Injector issue??

Stroked777

Reaction score
I'm on a road trip from NY to casper wyoming, I got 70 miles away from casper and all of a sudden I got smoke out the tail pipe (see picture) it's not white or black but a blue color. I was chugging along doing 70 and then just smoke and rough idle. Checked codes and had nothing right away, check two mins later and I had a cyl 5 contribution code and cyl 5 misfire code. I got out to check blow by and it looked fine. As I closed to good to go smell the smoke from the tail pipe (smelled of diesel and combustion gases) the truck starts to knock as loud as a 6.0 and sounded just like one. I got to Casper and check codes again and had the P0275 cyl 5 contribution/balance code and a P0305 cyl 5 misfire detected code. So I'm leaning toward a cylinder 5 injector. What are you guys thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 116

Stroked777

Reaction score
Also driving along every 20 mins it would ding ding ding like the door was open but in quick succession and had nothing come up on the dash

Stroked777

Reaction score
Plan on it. At least it's a passenger side injector. Should be easy to do.

Edit. I was just in rapid city this morning. I left around 6 this morning

Stroked777

Reaction score
Also what type of socket and size bit do I need for the injector hold down? Torx? And also when I let off the throttle the truck surges bad, I'm sure it has to do with the issue at hand and possibly the elevation I'm at making it worse? Any help or insight is greatly appreciated. The truck is my only mode of transportation right now and I need to be able to get to my new job that's starts Monday. I have an injector and plan on switching it in the parking lot of the days inn hotel LOL.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Crap I hope I have that.

Just checked I got t50, t45, t40, t35 and a t30 and two others ones I didn't check. I hope I have all the tools. I'm so stressed over this. It sucks that I just moved out here and I know No one or nothing about the area and I have a job to start Wednesday lol. I need a shot... Or ten

Last edited:

HD F250

Reaction score
It's a Torx 45 and you can get one at any cheap tool store for this job. A lot cheaper than buying a new motor from a hanging injector. :thumbup:

Cknox121

Reaction score
1/4 craftsman flat head will fit in the grooves. I think it's only like 28ftlbs

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

Stroked777

Reaction score
Well I think I got everything so I'll be pulling it apart tomorrow after some rest, been driving since Friday morning, 30 hours, 2,100 miles.... I guess atleast it happened 70 miles from my final destination and not in the middle of South Dakota

Sorry I'm just venting, I never been so stressed lol. Oh well. If anyone is in the casper area and wants to stop by im at the days inn lol

Last edited:

Stroked777

Reaction score
I really appericate that man!! My injector gave out around Wright, Wyoming. Probably around 4 hours into the trip. Literally in the middle of the grass lands. No cell service... Nothing. God what a kick in the nuts

Stroked777

Reaction score
All I got is the one I have. I'll just be a little more careful. Thanks.

Is it still possible to do it with a regular torx socket with out using a long one?

Stroked777

Reaction score
Just to confirm is this pic have the cylinders labeled right? And that cyl 5 is on the pass side third one from the front

I know that's a 7.3 in the pic lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 88

Stroked777

Reaction score
Well swapped the injector out and it sounded a little better. I'm gunna take it for a drive and see if it clears up. still smoking, but I'm not sure if it's from some fuel in the piston bowl or a little air in the line. Anyone got some thought? Blow by is still normal

Stroked777

Reaction score
Bump any one have any insight? I'm in such a ****ty position now, I have no codes now for the cylinder and blow by looks to be normal. Anyone have any ideas? I'm not sure whether I should trade it in or bite the bullet and have it fixed.

Latest posts

Members online