all of the oil out of the turbo pedestal (he had just changed the oil a month ago), we filled it up and it was fine. Yesterday he called me and said the truck bogs down when he puts it in reverse and died once when he put it in drive. I suspect a roasted torque converter(?). Today he called and said its billowing white smoke and wont idle. I told him the o ring probably let go and its burning oil. I said do not drive it anymore. I am deathly afraid of a run on situation, especially for my best friend.

That's a lot to read, I know. Based on all that information, would you guys agree that it's safe to assume the problems are a blown turbo (at this point), broken up pipe, and dying torque converter?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Pop the hood and look.

Take the intake tube off the turbo, see if spins freely, do the blades hit the side of the housing?

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
I'm not there. I cant check. He has a new gtp38 sitting in the back seat. I'm asking if theres more wrong based on the symptoms.

DieselDC

Reaction score
It would be easier if your bf asked himself so you don’t have to be the middle man.

White smoke - could be lots of fuel and no air (turbo). Usually lots of air and a turbo that can’t keep up would be rolling coal too.

As suggested, take the I take pipe off and see if she spins freely.

Turbo replace is a good time to replace all orings, fuel line gaskets too. ****** pedestal and plenum inserts would be awesome!

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
Yeah ik but he wont do this himself lol. He has a complete turbo off another '00 psd with the pedestal and all. So it should be a full replacement.

DieselDC

Reaction score
Yeah ik but he wont do this himself lol. He has a complete turbo off another '00 psd with the pedestal and all. So it should be a full replacement.

10-4 sounds like an ass bf I have. If I won’t do it for him, he’ll be still at square one and still broke on the side of the road haha

Tell him about some of those options I stated for longevity and reliability.

—————signature—————

Strokersace

Reaction score
10-4 sounds like an ass bf I have. If I won’t do it for him, he’ll be still at square one and still broke on the side of the road haha

Tell him about some of those options I stated for longevity and reliability.

—————signature—————

You his Besty? Or are you his b!tch?

Sounds like the latter...

DieselDC

Reaction score
You his Besty? Or are you his b!tch?

Sounds like the latter...

Lil bit of both lol. Laugh at me now but what will we do without our bfs 🤣 beer by yourself is kinda boring!

Cheers

—————signature—————

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
So my buddy with the truck had his former Ford diesel tech uncle come look at it last night, and the issue is slightly more severe than we thought. Turns out the truck was sold to him with a bad bearing on cylinder number 1 which desintegrated and destroyed the cylinder and piston head. It now has zero compression and the blow by test cannot even be performed, it looks like the oil filler neck is a hoodstack, it's the worst blow by I've ever seen.

So yeah my buddy's 7.3 is down for the count, but he has found a few complete motors for sale.

DieselDC

Reaction score
Keep us updated. Make sure once he gets the new motor that he reseals/rebuilds all the components on top. New bellowed ho pipe and ******d pedestal would be awesome

—————signature—————

wildbill963258

Reaction score
Sounds like a perfect time to do a complete rebuild/modify the motor after he gets the running motor in the truck then when he is done he can turn around and sale that running motor to pay for his build or at least that is what I would do LOL

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
Yeah the motors he found are

1- 110k mile forged 2000 block, all stock

2- 180k mile l99 forged block, riff raff built "stage 2" with injectors new turbo, bellowed up pipes, t500(?) Hpop, etc.

Then we will build a 6637 cai and a 444fab efuel to try and keep this one reliable.

I like the idea of buying a built truck, but I think this kinda proves that you dont know what you're gonna get. Mine is also at 320k, but I'm the 2nd owner and I'm the only one who has modified my truck. We have pretty much the same build but his is a 2000 with 180cc injectors and mine is a 97 with stock injectors.

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
Here are our trucks if you're wondering, our other buddies trucks are the '11 chevy z71 and another '97 f250 7.3

Attachments

• Snapchat-156401807.jpg
    Snapchat-156401807.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 20180707_133123.jpg
    20180707_133123.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20180721_204531_666.jpg
    IMG_20180721_204531_666.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 46

DieselDC

Reaction score
110 and 180 is the same to me... that’s just beginning to break in.

#2 for sure. Look at the goodies that comes with it!

—————signature—————

wildbill963258

Reaction score
I like to stick with stock especially when buying from someone you dont know because you dont know how they actually treated it they may have treated it like gold but then again they may have treated the motor like **** especially if it has performance goodies on it you could buy the 180k motor and just use it as a temporary replacement until the original motor gets built up til you need the performance goodies odf the 180k motor

TunnelRam7_3

Reaction score
Yeah so it is stock but he will throw in the performance stuff for an added price, I misunderstood. That's the 180k one.

The 111k one is stock from a work truck. Hes leaning 111k with his performance stuff thrown in. I actually lean towards the 180k one.

Latest posts

Members online