Help me decide - GT3794 or another system?

ELITE 3794 - DP 3794 w/ 68mm - S366?

• S366 (unreal)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CMCx2012

Reaction score
GT3794va BMW stage 2 w/68mm upgrade *OR* ???
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not trying to start another "VGT vs. Non-VGT" thread because there is already great information on this topic. The point of creating this thread is to (hopefully) expedite my decision as to which turbo setup to go with. I plan to make my decision within the next two weeks and I've targeted the thread to elicit input/responses that will be sure to lead me in the right direction.

For starters, I have a 2011 PSD so I dont think I will have the same problems with tuning that the 2013+ have/had. The turbo setup that I planned to go with is either the 68mm Elite kit or Danville Performance GT3794va BMW with 68mm upgrade. Special thanks to Gary and Morgan for discussing the power advantage of going from the first 3794 setup to the newest 68mm upgrade!

My goal since buying a 6.7 PSD almost two years ago was to put a PowerMax turbocharger on it. From all that I have learned on this forum and through friends that have done the conversion, I have heard good things about the GT3794. I didnt have any intentions to go non-VGT because of the "drive friendly" manners of a VGT as well as the whistle factor; however, I am hearing from so many other guys who have gone GT3794/4094 that they had a great time with the VGT, but it was a whole new level switching to a "real" turbo system such as the 6870 Precision! I dont race or tow, and I would love to have plenty of good spool, a killer whistle, and street-ability. If I needed to I would do a fuel upgrade to take complete advantage of the new system's full potential.

Who has ditched their 3794 to go with a totally different setup and why?? As I stated previously, I have followed the builds by Dan, Morgan, Gary, and others- but my question is who would do it all over again and go non-VGT if they had to? I ask because nobody wants to spend 5,6,7k TWICE?! If you guys dont mind throwing in the .02, that would be a great help as I plan to pull the trigger and order a turbo setup by the end of the month!

Help me decide what to go with for this build, guys! Cheers :)

--Thanks again to Elite, Morgan, Gary, DanSeitler, Matt, and all of the others that are there to help me with my build!!!

Last edited:

CMCx2012

Reaction score
Just spoke with Nathannial over @ EDE and he should be starting the VGT mount kit in a week or so!! I believe he will be starting the Twin Intercooler tube system first :thumbsup:

Last edited:

50_shooter

Reaction score
Who is running the 6870? I considered it, but I didn't wanna take the chance on stock rods. I have the 6466 elite kit, and dual fuel. I am having some code problems yet, but when it runs right, I don't need any more power for daily driving. I can punch it at 50 mph and leave black marks for a long ways. Not a burnout, just where the tires are hooking and turning the pavement a bit. $1600 worth of toyo mt's aren't gonna last very long if I keep giving it hell every time I take off. It's addictive though! Knowing what I know now, I don't think I would do anything differently. My only complaint is the gearing. 3.55's seem to be under the turbo in 6th gear unless you are running 90. 2psi at 65 means smoke and a downshift to go anywhere. At 90, its running 8-10 psi and will light right up and firmly plant you in your seat. 3.73's would have to be much better.

Another thing, are you going to install this yourself? I thought I was going to put mine on, but after realizing how much there was to it , and no directions included, I opted to have it put on by Morgan at Midwest.

I had him do my tranny too (a must in my opinion). My stocker was hurt a little with just dpf on tunes. I don't think it would have lasted very long as fast as the power comes on when in the sweet spot. So far morgans tranny has been flawless.

Just some stuff to think about. If you go big, figure on dropping 15k, not counting rods. Not counting labor if you have it installed either.

CMCx2012

Reaction score
SPATEL, thank you!

50 shooter: Awesome information! I wasn't planning on modding my trans, but now I will certainly think about it. I was just going for the Elite High Power kit and that's it.

jcain

Reaction score
While I didn't have a fancy 3794 VGT kit, I did have a 2015 61mm kit and switching to a non VGT is a fantastic upgrade. Drivability is still dandy and smoke is only prresent if you flat foot it and then clears up. And guess what, the VGT smoked in the same scenario.

jcain

Reaction score
Me either. My wife takes the truck quite a bit and I don't need her catching a ticket nor do I want to hear her whine about the smoke.

CMCx2012

Reaction score
Good call, Gary! A quick search and I see that Dan has answered many questions for you guys, specifically for the guys that are in the same boat as I am currently in.

Morgan certainly has me sold on that Elite 3794 with the 68mm Precision wheel that he installed for Gary;) All I need to hear is that whistle and I will make my mind up!

Last edited:

CMCx2012

Reaction score
I chose the turbocharger system already and as I said in the other post, I appreciate the feedback that members contributed here but I made an error in this poll.

Last edited: