Exhaust and mod questions.

tolson93

Reaction score
Well the girlfriend and I are both new to the diesel world. I have some general knowledge but never drove one much besides work a little. She recently purchased a 2011 f250 with the 6.7 powerstroke. 113k miles all stock. Eventually we will be looking to do mods to it.

First, can anyone explain a good exhaust set up? Wise to go with mufflers or just just straight pipe it from the turbo back? Any gains or loss on the size of the exhaust you use?

Also, hoping someone could explain the egr and dpf delete. Seems like those are very common mods done. Not sure the benefits or if it's worth it?

Is a cold air intake worth it ? I have heard they are supposed to give a gain but not sure.

Lastly, if skmeone has any other mods that they'd recommend that really improve the 6.7 that'd be great.

Sorry for the "dumb" questions but I've only ever owned gassers so this is all new to me. Thanks in advance for any help.

jcain

Reaction score
Just PM bigrpowr and get it all done in one spot one time.

You'll need a tuner for any and all deletes. A straight pipe deletes the dpf so you'll need a tuner for that too.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Just PM bigrpowr and get it all done in one spot one time.

You'll need a tuner for any and all deletes. A straight pipe deletes the dpf so you'll need a tuner for that too.

what he said, hit me up and i'll get you squared away quick like.

tolson93

Reaction score
Thank you I will keep that in mind. I was just wondering too if anyone could explain what these mods do

jcain

Reaction score
Straight pipe eliminates the dpf so no more DEF refills and a huge gain in tq, but you'll need a tuner.

Egr delete elimates the giant cooler on the passenger side valve cover and eliminates another heat source and a potential leak, and needs a tuner

Ccv delete elimates nasty oil vapors being reingested into the intake tract.

Cai is minimal on an untuned truck and can throw a code as well. On a tuned truck, the gains can be substantial.

Josh923

Reaction score
The previous posts pretty much have you set up.
However, one thing they didn't address was:
Turbo back straight pipe vs mufflers.
Airflow is huge for diesels.
The more you can do to increase airflow the better. If your state doesn't require a muffler, go with the straight pipe.
Here in GA diesels don't require emissions in any county.. Check your local laws.
Same goes for egr/dpf. If your state doesn't require emissions then you can get rid of them without having to worry about any problems with the law.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
The previous posts pretty much have you set up.
However, one thing they didn't address was:
Turbo back straight pipe vs mufflers.
Airflow is huge for diesels.
The more you can do to increase airflow the better. If your state doesn't require a muffler, go with the straight pipe.
Here in GA diesels don't require emissions in any county.. Check your local laws.
Same goes for egr/dpf. If your state doesn't require emissions then you can get rid of them without having to worry about any problems with the law.

the power difference is almost nothing between muffler or not. this is forced induction. 4" with a muffler is plenty of flow.

Josh923

Reaction score
I was harping more on EGT's in regards to the straight pipe.

Regardless, a straight pipe exhaust is cheaper AND allows exhaust to flow better, even if it is negligible to power gains. Why wouldn't he do it?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I was harping more on EGT's in regards to the straight pipe.

Regardless, a straight pipe exhaust is cheaper AND allows exhaust to flow better, even if it is negligible to power gains. Why wouldn't he do it?

Won't affect egt's either. But that being said I sell straight pipe 5-1 over muffler'd systems . All my trucks are straight cuz I like it loud.

Josh923

Reaction score
Yeah.. I just realized I was confused cat restrictions with muffler restrictions.

I'm right there with you. I love the sound when straight piped

Azraie218

Reaction score
no i don't, i would have liked to but they don't offer tuning for the 13 and up, i have defiantly heard mixed reviews as of late now that you mention it, not sure what happened there, i know i really liked it on my 6.4 though! and your absolutely correct, there is tons of guys making some pretty sick tunes for the trucks now

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Spartan would be about my last recommendation on a 6.4 or a 6.7.

If for no other reason than they're just flat difficult to work with compared to other offerings, and your hands are completely tied on tuning.

Get with Mike, he won't steer you wrong

Latest posts

Members online