Oil filter changes for extended intervals advice

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
Guys, I am running Jimbo's 8854 unicorn piss. Trying to go long on oil changes, filter changes and oil sample on 5k mile internals.

While driving a ******d truck is not exactly green,I do believe in not changing oil until it's time. I am not a tree hugger, just believe in waste not. I think 3k mile oil changes are wasteful. So I decided to run long oil change intervals with proper monitoring. Should end up cheaper in long run. However today was my first time changing the filter without draining the oil first. Starting my extended intervals. I probably am wearing one quart of oil and another is on the concrete just changing the filter. Wtf am I doing wrong? I heard of using a vacuum to pull oil into crankcase when draining, but this crap just kept coming. I have a fumoto valve to take sample, but didn't figure on the mess from filter changes. Any advice?

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
Pic

Attachments

• 20180113_033546.jpg
    20180113_033546.jpg
    844.3 KB · Views: 152

Spatel23

Reaction score
Just be really patient and unscrew the filter a little bit at a time.
Unscrew until oil starts coming down, sit until it stops. Unscrew more sit so on and so forth.
That’s how I do it.
Another way is to punch the bottom.

Either way after you get all that you think is in there, you’ll still have some left in the filter so get ready to be quick. Bring it straight down into the waste container.

You’ll eventually get a feel for unscrewing until it’s hanging by just A thread.

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
There is way more oil than the capacity of the filter coming out. However I will deff punch it next time. Me and Jack were working on not much sleep. Figured couldn't be much in there,I was wrong

PDT1081

Reaction score
There is way more oil than the capacity of the filter coming out. However I will deff punch it next time. Me and Jack were working on not much sleep. Figured couldn't be much in there,I was wrong

Loosen the filter first, then punch the whole. The filter will collapse if you punch it first.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
These guys are right on point. I unscrew it till it’s seeping out, let it drain for 30 seconds, unscrew it a bit more, drain, then a but more. I got it down to where its almost second nature. But, in the end, you need to expect 1.5-2 quarts to come running down that filter. Even if you drain the pan, that 1-2 quarts has to basically come out of the filter head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckrueg

Reaction score
I ran 7500 mile filter intervals and ran my 8854 out to 20.5k. Analysis showed good results so I will keep doing it.
6e29ac5d6881f027b8f3913d7e32908c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Barnbuilder

Reaction score
Where do you get the oil analysis? I'm about 8k on my oil. Could I just change out the filter and send that off for an analysis?

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Perhaps it would be worth the cost and effort to run a Amzoil by-pass setup with a "cut-off" valve on the supply side. That way you can pull the filters and swap out without loosing so much oil.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Perhaps it would be worth the cost and effort to run a Amzoil by-pass setup with a "cut-off" valve on the supply side. That way you can pull the filters and swap out without loosing so much oil.

Probably could, but im not a fan if messing with the full flow system. Once you get the process down it’s pretty quick and easy.

Jomax

Reaction score
Guys, I am running Jimbo's 8854 unicorn piss. Trying to go long on oil changes, filter changes and oil sample on 5k mile internals.

While driving a ******d truck is not exactly green,I do believe in not changing oil until it's time. I am not a tree hugger, just believe in waste not. I think 3k mile oil changes are wasteful. So I decided to run long oil change intervals with proper monitoring. Should end up cheaper in long run. However today was my first time changing the filter without draining the oil first. Starting my extended intervals. I probably am wearing one quart of oil and another is on the concrete just changing the filter. Wtf am I doing wrong? I heard of using a vacuum to pull oil into crankcase when draining, but this crap just kept coming. I have a fumoto valve to take sample, but didn't figure on the mess from filter changes. Any advice?

Running it to 5k isn’t extending the OCI. Why aren’t you going to 10k? Make life easy and do oil/fuel filters every 10k?

HOUTX01X

Reaction score
Where do you get the oil analysis? I'm about 8k on my oil. Could I just change out the filter and send that off for an analysis?

Black stone is where I send mine.
Running the same oil. I changed filter at 7500. I’m at 10k now about to send in a sample. I might do 5k filter changes next time.

Justinlw

Reaction score
I just sampled at 10k with Schaefer’s and an amsoil bypass. Blackstone said filter and oil are clear for another 3-5k. Last oil change I spent a lot of time in the south Texas dirt, they asked for filter change at 5k.

Blackstone can tell by contaminants if you need a filter or not, I trust their advice.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Just delt with that **** Saturday lol. I wrench on heavy diesels for a living. Think to myself “it’s an oil change no way I’ll make a mess” I have the bottom of a 55gal drum I use for a drain pan... drained my oil, with the quick drain valve... doing it in my driveway cause it’s a bit of an uphill slope... get all the oil out without spilling a drop. Crack the oil filter loose. Let it drain, again nothing spilt. Finish unscrewing the filter, drops into the fresh drained oil and splashes EVERWHERE! *** me right. Now I’ve got a 2’ oil stain on the driveway.

Punch a hole in middle bottom of filter and let er drain is easiest way. Also go to Home Depot and get a concrete mixing tub... holds like 12gallons. And is less than a foot tall. And there less than 15$ iirc. Makes for a good catch pan... idk about draining all the engine oil into it tho cause would prob suck to try and dispose of.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I just sampled at 10k with Schaefer’s and an amsoil bypass. Blackstone said filter and oil are clear for another 3-5k. Last oil change I spent a lot of time in the south Texas dirt, they asked for filter change at 5k.

Blackstone can tell by contaminants if you need a filter or not, I trust their advice.

Blackstone is not an ASTM certified lab. ICP can only pick up 1-8um, so it can not guide you if you require a filter change and does not give you any clear picture of delta p over the filtration media. Its better to stick close to OEM full flow Filtration PMs.

Justinlw

Reaction score
Blackstone is not an ASTM certified lab. ICP can only pick up 1-8um, so it can not guide you if you require a filter change and does not give you any clear picture of delta p over the filtration media. Its better to stick close to OEM full flow Filtration PMs.

Those are some big words, but I think I got it. I’m running a big spin-on filter (FF) that has about twice the surface area of OEM according to specs. I assumed that would translate to twice the OEM FF interval.

Latest posts

Members online