6.0 Low Boost

Reaction score
Got a 6.0 with 175/75s 68mm vgt studded and ******d. Can't seem to get more then 20lbs out of it. No boost leaks and one tiny exhaust leak at the head on cylinder 1 just barely starting. Snugged manifold bolts up tonight. Tried new MAP&EBP both are showing correct voltage and pressures for conditions got about 30 psi ebp @ 20lbs boost. Tried gear head, php, ********** and none of them make over 20 lbs and I've got smoke for days!!

1fastTRX

Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat except I only see 20 lbs of boost on the tow tune. Unplugged the ebp sensor and it hits 30 lbs. I ordered a new ebp sensor and am waiting for it to arrive and retest

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1fastTRX

Reaction score
Possible sticking turbo vanes? Unison ring may be pitted not allowing the vanes to fully open?

Reaction score
I watch them cycle every day, drops down to about 30% at full throttle. Goes to 0 at idle. Even then if they we're opening up not enough it would see more boost theoretically not less.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat except I only see 20 lbs of boost on the tow tune. Unplugged the ebp sensor and it hits 30 lbs. I ordered a new ebp sensor and am waiting for it to arrive and retest

How did yours turn out with the new sensor.

1fastTRX

Reaction score
Finally drove it today. Had to replace my power steering pump and hose too. I hit 28 lbs of boost this time around, but I was on a tune I'd never used before (GH 8k tow tune). I'll hook up the tow tune that I know gives me crap (GH Unlimited tow) and try it tomorrow or Tuesday.

1fastTRX

Reaction score
Max of 23-24 lbs on GH Unlimited Tow at WOT without a trailer.

1fastTRX

Reaction score
Pulled the turbo. Unison ring was completely seized to center plate. Got it all cleaned up. Waiting on replacement unison ring since the vgt pin groove was worn.

Hopefully this helps my issue. I'll post back.

1fastTRX

Reaction score
No change in boost. 23-24 lbs max on GH Unlimited Tow.

1fastTRX

Reaction score
Not sure if you're asking me or OP, but I'll answer anyways. Lol.

MAP hose is fine. I replaced it anyways. Both hot side turbo boots are also new.

I made a boost leak detector and haven't had the best of luck. Air just flows constantly through the system. I did find the hot side CAC boot was leaking, but cold side CAC I haven't gotten close to check. Elbow boot is fine.

Bam! Threadjacked! Lol

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Not sure if you're asking me or OP, but I'll answer anyways. Lol.

MAP hose is fine. I replaced it anyways. Both hot side turbo boots are also new.

I made a boost leak detector and haven't had the best of luck. Air just flows constantly through the system. I did find the hot side CAC boot was leaking, but cold side CAC I haven't gotten close to check. Elbow boot is fine.

Bam! Threadjacked! Lol

On your boost leak detector you can remove the intake elbow and make a small block off plate. It will be a bit a little work but use some thin plate, get paper or rubber gasket material and make a metal block of plate. Drill the holes & sandwich in between the elbow and intake manifold. Start your boost from the turbo side and that may work.

Also, in had my CAC out and the cold side out the factory plastic is slightly deformed. I also replaced my cold side plastic pipe with a R. R. metal pipe then I torqued all the boots to spec. Since Ive done that I've had zero blown boots and I saw 32psi yesterday in the SRL tune.

good luck

Reaction score
I've pressure tested to 45lbs with no leak and also the hose going to map sensor looks and feels in good condition nor did it leak when pressure testing system.

I feel like my issue is my turbo somehow. Not quite sure brand or anything but i rode in another truck the other day that had 190/100s and a 68 and it ran completely different. Turbo came in way faster and was way smoother and was hitting 35lbs. Since I've gone to this turbo is when i started having issues stock charger was around 30lbs.

1fastTRX

Reaction score
On your boost leak detector you can remove the intake elbow and make a small block off plate. It will be a bit a little work but use some thin plate, get paper or rubber gasket material and make a metal block of plate. Drill the holes & sandwich in between the elbow and intake manifold. Start your boost from the turbo side and that may work.

Also, in had my CAC out and the cold side out the factory plastic is slightly deformed. I also replaced my cold side plastic pipe with a R. R. metal pipe then I torqued all the boots to spec. Since Ive done that I've had zero blown boots and I saw 32psi yesterday in the SRL tune.

good luck
Freaking genius! I didn't think about that. I'll try that In the next week or so.

I already have the metal cold side pipe and a CSF intercooler so I should be good there, but the block off plate will help rule it out.
I've pressure tested to 45lbs with no leak and also the hose going to map sensor looks and feels in good condition nor did it leak when pressure testing system.

I feel like my issue is my turbo somehow. Not quite sure brand or anything but i rode in another truck the other day that had 190/100s and a 68 and it ran completely different. Turbo came in way faster and was way smoother and was hitting 35lbs. Since I've gone to this turbo is when i started having issues stock charger was around 30lbs.
Have you tried unplugging the EBP and running it? Also, VGT % is commanded. Not actual.

It would be worth it to check actual vane movement. If you pull the turbo on the backside of the turbo where the vgt actuator is there is a snap ring. Pull the snap ring out and pull the plug out then put a magnet in there and check the VGT actuation.

Reaction score
I pulled the turbo of awhile ago and checked that. Everything is lined up and has full range of motion with no hangups. The vgt does sound like it is responding correctly as well.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Freaking genius! I didn't think about that. I'll try that In the next week or so.

I already have the metal cold side pipe and a CSF intercooler so I should be good there, but the block off plate will help rule it out.

Thanks all here to share ideas and learn! :toast:

Latest posts

Members online