Fuel leak

buff678

Reaction score
I have early 99 7.3 SD. Been having trouble with fuel pressure regulator valve on return line. Stuck closed. Pressurized filter can and blew gasket. Fuel sprayed everywhere. Recently replaced regulator with new one from Ford dealer. Worked for a while. Stuck again after a few weeks of working fine. The first time it happened, I thought it was dirty fuel causing the problem. So I dropped the tank, cleaned it and those prefilled in tank, purged lines, new filter, but it happens again. Not sure what to from here. Suggestions? I'm told some replace factory filter can assembly with a different setup.

79jasper

Reaction score
Does it otherwise run fine?
I would check the pressure again. Regulator could be stuck.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

buff678

Reaction score
Runs good until gasket blows. Fuel pressure obviously drop and then it doesn't run good. Could my fuel pump maybe be the issue. Intermittently pumping to high of pressure?

buff678

Reaction score
Well, I think the fuel filter cap was the issue. It was a new one that came with filter. Comparing 2 side by side, the one that would allow the gasket to blow, was not as thick on top part and threads in plastic looked off as well. Replaced cap and appears to be holding. No leaks, but now it has a rough idle, no power and rough shut down. It was ran out of fuel from the last gasket episode. Could something else be wrong or damaged from running it like that?

Blowinsoot00

Reaction score
Well, I think the fuel filter cap was the issue. It was a new one that came with filter. Comparing 2 side by side, the one that would allow the gasket to blow, was not as thick on top part and threads in plastic looked off as well. Replaced cap and appears to be holding. No leaks, but now it has a rough idle, no power and rough shut down. It was ran out of fuel from the last gasket episode. Could something else be wrong or damaged from running it like that?
I bought a filter and cap assembly from AutoZone, I too had an issue of it blowing out the gasket, 5 times to be exact. finally I realized the cap was almost too small and would move side to side while it was tight, put my old cap back on and it hasn't done it since, just garbage parts store filters...

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

buff678

Reaction score
Ok, it's been few days since figuring out that the filter cap was the issue. But the issue that started all this, cleaning tank and pre-filter and purging fuel lines and replacing filter, is that there is a slow drip leak coming from the drain line. Had this same issue less than a year ago. I replace the water separator valve thinking seals were bad. Did not fix leak. Replaced pressure relief valve with a stock replacement from Ford dealer, on the return line and that seam to fix it. Now less than a year later it's doing it again. Could the fuel pump be producing too much pressure progressively? I'm at a loss. It's like the return line with new relief valve, can't keep up. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Arisley

Reaction score
Buy this kit: http://www.dieselorings.com/fuel-bowl-reseal-kit-1999-2003.html

Follow these directions: http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/fbowl.php

Magnum could be right, these bowls are not made from billet steel or aluminum that will last forever. So make sure when you get the kit and tear it down, you inspect it carefully. Even it is bad, you can probably score a pretty good one from a member on here for a pretty good price. In which case, use your kit that you have already purchased to rebuild it before installing it.

Or you can make the decision to make the truck the way it should have been designed from the factory. With a prepump filter/water separator, then the pump/pumps, a post pump filter. A single line going up to the top of the motor, at that point splitting in two, one line going into the back of each head. One line coming out of the front of each head, joining back together and going through an independent, stand alone fuel pressure regulator. From there going back to the tank.

While expensive to buy, they are very well worth it. If you are patient, and good with fabricating, you can make your own for a lot less money. I had less than 150 bucks in mine. All hand bent brake line tubing (it is stainless steel, but not pretty shiny stainless steel), fittings from Home Depot and some that I had laying around, and a flaring tool.

buff678

Reaction score
Still have slow drip leak from water drain valve on back of filter housing. Drips from drain pipe. Replaced valve already. It's like there is too much pressure. Replaced pressure relief valve, too. Any thoughts?

buff678

Reaction score
Sorry Magnum. I don't think I am describing my situation clearly. New o-rings have been installed on all new parts I installed mentioned before. Easiest way I can try to describe problem is when you open that drain valve to replace the filter and the fuel bowl drain down a tube down the side of the engine into a drain pan placed under truck. That tube drips one drop of fuel about every 2 minutes when my truck is running, like there is too much pressure in fuel bowl and pressure relief valve can't keep up.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
You could try and get a fuel pressure gauge, plumb into the fuel system if you want to see the pressure.

Latest posts

Members online