Go West, Young Man- Connor M's 6.4

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
looks good. What did you end up doing for tuning?

PPEI but you can't get tunes from them anymore. I'm not even sure they're offering support for their old emissions off tunes. Great timing on my part.

I love the ez lynk though. If you're looking for tuning for a 6.4 go with someone who offers ez lynk tunes.

Connor M

Reaction score
So, since my last update, I stripped a short block that lost a lifter and cam lobe and everything looked good. It’s at my machine shop, waiting, theres a backlog but this is THE guy. He does all of our machine work at work, built the 351 Windsor in my dads bronco, and was exclusively referred to me.

Going to do what I can to make sure by the time I’m done I didn’t spend a pile of cash and hundreds of hours to have something drive exactly like it did before.

The number I’ve seen for oem bore size on a couple websites is 3.87, is that dead right or just an approximation? I’m trying to find out what pistons I’m gonna need to order.

Read a bit in the other guy’s thread about piston and valve protrusion so before I order pistons should I have that checked? Assuming I can use stock pistons I have sitting around to check that.

Zeb

Reaction score
So, since my last update, I stripped a short block that lost a lifter and cam lobe and everything looked good. It’s at my machine shop, waiting, theres a backlog but this is THE guy. He does all of our machine work at work, built the 351 Windsor in my dads bronco, and was exclusively referred to me.

Going to do what I can to make sure by the time I’m done I didn’t spend a pile of cash and hundreds of hours to have something drive exactly like it did before.

The number I’ve seen for oem bore size on a couple websites is 3.87, is that dead right or just an approximation? I’m trying to find out what pistons I’m gonna need to order.

Read a bit in the other guy’s thread about piston and valve protrusion so before I order pistons should I have that checked? Assuming I can use stock pistons I have sitting around to check that.

3.87 is the standard bore. When you get the Mahle pistons it will have what the bore size for the pistons on the box. Mahle recommends going 0.001”-0.0015” looser for a performance application. I like to see 0.0045”-0.005” piston to wall clearance.

As far as protrusion, no, you can’t use the stock pistons. You have to measure it with the pistons you plan to use because block deck height and piston crown to wrist pin measurements all factor into piston protrusion.

If you have block deck height and piston crown to top of wrist pin hole measurements I can get you really close on how much will need to come off the top of the pistons.

Connor M

Reaction score
3.87 is the standard bore. When you get the Mahle pistons it will have what the bore size for the pistons on the box. Mahle recommends going 0.001”-0.0015” looser for a performance application. I like to see 0.0045”-0.005” piston to wall clearance.

As far as protrusion, no, you can’t use the stock pistons. You have to measure it with the pistons you plan to use because block deck height and piston crown to wrist pin measurements all factor into piston protrusion.

If you have block deck height and piston crown to top of wrist pin hole measurements I can get you really close on how much will need to come off the top of the pistons.

My machinist should be able to tell me what deck height will be though, correct? I would like to order my pistons already cut and coated.

Zeb

Reaction score
My machinist should be able to tell me what deck height will be though, correct? I would like to order my pistons already cut and coated.

Yes, he should be able to give you the deck height.

I don’t see the point of coating, so I’ve always ordered Maxxforce 7’s and cut them to whatever I needed myself.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Boy this thread brings back 6.4 lyfe memories. Both good and bad for me LOL

Connor M

Reaction score
Machine shop called back, 3.866. Perfect. Once he decks the block we’ll be on the home stretch

Connor M

Reaction score
One of these days the bedplate is getting put on and the block will actually be honed. Thats when he said he’ll have real info for me on wether it’s egg shaped or not.

After I get the bed for my 450 I’ll pull that out and pull my 250 in and get the engine torn down.

Injectors from warren should be here monday for my 6.0 in other news. Maybe I can get one of like a million projects done lol.

Last edited:

Connor M

Reaction score
Machinist finally got around to getting exact measurements on the pistons, going to go .010 over.
Don't pay attention to how long it's taken, it's been on the back burner as of late.

Anyways, I'm thinking that means I need the .25mm maxxforce 7 piston.

Where the heck should I order them? Any vendors here sell them?

Tmtbob

Reaction score
Just ordered a bunch of stuff from killdevil diesel. They have maxxforce pistons and can get them coated if you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connor M

Reaction score
Been a minute, I’ve been busy though. Still have the hd, but working on my work truck mostly right now. Pulled the minimaxx out of the silver truck I bought off here in ‘19, but it’s a street model and the high sulfur code generated online isn’t working, so I can’t do some of the work I want to. Also trying to work out an AC issue, but enjoying it.

Engine from the silver truck will go into the Harley while I work on the built engine. I have a stack of parts for it accumulating and some cash to run by the machine shop. Hoping things slow down around here so I can work on my trucks more and spend some more time around psa.

1cf3b96903f0f0f1eec184637898c5ef.jpg

f56cc7454c2a48791a91594f5f7c3312.jpg

58268892d9681c6ee45b3a84f8b50730.jpg

Sixfoh

Reaction score
Didnt know you were in Mass. Good to see some locals with 6.4Ls still around. If you ever need tools or access to an IDS feel free to reach out. Where did you go for machining? I went to RCS i believe it was called out of ludlow. Was very pleased with their service. Wheres your stuff at?

Latest posts

Members online