Dual pulley tensioner belt problems

97strokerHD

Reaction score
My 97 f250HD has the upgraded dual pulley tensioner. When i bought it it had one from ford that the whole front half of the tensioner rotated so that both pulleys rotated. The replacement i got from the parts store only one of the pulleys rotate. the one from ford is 172 bucks while the one from the parts store is about 50 bucks. The belt that was on the truck is #5081223 which is about 122 3/4" long. The problem i am having now is that with the new tensioner the belt is too tight. Every time i replace i have to loosen the alternator bolts to get the belt around the pulley. The belt is also pulling the power steering pump pulley off of the pump shaft. Does anyone have a part number for a belt that is maybe a 1/2" or 1" longer? The belt i just ordered is Gates # K081243HD. It is 124 7/8" long. Hopefully this will work and give my tensioner a break. It's pretty much maxed out right now. Couldn't find a belt that was the same width and rib count in between the above two measurements. The tensioner i am using is Gates #38191. It's for a super duty but the number is supposed to replace the ford number. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

mandkole

Reaction score
That 38191 tensioner and belt is for the 99-03 SD drive layout. The OBS tensioner is the 38119 and uses an even shorter belt.

97strokerHD

Reaction score
That is correct but the number for the obs truck is only a single pulley tensioner. Ford put out a TSB before that upgraded the obs to a super duty style dual pulley tensioner. The problem that i am running into is that the dual pulley tensioner that i get from the parts store is slightly different than the dual pulley tensioner that i can get from ford. This is causing my belt to be too short. According to the parts store the super duty part replaced the TSB part put out originally by ford. The dual pulley tensioner doesn't have the problem of the obs single pulley tensioner rotating off axis as it wears. Just trying to find a belt that is the same width and rib count, but a little bit longer to account for the difference in tensioners.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
First of all, the dealer is raping you for charging you $172. The Motorcraft belt dual tensioner (part # BT-50) is $77.79 from Rock Auto or $113.00 from O-reilly's if you have near you.

The correct belt you need is Motorcraft JK81227 which is 122 7/8" long. The application is a SD truck w/o the cold weather package.

Billy T.
[email protected]

97strokerHD

Reaction score
Got the belt and tensioner from rock auto the other day. Installed them and it was much easier than any of the other tensioners. Thanks for the part numbers and info on where to get the parts. Saved me a lot of time and headache.

old man dave

Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.