Need some help

DieselMater86

Reaction score
2003 dually just had motor bulletproofed. Drove maybe 20min no problems went to a meeting came out had a oil leak I made sure to park in a clear spot. So check oil good and got back on interstate all of a sudden black smoke from out of nowhere and I'm talking BLACk badtruck died. Starting it back up had to crank a bit then started run for maybe 30 seconds and died. Had it towed home guy came with his scanner and after the truck would start idle for about 30 seconds would misfire and shake then die and start back up after cranking (crank time was the same always about 10 seconds).
his scanner showed 1 3 5 balance codes would go to -28 is what he said I'm pretty sure. And the whole underneath my truck is covered in oil bad. Yet I crawled everywhere looking for an oil leak but nothing I could find. The injectors were just built and he was suppose to have rebuilt my powermax also.

The only problem I had before was stiction. So I decided to have it tore down and bulletproofed, injectors built, and the sct. Any ideas to what is causing this. It's been towed back to the shop but I still would like to know what's going on.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Any white smoke as well? It could be a loose injector, also possibly hpop dying

DieselMater86

Reaction score
No white smoke. Just weird the hpop all of a sudden though I have oil all over in the front of the motor underneath on the tailgate everything. I have some pictures but I'm on the forum with my phone I haven't tried loading pictures that way.

DieselMater86

Reaction score
20160401_180808.jpg

20160401_180721.jpg

20160401_180153.jpg

20160401_180140.jpg

20160401_180123.jpg

Yea noticed that my ficm was in with on bolt I could grab it and move it alot. Degas bottle had one bolt in it and barely any coolant. I'm real pissed off with this guy my truck came back after me having to cuss him out and looks like he never did anything to my truck till the last minute. He had it for 5 1/2 weeks.

jake74

Reaction score
Was oil cooler replaced or removed? If so they might have messed up the block to cooler assembly gasket. As for missing and loads of black smoke makes me think injector tip and by the looks of the half a** job they did they may have dropped or banged an injector tip on something. Does it try to hydro lock?

DieselMater86

Reaction score
Everything has been checked. Icp ipr fuel pressure, oil pressure, bubble test, air test on hpop, they are putting a manual gauge on the fuel and hoop to double check the shop scan tool is reading correctly, and pulling the valve covers to check for any leaks.

So far nothing the guy that built the injectors has been in touch with him and making sure everything is being checked before those 3 injectors are sent back for no reason. Ficm is showing good on voltage and sync even when the truck starts acting up and dies. Only thing showing is those 3 losing balance.
Only thing I can think of is maybe the injector wiring harness somewhere. This is crazy it's got to be a simple fix just got to find it.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I had ne once that the guy who put an injector in before me had somehow managed to damage it. It was number 3, and wouldncause 3,5,7 to drop out. I pulled the valve cover and oil rail off and the top half of #3 came out with yhe rail.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
View attachment 42998

View attachment 42999

View attachment 43000

View attachment 43001

View attachment 43002

Yea noticed that my ficm was in with on bolt I could grab it and move it alot. Degas bottle had one bolt in it and barely any coolant. I'm real pissed off with this guy my truck came back after me having to cuss him out and looks like he never did anything to my truck till the last minute. He had it for 5 1/2 weeks.

Wow.. for a second I thought you were local cause looks EXACTLY like the **** jobs that the local flat bill shops are doing.... quality isn't cheap and cheap isn't quality. ..

DieselMater86

Reaction score
The shop doing it has a great reputation no bad words to hear of them. I had it out with the owner but he has kept his composure and has been all over it with a check list and also keeping me posted day by day. He's been all about correcting the wrong that was done.

04stroker

Reaction score
I have been in touch with the shop still does not sound like a injector to me the way ICP desired shoots up to 1500psi at idle is what he told me right when it starts to miss and die. The only thing injector related I could see causing this is a top O ring possibly damaged on install and leaking but at that point if it dies at idle because of a HPO leak I don't think it would start right back up after cranking or I have never seen that anyway. I told him to pull valve covers and check everything over did he find out where the oil came from yet by chance?

Again I really do not think this is your injectors, there is a possibility of anything but just does not sound like a injector failure to me. I will give him a call again later today and check on everything.

DieselMater86

Reaction score
Smokin Rollin Stroke.... yes I do still want to lift the dually

Rykan.. he told me you have been in touch and he has ran a series of test. He said the pho passed the air test with no leaks, bubble test was good, film voltage and sync is good, a few others. I told him to give the balloon test a try going off the symptoms of the truck. He said he was certain it was a nozzle bad but I know you flow test and do great work unless install went wrong somehow.

I have video of the truck running the week it was brought to him it would start and run with no issues. It would just have no power like running on 6 cylinders. I never got any hpop codes just (low circuit and balance on the same cylinders). Might be a injector wiring harness short. I have called and tested him today and only got back the text about maybe a nozzle. He really has stepped his game up and fixing his down fall with my truck.

Also side note you definitely have a great customer service yourself helping along the way when you did your job to a T. Thanks man

diezelfreak

Reaction score
I sent you a pm the other day get ahold of me I may have something your looking for on the lift an I don't think your to far from me anyhow.

Sent from laying in bed

04stroker

Reaction score
Smokin Rollin Stroke.... yes I do still want to lift the dually

Rykan.. he told me you have been in touch and he has ran a series of test. He said the pho passed the air test with no leaks, bubble test was good, film voltage and sync is good, a few others. I told him to give the balloon test a try going off the symptoms of the truck. He said he was certain it was a nozzle bad but I know you flow test and do great work unless install went wrong somehow.

I have video of the truck running the week it was brought to him it would start and run with no issues. It would just have no power like running on 6 cylinders. I never got any hpop codes just (low circuit and balance on the same cylinders). Might be a injector wiring harness short. I have called and tested him today and only got back the text about maybe a nozzle. He really has stepped his game up and fixing his down fall with my truck.

Also side note you definitely have a great customer service yourself helping along the way when you did your job to a T. Thanks man

Yeah what I am confused about though is the oil everywhere did anyone find the source of that? Because that did not come from a nozzle. Was not sure if a leak was found or not?

DieselMater86

Reaction score
Rykan he told me it was coolant and was checking the egr d***** tube and haven't heard anything since. He sent me a text late last night saying he would have it running today. All I know is he had on one of the SCT canned tunes and once it got on the highway only a few miles it blew a huge cloud of black smoke and died.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
its very possible, but you more than likely would have hydrolocked with the way this thing is acting. I have also seen mistorqued injectors or compromised coppers cause a big leak then reseal with carbon from blowby, but yours didnt run that long...

DieselMater86

Reaction score
Thanks for that info I figured possibly injectors being over or under torqued. But didn't think about hydrolocked. If the guy would answer his phone or text me back I know he took off and went to Rudys w hitch I'm not mad about I'm mad he has had my truck for 2 months and have had so many issues. Yes I know mechanic work is not always easy cause if it was anyone would do it. Never heard a bad word about this shop and I have sent one buddy there already and others that want to but are now being hesitant now since I have been done this way. It's getting ridiculous

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Did you ever get a number on the fuel pressure? Or are we still going off of "good"

Latest posts

Members online