My little reveiw on KEM and PIP tunes

O4ep3civ

Reaction score
The purpose of the thread wasn't to bad mouth anyone. I wanted to give a small review on my experiences with KEM and PIP in a real world environment. I ran KEM tow setting for about a 1000 miles before I decided to try PIP. Only because I heard good reviews on them. I will also be trying IDP soon. I'm not out to ruin anyone's business or say who's is better, because in the end everyone tunes are different.

Everyone has a different driving style and what types of tunes they want for their truck. All three of these tuning companies can't create a custom tune for every single person they sell to. So they try to find a happy medium in which it will work for everyone. Yes Kem has firm shifting. Yes did PIP has some lag. Each company tunes on the SCT platform completely different.

Your going to find issues with every tuning company out there. I have yet to hear of anyone having engine issues with any of these companies which is a good thing.

All reality of things stock transmissions are designed to hold power of a stock truck. Everyone drives their truck different. Some people drive like grandpas others beat the piss of of theirs. Again, all these tunes came out for one reason. Deletes. That's what everyone wants. You have to also remember every truck is different.

I personally don't think anyone should be turned away from KEM. I love their tuning. Truck sounds great and boost is awesome. I also love PIP tunes. But to really compare both of them as the same types of tunes wouldn't be right. They need to be marketed differently.

Last edited:

jcain

Reaction score
There is a whole thread about PIP tune problems and shifting/spooling complaints. Did you read that?

I have built more transmissions for h&s tuned trucks than any other. Are they bad tunes too?

Have an IDP truck just ate its second Trans in 5000 miles.

Just sent out a Trans for a guy running PIP.

So, I don't think it's isolated to anyone tuner.

It has already been explained as to what KEM has done to further their tunes with new added tunes into their library for towing and street use to help keep these transmissions alive in 2015 trucks.

I understand you do not want to run KEM, that is fine. But no need to bad mouth something/someone you have no personal experience with.

Soooo, was this a jab at me? Imagine that. Your getting kind of old with that attitude towards my company... I guess my agenda of trying to help people and get them the answers and support they need is a negative thing? Cool, thanks for your insight.

Why don't you go somewhere else.... I mean unless you have something useful to add to this thread.... Which you do not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe I said "Morgan" or "Midwest" anywhere in this thread.

But since you did try and add some statistics to the mix, might you have some quantifiable data to back that up? Say, a spreadsheet or questionnaire that people fill out when they buy a transmission from you?

Do you have any data that might suggest mods done to the truck, overall tire size (unsprung weight would be great too), frequency of towing, size of load towed, gear ratio, manner in which the truck is driven day to day, how many track passes?

Any idea how long each truck was tuned when it lost the trans? What was the scenario in which the trans let go? Which hard part gave up the ghost?

That would all be good data to know.

Reaction score
I don't believe I said "Morgan" or "Midwest" anywhere in this thread.

But since you did try and add some statistics to the mix, might you have some quantifiable data to back that up? Say, a spreadsheet or questionnaire that people fill out when they buy a transmission from you?

Do you have any data that might suggest mods done to the truck, overall tire size (unsprung weight would be great too), frequency of towing, size of load towed, gear ratio, manner in which the truck is driven day to day, how many track passes?

Any idea how long each truck was tuned when it lost the trans? What was the scenario in which the trans let go? Which hard part gave up the ghost?

That would all be good data to know.

Anyone who read your post knows 100% what and who you were talking about. You can't keep making jabs, then playing innocent and blaming the big bad wolf.... But however you feel you can justify it in your head, so be it.

I do not give a questionnaire nor spread sheet. These are all customers I talk to when ordering a transmission. I don't keep track of who, what and mileage because it honestly doesn't get my rocks off to be able to get on a forum and bash anyone saying so and so did this or that.

The majority of 6.7's are tuned with h&s so by default you will have more failure that happen to have h&s tuners.

The majority of broken transmissions have been stock turbo trucks. Mainly 2015's and some 11-14's with stock or upgraded turbos.

Every one (100%) has came in with the OD clutch burnt. They are the weakest clutches in the transmission and are used in 4, 5 & 6 gears. It doesn't matter who tunes it or how long. If you own a 6r and have a higher than stock power level at some point the OD clutch will fail. It's is barely adequate for a stock truck with de-fueling shift strategy. The next two clutches that fail are the direct and intermediate. They are less common but out of those two the more prevalent is the direct which works in 3, 5 & R. So when your 2-3 and 4-5 flare or it is sluggish into reverse you most likely have direct clutch problems.

Also 3.31 trucks with larger tires seem to have more troubles even at a lower power level. Have had them in with stock turbos and failed transmissions. To my knowledge the only failed trucks that we have sold transmissions to with 11-14 stock turbos have had 3.31 gears.

Tuning is a big part. That's why adding race defuel and other defuel shift strategies back in are going to be a much more popular option with tuners and higher hp trucks for stock transmission applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
Will custom tuning for someone like myself help the tranny live as far as the tuner knowing tire size and gear ratio when the tunes are written? I know when Morgan sent my base files to Gearhead, I included all that info. I will in the future be upgrading the 3.31 gear to 3.73 but not for a while. Only time I miss correct tire to gear ratio is when I'm towing the car trailer which isn't near as often or as much weight as the boat.

Keith

jwanck11

Reaction score
I understand you do not want to run KEM, that is fine. But no need to bad mouth something/someone you have no personal experience with.

I summarized public information.

If KEM has a subsequent revision that has addressed the issues that people are reporting out on - and if the new revision is top of stack, I'd absolutely run them.

Cheap6.7

Reaction score
quick question for you guys jumping from one companies tunes to the other, do you load first file every time you switch companies? I have been going from PIP to IDP and it just takes forever IMO. thanks

Maniacal_Mark

Reaction score
While I feel everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm curious as to how one can bash a tune they've never run? I've always gone with "don't knock it til you rock it" so I may not see things quite like others do.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
quick question for you guys jumping from one companies tunes to the other, do you load first file every time you switch companies? I have been going from PIP to IDP and it just takes forever IMO. thanks

nope . no need to !

O4ep3civ

Reaction score
I was told from pip going from theirs to KEM you should always use the correct company's load first. Due to the different ways each company (at least those two) program the truck. Different type of code or something. I forget the term Mike used.

Sent from the front seat of my rocket ship

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score

I do just because I treat it like first tune. I returned to stock and went through it all again.

oxcobra

Reaction score
I tried updating mine yesterday being I got the code after I put the intake on bur for some reason it gets like 3/4 through the update and says unable to communicate and stops

Latest posts

Members online