Move steering wheel or brake and it stalls..

Atsah

Reaction score
Hey guys I picked an 06 6.0 F-350 dually and I have a weird issue.

If I start it and turn the wheel or touch the brake it stalls, it also stalls while sitting at idle after ten minutes. There is no remote start. I have checked FICM, ICP. I replaced the alternator and EGR valve for other issues.

The only common thing I see with the PS and brake is the hydroboost. Is there anything I should be looking at? I don't see any chaffing on the harness at all.

Thanks in advance,,

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Fluid level OK in the power steering reservoir? Unrelated but I found out that my commuter car (99 Accord) will not start when the power steering reservoir is empty.

Atsah

Reaction score
Ya level is good.. I'm going to get an adapter so that I can check fuel pressure. If I keep the idle up a bit it won't shutoff pushing the brake or turning the wheel.. I have checked damn near everything and no go..

Last edited:

Petro

Reaction score
Ya level is good.. I'm going to get an adapter so that I can check fuel pressure. If I keep the idle up a bit it won't shutoff pushing the brake or turning the wheel.. I have checked damn near everything and no go..

Shuts off just like you turned the key or slowly dies?

Petro

Reaction score
Just like you turned the key off..

Thats very strange. I would examine the wiring under the steering column and under the dash to see if there arnt some bare wires shorting out, not sure how the brakes pedal would tie into that or why it would stay running with an elevated idle but thats just an idea.

Atsah

Reaction score
Thats very strange. I would examine the wiring under the steering column and under the dash to see if there arnt some bare wires shorting out, not sure how the brakes pedal would tie into that or why it would stay running with an elevated idle but thats just an idea.

That's the first thing I did.. Sure sounds electrical to me. I'm going to check fuel pressure today and check the IPR screen..

The alternator wasn't working, I replaced it, the FICM readings 48.5V look good but I wonder if the low voltage wrecked it..

Atsah

Reaction score
Just in case anyone has the same stalling while turning the wheel or braking at idle.. I have a vacuum leak in my hydro boost system..

Atsah

Reaction score
how was that killing the engine?

Don't know enough about it, the dealer replaced the noisy pump and no more stalling. He said they removed the belt from the PS pulley, started it and hit the brakes, turned the wheel several times and it stayed running.. You're guess is as good as mine..

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Don't know enough about it, the dealer replaced the noisy pump and no more stalling. He said they removed the belt from the PS pulley, started it and hit the brakes, turned the wheel several times and it stayed running.. You're guess is as good as mine..

I’ve never heard of that but interesting find

Good to see you in here Dustin!

Total thread derail, but what’s the word on the 79 6.0 swap truck? I’ve often wondered what became of it.

Still not finished. It moves around and stuff but it’s not done. I’m currently building a pole barn. I’m hoping when that’s done I can focus some time back to that.

Atsah

Reaction score
how was that killing the engine?

From what they tell me, there are two pressure switches, one for steering and one for braking mounted under the Master cylinder, if the hydro boost system isn't producing enough pressure, (weak pump, pulley/belt issue or check valve in the boost is stuck) the truck will stall when you brake or steer at idle because the switches aren't demanding an idle up..

When I raised the idle with my foot it would never stall, only at idle..

I'm surprised I never read about how the system works on a forum somewhere, just never ran across it...

Atsah

Reaction score
Well this tech doesn't have a clue.. Same problem..

I think I have it figured out. First of all there are no pressure switches, no idea how he came up with that one..

When I remove the belt, it stays running pressing the brake or turning the wheel, it's taking enough of a load off of the engine for it not to stall it.

I replaced the cam shaft sensor, there was rust behind it and it was pushing it out. hasn't happened in three days since, I think I got it.. What a pain in the neck replacing that sensor...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.