Dropping below E with plenty of fuel

rspeights1

Reaction score
So I've got a 2010 F250 6.4L with a H&S runner, *** ******. Truck has 160,000 miles and runs like a champ. Within the past 6 monts the fuel gauge will randomly drop to below E and the truck starts to sputter like it's actually out of fuel. My first thought was the fuel sending unit but I'm not sure. It just happens again and it read 170 miles to E then all of sudden (while waiting in line to get my kid from school) it said 5 miles to E and started to sputter. Luckily a fuel station was across the street. I pulled in shut the truck off opened the fuel cap and turn the ignition back to on position and it read correctly and stopped sputtering without any fuel added. Any thoughts of what's causing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
is it a sputter? Or more like low fuel mode. It will cut power intermittently and create like a surge feeling before it runs out of fuel. I would say your sending unit is bad.

VanoFord

Reaction score
My truck did the same thing before it went into the shop and it was the sending unit. My gauge would say 30Mi to E but the truck would not start like it was bone dry. Happened 3x before I changed it out.

rspeights1

Reaction score
is it a sputter? Or more like low fuel mode. It will cut power intermittently and create like a surge feeling before it runs out of fuel. I would say your sending unit is bad.

It's running perfectly fine then out of no where the gauge starts dropping no mater how much full is actually in the tank. It's all good until it says 10 miles before empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online