New turbo advise needed.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
So my turbo is getting leaky and im looking at options. Nothing crazy at all. What would be better on stock injectors.
A powermax or new OE with 3.5” down pipe and new up pipe?
Both options end up about the same price from what im seeing.

Would the OE blower and pipes perform anywhere near Powermax level?
Is it a more sensible option to go with the OE and new pipes because of the OE up pipe failure rate (is the failure rate really high)?

Truck is an 06, with the common necessities and idp tunes.

Thanks fellas.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Get with kc turbos. His turbos outflow the powermax and he actually has customer service. His stage 2r spools like stock and pulls for a very long time. It will work good with stock injectors, and if you decide to bump the fuel later, will pair very nicely with anything up to 190ccs.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
I know KC is the way to go for us hands down, but, for the same cost of an entry level KC a p max, down pipe and up pipe could be bought.

Not trying to cheap out and id love a KC but im also trying to stay around a $1200 range. I probly should have mentioned that in the OP.

I guess my biggest concern is the stock up pipe, its fine right now but if it is a weak point id hate to drop a nice blower on top of ****ty pipes.

Thx man!!

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Honestly, you can probably wait on the downpipe and exhaust. Not much to be gained from that. The up pipes, typical only issue is the scoop in the egr portion. That section ain't too expensive, and with the,turbo off would be easy to replace. As long as the pipes ain't cracked, they probably arent hurting too much.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Also, to save some money, the kc stage 2 is only about 1500 if I remember right. It spools like a stock early build, the money savings comes from it not being a dual ball bearing like the 2r, it is a standard journal bearing turbo. Still a really good runner though.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
The up pipe is solid as far as i can tell, boosts between 25-30 on the OE turbo and there is no soot anywhere or exaust odor in the cab. I still have that 6.0 stigma of “whats gonna break next” even tho the last 40k miles have shown no problems.

FU dude,
Now im considering dropping the money on just a blower, all of the money and some more. Lol.
Egr been gone since 110k miles, 145k now and all is good. That doesnt mean the pipe isnt compromised tho. :(
I didnt think the down pipe would do much besides a little egt drop and idk what my egt’s are anyways so, see no evil wait till something melts i guess. Only added fuel is from a tune anyways.

snik

Reaction score
I just rebuild mine and change the up pipe and y pipe.
Y pipe flex joint snapped while reinstalling everything after an oil cooler and turbo.
My turbo was leaking crazy oil down the hot side too. Had a good bit of back and forth play, yet no scratches on the housing. Weird.
Anyway, no studded, and no planning or wanting to upgrade injectors and run big power. So I kept it stock.
Feels a tons better with the uppipe without the EGR scoop tho. I didn't expect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
I went with a pmax.
The truck has been sitting and needed a bunch of misc ****, hubs, balls, full brakes just to name the basic shyt. I didnt have the funds to drop on a real nice blower.
Maybe later i can make up for it with fuel when funds permit.

Thx again guys.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
KC offers a DIY rebuild and upgrade kit as well.

Im looking at them. There is significant axial and radial play on the compressor side of the stock unit. Its not out yet but should be some time today if the mech gets to it so i can see if the hot side has play also. Im assumeing it does or if one side has play than the other has to??

Anyway, if the OE is able to be rebuilt im going to play around with it, most likely with KC cold side.

Thanks man!

sootie

Reaction score
Im looking at them. There is significant axial and radial play on the compressor side of the stock unit. Its not out yet but should be some time today if the mech gets to it so i can see if the hot side has play also. Im assumeing it does or if one side has play than the other has to??

Anyway, if the OE is able to be rebuilt im going to play around with it, most likely with KC cold side.

Thanks man!

its one shaft and one bearing. Play is play.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
its one shaft and one bearing. Play is play.

Thats what i figured but ive never been inside a turbo. So now i just hope the housing isnt all dicked up right? Otherwise its a 40 pound paper weight?

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Well the Pmax is finally in as well as the Abosolut delta line (that i ordered about 4 tears ago lol)and a shyt load of random ****.

Im impressed with the blower, big difference over stock. Also the delta kit dropped the oil temp an average of 5 degrees which i am very happy with. Now it only has about a 5 degree spread (highest i saw was 8 on a hill that used to produce 13-14 degree difference)

Latest posts

Members online