HPOP Rez draining

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I think the turbo blew a seal. Oil is in both up pipes and the turbo has oil all around it. Took turbo off, got the compressor wheel off and turbine wheel and shaft out. Got the turbine cover still on though. How do I take that off?

Zeb

Reaction score
I think the turbo blew a seal. Oil is in both up pipes and the turbo has oil all around it. Took turbo off, got the compressor wheel off and turbine wheel and shaft out. Got the turbine cover still on though. How do I take that off?

Turbo seal failure shouldn’t put oil in the up pipes.

To get the turbine housing off, unbolt/unclamp it from the center section, hold the turbo in one hand, and smack on the side of the turbine housing.
Needless to say, hit it on each side 180* from each other, not on a ridge, or ear, or anything like that.
I use a 3 lbs hammer, and don’t be afraid to hit it fairly hard. Just don’t miss and hit the compressor backing plate......that really sucks.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Can a turbo get too much? Like too much to blow the seal out?

I’m gonna get a used S471 and try it

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Can a turbo get too much? Like too much to blow the seal out?

I’m gonna get a used S471 and try it
Like zeb said, a blown turbo isnt gonna put oil in the up pipes. And a blown turbo wont cause the sound you were hearing. Sounds like an injector was loose to me, but if they were all good, that leaves motor issues. Possibly bent push rod, broken rocker, or something along those lines id think.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
No worries wasn't ment that way. He never responded saying either way..

live life full throttle
Lol I knew it wasn't, I realized after seeing your response though, that I hadnt said you said it... I hate looking like I'm that smart and thought of something in my own...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post. Maybe start by pressurizing the oil rails with shop air and see if it leaks by or holds. Remove hpop lines from rails and cap the rails.

Last edited:

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I do need to cap the lines then fill the Rez. Injs are out so no go on rails.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
One thing about the Rez draining, I should try to put a check valve in the 2nd oil supply that come from the oil line at the bottom of the block. Oil may drain back down while not running.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Got the 471 in. Looks god but the 1.32 turbine housing is gonna be too laggy. I believe. Gonna try to get a 1.15.

I turned the engine over several times, all rocker arms are moving. Someone is gonna have to educate me why if one is not completely straight, it causes a problem.