2001 7.3 4x4 needs more hp

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
OK guys I bought a 2001 7.3 4x4 a little over a month ago. I installed a intake and it has a exhaust with a muffler so it's quiet. I had a 02 7.3 2x4 that had stage 1 injectors intake and exhaust. That truck made 381/870 of the highest tune.
How can I make a little more power without all the hassle of injectors and making the truck so loud? I don't miss all the clatter of my old 7.3. This 01 7.3 is so smooth I love it but Damm it's slow I mean horrible slow.
I guess a chip would help but will it make the engine louder?
I know it's heavier being a 4x4 and the tires are not big either. I need to find a place that can check and make sure it's meeting all the parameters. When I get on the gas I hear the turbo spool but unlike my last truck this one doesn't really go quicker, it sounds like it should but doesn't.
Truck has 270,000 miles and was a one owner in decent shape.

DieselDC

Reaction score
Not louder. Put a chip on it. Good for solid 350 hp. Hydra tuner.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

LakeBum

Reaction score
Not louder. Put a chip on it. Good for solid 350 hp. Hydra tuner.

—————signature—————

On stock injectors? 300HP is more like it.

DieselDC

Reaction score
No, I said 350. Stock sticks.

—————signature—————

DieselDC

Reaction score
sure.

—————signature—————

TMCCOY

Reaction score
Make sure you don't have any boost killing leaks from the spyder boots or up-pipes. Do you know how much PSI is being generated?

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Make sure you don't have any boost killing leaks from the spyder boots or up-pipes. Do you know how much PSI is being generated?

No sir I have no clue. I'm no mechanic but will do my best. I have to change the power steering pump and flush the system. I checked behind the seat and the other owner had a bottle of power steering fluid. I'm also gonna do a fluid change on the radiator.
The degas bottle is so discolored I can't see the Damm fluid level.
I orders a new cap and degas bottle with a couple other things. Guess I'm used to my old truck but even on my heaviest tow tune which was 25 hp it would walk out of sight from this truck I have now.
I know it's a old truck not a race car but when I hook my trailer too it which is small I think I'm screwed for trying to do the speed limit.

ju015dd

Reaction score
No sir I have no clue. I'm no mechanic but will do my best. I have to change the power steering pump and flush the system. I checked behind the seat and the other owner had a bottle of power steering fluid. I'm also gonna do a fluid change on the radiator.
The degas bottle is so discolored I can't see the Damm fluid level.
I orders a new cap and degas bottle with a couple other things. Guess I'm used to my old truck but even on my heaviest tow tune which was 25 hp it would walk out of sight from this truck I have now.
I know it's a old truck not a race car but when I hook my trailer too it which is small I think I'm screwed for trying to do the speed limit.

Trans fluid for the power steering pump. If there was a bottle of power steering fluid, then flush and refill.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Trans fluid for the power steering pump. If there was a bottle of power steering fluid, then flush and refill.

I already bought a new pump the wheels won't turn at a stop. I'm gonna flush the system first then install the new pump I just need to watch one more how to video on youtube and I should be good.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score

I flushed the system with atf and it made no difference. It still whines when driving straight but doesn't make any noise when trying to turn, I don't get it. A mechanic local to where I live said it may be in 4x4. Truck has dash lights but nothing says it's in 4x4.

brian42

Reaction score
How can I make a little more power without all the hassle of injectors and making the truck so loud?
The engine shouldn't be any louder than it is now. This isn't common rail technology so the HEUI is not going to be quiet.

Here are the stock power numbers: http://www.powerstrokehub.com/timeline.html

You have 250 HP / 505 lb-ft of torque if you have a 4R100 and you have 275 Hp / 525 lb-ft of torque if you have a ZF6.

Your stock injectors are 140cc and are good for another 50-60 Hp before they are tapped out no matter what "XX Hp" tune you run.

Jomax

Reaction score
The engine shouldn't be any louder than it is now. This isn't common rail technology so the HEUI is not going to be quiet.

Here are the stock power numbers: http://www.powerstrokehub.com/timeline.html

You have 250 HP / 505 lb-ft of torque if you have a 4R100 and you have 275 Hp / 525 lb-ft of torque if you have a ZF6.

Your stock injectors are 140cc and are good for another 50-60 Hp before they are tapped out no matter what "XX Hp" tune you run.

Going to single shot injectors will definitely make the truck louder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian42

Reaction score
Going to single shot injectors will definitely make the truck louder.
Definitely but the OP does not have single shots. They had a truck with Stage 1's:
I had a 02 7.3 2x4 that had stage 1 injectors intake and exhaust. That truck made 381/870 of the highest tune.

They want more power without extra noise or changing injectors:
How can I make a little more power without all the hassle of injectors and making the truck so loud?...
I guess a chip would help but will it make the engine louder?

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the info guys. Yes both of my trucks are autos, one was a 02 2x4 and the current truck I have is a 01 f250 7.3 4x4 . It just has a intake and exhaust with a huge muffle it's quiet. Most likely because my old 7.3 had stage 1 injectors 5" exhaust and I did a foil ******. I tell you it was so loud after 7 years of that noise this stock 7.3 sounds nice and quiet lol.

It's just slow as hell I mean wow its bad. My tuned truck would run off and hide on this one. I wonder if this truck being a 4x4 may have something to do with it? Anyway once I get everything fixed I will look for some power maybe a 40-50 hp tune and a ww2. I'm searching for decent front bearing, need to change them and rock auto seems to have many to choose from.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the info guys. Yes both of my trucks are autos, one was a 02 2x4 and the current truck I have is a 01 f250 7.3 4x4 . It just has a intake and exhaust with a huge muffle it's quiet. Most likely because my old 7.3 had stage 1 injectors 5" exhaust and I did a foil ******. I tell you it was so loud after 7 years of that noise this stock 7.3 sounds nice and quiet lol.

It's just slow as hell I mean wow its bad. My tuned truck would run off and hide on this one. I wonder if this truck being a 4x4 may have something to do with it? Anyway once I get everything fixed I will look for some power maybe a 40-50 hp tune and a ww2. I'm searching for decent front bearing, need to change them and rock auto seems to have many to choose from.
Stick with oem wheel bearings.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online