Power loss , intake flutter

eng53ine

Reaction score
2005 6.0, auto, 4x4, ccsb, xlt, 88,792mi.

Been having an issue arise where the truck will lose power, still has throttle but acts like it wants to die. The first time it did it was highway speeds , starting stuttering, flutter in the airbox white smoke. Pulled to the shoulder came to a slow stop, sit there for aprox. 30 seconds truck running all was fine.
That was about a week or two ago, last night it did the same thing. It was dark couldn't see any smoke, didnt stop just limped it for about half a mile and it was fine again. It does't dead pedal but doesn't want to go when throttle is given. No lights are thrown either.
Tablet was dead while it was doing it last night but did run it after i got home,and was back to running normal also don't know if im watching the right stuff or not.
Only codes are, p0470, and cylinder 3,4,7,8 glow plug circut.
9b43f3f36790c240b19be8c68a8b5516.png
ed6fe7710f197fa0e79a410451375c93.jpg

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Check your ebp vs map and baro koeo. They should be relatively close to each other. Ford says within 1.5 psi, typically theyre closer than that.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

eng53ine

Reaction score
Map& baro 14.3, ebp 14.5, i didnt add the map first ebp was 14.7, baro was 14.3. Started the truck reread your post shut it off and added map, those were key on engine off
19dcaca90e351e30ef9a3558bf63334b.jpg

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

bismic

Reaction score
Try running w/ the EBP sensor disconnected.

Also, monitor v-reference voltage

eng53ine

Reaction score
Ok will do, what is v reference voltage?
Also just went to the decided to give it a little fuel to see if it would do it again. Noticed felt sluggish, watched the mirror and was putting out black smoke. Left it idle probably 5 minutes while in the the store, did wiggle the pigtail on the turbo before leaving. Truck put out one puff of black smoke and was running perfect putting out no smoke. Could it be turbo related?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeb

Reaction score
Still have the egr cooler and valve? I have seen them act very similar to this when the egr system is intact and the valve randomly sticks open.

eng53ine

Reaction score
Still have the egr cooler and valve? I have seen them act very similar to this when the egr system is intact and the valve randomly sticks open.

Yes I believe everything is intact, it belonged to an older man supposedly and I have done anything to it.

Is there a way to check the egr or does it have to be pulled to be inspected?

Zeb

Reaction score
Yes I believe everything is intact, it belonged to an older man supposedly and I have done anything to it.

Is there a way to check the egr or does it have to be pulled to be inspected?

Unplug it and it should default closed. You’ll probably get a CEL, but it will run fine. Run it and see if the problem stays gone, or continues.

eng53ine

Reaction score
Unplug it and it should default closed. You’ll probably get a CEL, but it will run fine. Run it and see if the problem stays gone, or continues.

How long should it be run like that? Or wait and unplug when it starts doing it again. Also thought about ordering the orings and pulling it to see if it needs cleaned.

Zeb

Reaction score
How long should it be run like that? Or wait and unplug when it starts doing it again. Also thought about ordering the orings and pulling it to see if it needs cleaned.

However long you want. I ran my Excursion for 2 years like that. No CEL on it.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
What zeb said. Also, the pigtail for the vgt isnt broken is it? If you messed with it and it ran better, could br an issue there, or chafed wires right at the end of the hard shell

eng53ine

Reaction score
What zeb said. Also, the pigtail for the vgt isnt broken is it? If you messed with it and it ran better, could br an issue there, or chafed wires right at the end of the hard shell

It didn’t appear to broken, but I thought it seemed loose like you can wiggle the male part inside of the female side.

eng53ine

Reaction score
So far no more issues, what would i be better off to do? Pull it and clean it , lose it or leave it alone?

Latest posts

Members online