Lubrication Engineers Fleet Savings Calculator

jimdawg185

Reaction score
So, for the most part people either think oil is oil so the cheaper the better..... or that their favorite oil is made from liquid gold from the moon with the tears of angels in it. And to be honest I feel the same way about LE. No doubt in my mind that if my boss fired me I would still secretly use the stuff as it has saved my a$$ and and my wallet quite a bit in the last few years. But, again that is something that lots of guys say about their favorite oil.

Well, what is so special about this really? Yes, you won't find most oils in turbines at power plants like my stuff, big deal, how many of you work at power plant.. I mean, it's impressive that I can save the local power gen 40 million dollars. But, really does that mean anything to anyone except them....

Something that I have not talked about and I think that will make LE more relevant to you (maybe) is our fleet management. For the most part, the largest reason that no one knows who the heck we are is nearly zero marketing. We have no debt as a company, and that is a very good thing. But one of the reasons we have no debt is that we don't spend any money on anything other than research and development of lubricants, relying completely on the independent contractors that we employ to keep business growing. And for the last 60 years that has served us pretty dang well. How you ask, because we put huge money in our very large customers pockets. But, those same customers are not that excited to share their success with anyone. So the only way we really ever grew was when a guy would quit and go somewhere else, or we got lucky and found someone with a forward thinking mindset that also knew the assets and how they worked. Which by the way is really rare. Not too many mechanics like change, they have always done it a certain way and don't want to screw with something unless it soles a particular problem (also a way that we have grown business, by being problem solvers). Well in the last year or so my company has found their niche in the reliabilty circle with things like ISO 55000 and being the only lubricant manufacturer to be closely involved with reliability centered companies like Noria and Reliability web. This has helped change our focus as a company from selling a commodity to selling an asset...

Most lube is treated as a commodity, and we all use it as such. LE is shifting that mindset by looking at lubricants as an asset. We take 6 month PM's in clarifier gear boxes and turn them into conditioned based. We stop changing oils at 5 or 10k miles in trucks and set the PM on the actual condition of the oil, safely changing it at longer PM's saving labor and money on lubricants at the same time developing trending of lubricant analysis and taking advantage of the higher performing oils higher hp, mpg's, and wearing tendencies that result in longer asset life. Our large fleets don't really like to share this info because it saves them massive amounts of money. Now, I can't openly share specifics, but I can show you what we have found is a very important tool (and accurate). In the next couple of posts on this thread I am going to share with you that tool.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Below is a very common spreadsheet.

On the left you have the current oil and PM including cost of oil, fuel, and labor. On the right you have the same costs with corrections made for LE products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jimdawg185

Reaction score
618b783861a0ef02585e79704efff1d8.jpg

jimdawg185

Reaction score
This is a very conservative sheet, 1% increase in MPG (usually as high as 3-5% and only going out to 60k miles on the PM)

You can see I have also increased the fuel cost to cover treatment with our Full Torque Fuel additive.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
And here is the five year results in savings....
a7965fb7af8e8259d3ecafc4a07e8ea9.jpg

If you owned this fleet and we're putting nearly 300k in your pocket you wouldn't want to share that info either....

And remember, this is conservative...

jimdawg185

Reaction score
And remember this is not taking into consideration longer rebuilds, less downtime, towing bills avoided.... all of which are a reality of fleet maintenance and all of which are reduced using our products.

Oil analysis can predict failures far far before we can. I have caught coolant leaks, bad head gaskets, holes in intake tubes. Hell, I even caught a guy putting a competitors oil in a truck which ruined that LEs extended PM ability. This type of savings is incalcuable.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
So what about my truck? So i ran just my truck through with very conservative numbers.
d0e10ea5261f30fdd8a1c84ea25bbc2b.jpg

fdf6fc0c12b4afdd59dd2f3a48d12f35.jpg

Now, I know I saved way more than that in reality. Because I drove more than that. But its not a bad example or out of the realm of possibility for lots of you to attain this.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Please let me know if you have any questions. You can email me and I can run the numbers for you anytime on your trucks if you would like!

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Our 8800 (15w40) comes in the following quantities (I will break up cases if I need too, but there might be an added cost depending on a few variables)

All prices have shipping included to the lower 48 but not tax.

Case of 24 quarts $181.44 ($7.56 a quart)
Case of 3 count 2 gallon jugs 181.44 ($30.24 a gallon or $60.48 per jug)
5 gallon bucket $132.50 ($26.50 per gallon)
55 gallon barrel $1315.60 ($23.24 per gallon)
We have totes and 550 gallon tanks as well as tanker truck pricing as well which brings the price down per gallon as well.

rob05

Reaction score
In your first spreadsheet (the fleet example), isn't that showing that LE costs $272k more (over 5 years) then the current supplier or am I reading it wrong?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I forgot to hit enter after changing the price of the damn oil and tried to change it twice via tapatalk... Ill get it fixed. Thanks for the catch!!!

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I just need about 20 qrts or 4 gal, was curious to try it.

Most guys are buying a bucket and using the rest for either top off when they change a filter or something else. I use mine in my mower and off road toys.

I can offset the extra cost with some free grease, analysis, can of lube, pancakes, 25$ Cabellas gift card...whatever.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Here is without any fuel treatment or improved mpg's
f255e2a9a4479930a3b61658352e34c2.jpg

jimdawg185

Reaction score
The cost of treating fuel is high, but i think its worth it in the short and long runs. Most fuel isn't testing as high cetane wise as it's advertised in bulk tanks for whatever reason. And I know at least Cummins is mandating a minimum cetane of 41 for warranty depending on the asset. No one tests cetane often because of the high cost. And downtime because of injection pumps is rarely paid any mind. I could plump these numbers up to a 3 percent gain in mpg to make up the cost, because 3% is very attainable, but I just wanted to be very very conservative for yall.

vr6nutt

Reaction score
Been using LE 1150 ATF in my John Wood transmission for years now - good stuff.

Latest posts

Members online