Towing with MPD kit

Dsaline

Reaction score
how is towing with the mpd budget kit? is an exhaust brake required being non vgt? and do the temps stay down pretty low? thanks

doo dah

Reaction score
I don't have MPD but do have a non VGT turbo. I have pulled 15k pounds through 10k foot mountain passes without the EB so I think you'll be fine unless you are going to exceed the GCVW a lot. I usually lock out 6th unless it is really flat and I really try to keep my speed at 65 or under but that is more for the trailer tires than the truck however it helps things stay happy. As for temps I assume you are asking EGTs, mine rarely exceed 1300 on long climbs and average between 900-1,000 the rest of the time when hauling heavy. I get 7mpg uphill into the wind and have gotten as good as 11 on a run from Alamosa Colorado to Amarillo.

Last edited:

Dsaline

Reaction score
ok sweet! ya I'm only towing 13k now occasionally, just trying to get my tuned leveled out smokes a lot.

doo dah

Reaction score
In my experience GH tunes were very clean and TD tunes were very smoky under the turbo and cleaned up once boost came on.

Dsaline

Reaction score
ya I may have to switch tuners, I had them revise it but like you said under turbo it smoke bad, cant see the cars behind me and then once it spools its super clean.

Joseph_the_builder

Reaction score
I have a MPD kit on one truck and a H&S Motorsport kit on the other truck. Both trucks have a great power-band, tow great (30k lbs), and keep the temperatures in check. But my elevation is barely above sea level.

In my experience the exhaust brake on the 6.7 Powerstroke seems to use the transmission more than the turbo itself to slow the truck down.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I have a MPD kit on one truck and a H&S Motorsport kit on the other truck. Both trucks have a great power-band, tow great (30k lbs), and keep the temperatures in check. But my elevation is barely above sea level.

In my experience the exhaust brake on the 6.7 Powerstroke seems to use the transmission more than the turbo itself to slow the truck down.

With aftermarket tuning, the exhaust brake is a beast. I couldnt live without it while driving in switchbacks and vastly changing elevations in mountainous terrains. Big difference in just downshifting vs. Downshifting with exhaust back pressure.

ckrueg

Reaction score
With aftermarket tuning, the exhaust brake is a beast. I couldnt live without it while driving in switchbacks and vastly changing elevations in mountainous terrains. Big difference in just downshifting vs. Downshifting with exhaust back pressure.
Agreed, my truck will hit 50+psi with the exhaust brake. It works better than stock

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online