hpfp swap ?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i am going to need to swap my hpfp and was wondering if anyone has a write up or how to on doing the swap. rail tanks to 24k on a hard acceleration so i am going to upgrade my 12 to a 15 pump. i do have a new lpfp to throw in just to make sure that isnt the culprit but either way, im still going to do the hpfp since i will eventually be doing a 15 turbo as well.. so if anyone could help out, i would appreciate it!!

live life full throttle

sootie

Reaction score
whats wrong with 24k rail? Also, if you are going to do the turbo swap, do it at the same time. You will literally have to remove most of the same parts to do it.

text me when your diving in...its a simple job.

Open hood, remove fan shroud, remove fan (if you can get the clearance, just unbolt the blade from the hub so you dont have to mess with the big nut), remove air intake, remove upper plastic intake, undo cold side pipe, undo egr feed tube, undo ccv hose, remove lower aluminum intake (be sure to tape all open ports).

remove vacuum pump from front cover, remove large nut holding the hpfp gear on.

from the valley of the engine, remove the fuel lines from the top of the pump, remove the two bolts that hold the pump in (they point towards the front of the truck). Undo the electrical connector. Tap the shaft of the pump from the front of the engine with a hammer-the gear should pop off. Remove the now loose pump.

To reinstall, reverse the procedure. Only thing to be careful about is timing the new pump correctly. Also, the two pressure lines you undid from the pump need to be replaced as they are one time use. Return lines are fine to reuse.

I can send you some pics if that would help...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
whats wrong with 24k rail? Also, if you are going to do the turbo swap, do it at the same time. You will literally have to remove most of the same parts to do it.

text me when your diving in...its a simple job.

Open hood, remove fan shroud, remove fan (if you can get the clearance, just unbolt the blade from the hub so you dont have to mess with the big nut), remove air intake, remove upper plastic intake, undo cold side pipe, undo egr feed tube, undo ccv hose, remove lower aluminum intake (be sure to tape all open ports).

remove vacuum pump from front cover, remove large nut holding the hpfp gear on.

from the valley of the engine, remove the fuel lines from the top of the pump, remove the two bolts that hold the pump in (they point towards the front of the truck). Undo the electrical connector. Tap the shaft of the pump from the front of the engine with a hammer-the gear should pop off. Remove the now loose pump.

To reinstall, reverse the procedure. Only thing to be careful about is timing the new pump correctly. Also, the two pressure lines you undid from the pump need to be replaced as they are one time use. Return lines are fine to reuse.

I can send you some pics if that would help...
cuz if i hold it any longer it shuts the truck down.

dam i guess, but i dont know when ill do the 15 swap.

thank you. sounds a little time consuming. does all gaskets and o rings get reused?
also ran across this thread in the Library, but didnt read it...

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66934
thanks again! my search function on Tapatalk sucks donkey balls so i couldn't find anything.

live life full throttle

sootie

Reaction score
cuz if i hold it any longer it shuts the truck down.

dam i guess, but i dont know when ill do the 15 swap.

thank you. sounds a little time consuming. does all gaskets and o rings get reused?thanks again! my search function on Tapatalk sucks donkey balls so i couldn't find anything.

live life full throttle

egr pipe is a steel gasket so ok there and the upper and lower intakes use o-rings so good there as well. I cant remember about the front cover sorry.

not that time consuming, i started at 7am with the cab up and did the streetmax and stroker pump, dropped the cab and was on the test drive by 7pm. Thats not rushing-beer breaks etc

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
egr pipe is a steel gasket so ok there and the upper and lower intakes use o-rings so good there as well. I cant remember about the front cover sorry.

not that time consuming, i started at 7am with the cab up and did the streetmax and stroker pump, dropped the cab and was on the test drive by 7pm. Thats not rushing-beer breaks etc
thanks man! appreciate the info. re use the orings or replace?

live life full throttle

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
So I have a 2012 so I have a CP3? If I wanted to upgrade I need a CP4?

I have 228,000 miles and I have nightmares about the fuel pump letting go and losing the fuel system.

sootie

Reaction score
So I have a 2012 so I have a CP3? If I wanted to upgrade I need a CP4?

I have 228,000 miles and I have nightmares about the fuel pump letting go and losing the fuel system.

no. no powerstroke ever came with a cp3. you have a cp4. If you are upgrading, you want a cp4 from a 15+

Jomax

Reaction score

For how many miles he has on his truck, and I’m assuming the o rings are rubber. Any reason he shouldn’t just replace them? They can’t be to pricey, I wouldn’t do all of that work and re use some o-rings.

It’s probably just for peace of mind for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
For how many miles he has on his truck, and I’m assuming the o rings are rubber. Any reason he shouldn’t just replace them? They can’t be to pricey, I wouldn’t do all of that work and re use some o-rings.

It’s probably just for peace of mind for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Up to him. Mine had over twice the miles his does when I reused them and 20 k later no issues...