Hard start

The Oiler

Reaction score
Ok after my truck has sat for 4 years due to a blown turbo and no money. I have got it back running again. Now it starts rally hard if its cold and after it sits for an hour or so.

96' f-250, 5-speed 4x4 307,023 miles.

Mods: 250cc injectors, gen3 oil, complete fuel system, modded idm, s-366, swamps tuning, hypermax aftercooler.

So far I have changed the oil, and hooked up a hydraulic guage to the oil rail on the driver side and watched the pressure on startup. the first 3 seconds there is no pressure at all then it will spike to 3000-4000 and try to fire. Tomorrow Im going to plug into the passenger side to see what that side is doing. Also my glow plugs are not staying on long enough and is aiding in the hard start.

Its acting like the hpop res is empty and has to fill up and then make pressure. Toomarrow I am going to plum in a gauge to see what the lpop is doing. Now my truck is a 96' that was built in 95, could it have a anti-drain back valve?

The injecters mayber have 2000 miles on them but I could have cut an o-ring putting them in. Other things I replaced a while back were a CPS and IPR. Still have the original ICP and HPOP.

Cant think of any thing else, so Im ready for any ideas you all might have.

Thanks,
Nathan.

Tom S

Reaction score
Nice to see someone that whips out some diagnostic tools to see what is going on with the truck. Have you checked to see if there is oil in the reservoir after sitting for a while. There is not a location for you so I do not know how cold it is where you are. They way it builds HP oil does not match my experience but I am a 17 deg HPOP guy.

The Oiler

Reaction score
Ok checked the other side to day and the same thing with the pressure vaules. So the next step I took was to hook the guage up to to the pump itself and it did the same thing. So the only thing I havent checked throughly is the lpop side and see how long it takes to build pressure.

Also I have an Innova 3130 scan tool and every time I connect it to the pickup the truck will stall and the scanner will reset. Even with the key on and engine off it says that there is no data stored in the PCM. It wont pick up any DTC either. But if I plug in my SCT it will find codes.

Also,I took out the Ts with Swamps tuning and it like to rev on its own when its cold. I disconected the TPS to see if it might be acting up but made no difference.

Tom S

Reaction score
I am not surprised on the funky scan tool behavior. AE does that sometimes too on the hickups. How does the truck start if it has been plugged in and the motor is nice and warm? How does it start when it has been running and was shut off for a little bit.

The Oiler

Reaction score
When its plugged in it will start a little quicker. As for if has ran for a bit then shut down it will re- fire
with no problem. I just changed out GP silenoid to an old one i think that fixed a portion of the
problem. I just wounder if the hpop is just tired and takes a while to build pressure up tp par?