5R110 stuck in 4th or 5th

Extended Power

Reaction score
The other day I was driving up a hill, and the transmission shifted into 5th locked. This caused the engine to fall under the turbos, so I hit the tow/haul button to downshift.
Truck downshifted to 4th locked, but was still not enough rpm to get the turbo lit. (Just under 2200 rpm, and I didn't want to hammer on it.)
So I grabbed the gear lever, and dropped down to 3rd, and everything seemed fine, rpm went up, boost went up, mph went up.
Once I was up to speed, I put the gear selector back into "D", and the truck shifted...but, I was watching the Edge monitor 2 display, and noticed that the gear indication was changing from 5 to 2 to 3 to 1, to 4....you get the idea...
Even though the transmission wasn't shifting, the monitor did not know what gear it was in.
So I continued on home, and after the first corner I turned, I realized the transmission was stuck in 4th gear.
Got home, shut it off, went in for supper.
Came out a couple hours later, and decided to re program the same tune back into it.
Start the truck, back out of the driveway, put it in "D", and.....I'm stuck in the middle of the street...it's like the brakes are on.
Again, reverse works good, but locked in 4th or 5th when going forward.
While driving home, I also tried to manually downshift again, and no change at all, even when I put it into 1st gear at a stop.

It's a 2003 Ford 6.0L f350, running Eric's Xtreme tune.
I haven't hammered on my truck at all lately, and this is a tune that I have run from over two years ago with no issues.

Codes pulled:
P0046
P0098
P0403
P0603
P1000
U0306

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Ivan

Extended Power

Reaction score
No.
After I was stuck in the street, and finally got it back up and into the driveway, I just put it in the shop. (No time to work on it before going back to work again.)

Things I have been told to try:

-disconnect batteries for awhile to clear codes, and try it.
-try another known working PCM out of another '03/'04 truck.
-fix the temperature sensor. (The engine/transmission rely on the sensor, and may be in limp mode because of it.)

Something else to note...my tow/haul light, on the end of the gear shift lever, is burnt out...so I can't tell if it's flashing or not. (Only codes pulled, were the ones listed above...and I tried to clear them, but they all reappeared.)

Extended Power

Reaction score
After digging into the internet, I found this:

https://rosesandwrenches.com/how-to-3/how-to-install-a-shift-solenoid-in-a-ford-5r110w-transmission/

The last sentence.....

A quick summary of the 5R110W transmission off of http://www.trucktrandiag.com is that it is a five speed transmission, with technically six gears, that is computer controlled with a lock-up torque converter clutch. In “cold mode” (under 5 deg. F.) the unit shifts 1-2-3-4-6. In “hot mode” (over 5 deg. F.) the unit shifts 1-2-3-5-6 with torque converter clutch. The gear ratios are: 1st 3.09, 2nd 2.20, 3rd 1.54, 4th 1.09, 5th 1.00, and 6th 0.71 (overdrive). In limp mode there will be certain trouble codes and/or total loss of power to the transmission resulting in use of only reverse and 5th gear.

So it seems a solenoid has piled up.
Hopefully when I get home again, I can pull the cover, and check out the solenoids.

I called NADP on Friday, but was too late to catch the transmission Tech.
Need to find out if they modify the solenoids in their rebuilds...and if they use the "Transgo" shift kits...which aren't compatible with the aftermarket solenoids that I'd like to install from MTS Diesel.

Last edited:

Extended Power

Reaction score
Anyone run any aftermarket solenoids that say they increase holding power?
I know Gogo diesel offered one way back in the day....and then joined Empire Diesel...

Anyone?

sootie

Reaction score
Anyone run any aftermarket solenoids that say they increase holding power?
I know Gogo diesel offered one way back in the day....and then joined Empire Diesel...

Anyone?

more hassle then they're worth. Elite still uses modified solenoids i believe but were a pain to tune around, never mind unreliable.
Tuning has come far enough that modded solenoids arent required if the trans is built properly imo

Extended Power

Reaction score
more hassle then they're worth. Elite still uses modified solenoids i believe but were a pain to tune around, never mind unreliable.
Tuning has come far enough that modded solenoids arent required if the trans is built properly imo

Excellent!
This also confirms what the tech at NADP said about them...that they cause more issues than they solve.

Latest posts

Members online