Obs fuel question

ncollins64

Reaction score
Ok so I got a 97 reg cab long bed 4wd f350 srw with a 5 speed. First how much fuel will both tanks hold? Next my gauge isn't working quite right. I put 16 gal in my front tank and the gauge only went to quarter tank. Do I need to drop my tanks to clean anything to make my gauge work properly Or what? And last the truck has sway bars front and rear. Where can I get the rubber bushings For the sway bar links? Thanks

Bugman

Reaction score
The factory book says that the front in 19 and the rear is 18. I have put as much as 21 into my front.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Ok that helps out. Now I wonder what I need to do to make my gauge work properly? Any ideas. This thing just needs a lil tlc. Gonna replace the tail lights, head lights and cab lights and I've gotta find a lot of dash plastic since it's missing some and try and find some wiper arms.

Diesel23

Reaction score
hey Nathan, man sound like me , with my 96 that is or was my work truck , ive got it tore apart now going to do the irate t-4 kit with a gt42 , I put 238/100's and doing e fuel here soon also , whats your plan for efuel set up ? also to answer your question inregards to suspension ,the bushings try energy suspension

ncollins64

Reaction score
Cool thanks frank. I'll check them and sunrise out for the bushings. Not sure on e fuel. I'm gonna screw with the fuel gauge problem and all the lil things this week.

Bugman

Reaction score
The sending unit may be bad for the tank since the gauge doesn't move that much. Before I dropped the tank I would just lift the bed. Only 6 bolts and you should be able to raise it enough to work on it. I think that some have been able to work on them without dropping the tank or raising the bed but from what I have seen on mine you need to do one or the other.

jschildm

Reaction score
I am actually currently having the same problem. My front tank sender isn't working properly, but the rear is. I suspect either a bad sender or the float has a hole in it and filled with fuel. You should be able to pull the sender out and move the arm by hand and see if the gauge works correctly. That will tell you if the wiring and sender is working correctly.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Is there any dashlights or anything saying the glow plugs are done and you can start the engine like the newer engines? I went to start it this morning and it cranked for a while before it started so I went to ford and got a new glow plug relay and if that doesn't fix it I'll be ordering some new glow plugs.

79jasper

Reaction score
Instead of throwing money at it, diagnose some things.
See if the glowplug relay is getting power. See if it's getting the ground signal to turn on.
To the right of the gauge cluster is a black square which contains the wait to start light. May need to pull it and clean the connections.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

ncollins64

Reaction score
The relay is getting power and getting the ground signal. Also checked the number 22 fuse? i think under the hood and it was good and clean also. Has anybody ever heard of the EBP sensor causing these kinds of problems? Heard if this sensor shorted out then it would cause the pcm not to function?

ncollins64

Reaction score
Also I'm not getting a wait to start light if the obs trucks even has that. I just don't have much time to mess with it so I may have to take it to a buddy's shop and let him mess with it.

Bugman

Reaction score
OBS trucks do have a wts light that is controlled by the PCM by sending a ground to the light to light it up.

If the truck isn't running check fuse #22 and #9 under the hood.

ncollins64

Reaction score
The truck is running but does not like cold mornings unless I plug it up. By cold it's in the teens and low 20s here. Then it starts easier being plugged up. I did check fuse 22 but I will go back and check fuse 9.

rusty1161

Reaction score
The truck is running but does not like cold mornings unless I plug it up. By cold it's in the teens and low 20s here. Then it starts easier being plugged up. I did check fuse 22 but I will go back and check fuse 9.

How many miles on the truck/engine? I imagine low compression can make cold starts tough.

Rusty