Looking at buying a 05 6.0

psdguy95

Reaction score
The girlfriend and I are looking at getting a 05 ex with 222k from a local ford dealer. The dealer just did head gaskets, egr cooler, oil cooler, a turbo, and 3 injectors on it. I checked it out the other day and the engine seems to be in great shape now. No blowby and runs smooth. the interior is mint but the body has a little rust on it. they are asking $14,500 for it. I'm not very familiar with excursions so is there anything important I should be looking at before buying it?

DieselJpower

Reaction score
I just picked up an 04 ex on Wednesday. I'd say if your willing to spend that much, scope southern dealers and CL for a no rust having truck. Rust is not worth messing with imo. Be patient, yet diligent since nice ones come up often, but sometimes sell real quick. Plus private party sales are nice cause they're often cheaper and no dealer fee nonsense. 05's are nice with the coils up front, but this 04 is pretty sweet too. My 02 350 is a similar setup to yours, but boy this 6.0 is nice even without tuning. Especially vs a non tuned 7.3 I feel like a tune and it's going to be a super reasonable power level without sacrificing reliability. I got a tuner on the way already.

I'd say whatever truck you look at just bring your Bluetooth obd or AE or something to monitor it while you drive it and steer clear of the rust.

And fwiw mine has about 15k more miles however it's clean inside and out with no rust and it was $4k less then the one your looking at. There's deals to be had, just got to be on the hunt.

sootie

Reaction score
no such thing as an excursion with coils. The 05 models are 04 trucks with a face lift. They didn't get the suspension and interior updates with the pickups.

sootie

Reaction score
I just picked up an 04 ex on Wednesday. I'd say if your willing to spend that much, scope southern dealers and CL for a no rust having truck. Rust is not worth messing with imo. Be patient, yet diligent since nice ones come up often, but sometimes sell real quick. Plus private party sales are nice cause they're often cheaper and no dealer fee nonsense. 05's are nice with the coils up front, but this 04 is pretty sweet too. My 02 350 is a similar setup to yours, but boy this 6.0 is nice even without tuning. Especially vs a non tuned 7.3 I feel like a tune and it's going to be a super reasonable power level without sacrificing reliability. I got a tuner on the way already.

I'd say whatever truck you look at just bring your Bluetooth obd or AE or something to monitor it while you drive it and steer clear of the rust.

And fwiw mine has about 15k more miles however it's clean inside and out with no rust and it was $4k less then the one your looking at. There's deals to be had, just got to be on the hunt.

no such thing as an excursion with coils. The 05 models are 04 trucks with a face lift. They didn't get the suspension and interior updates with the pickups.

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Learn something new every day. That's what I get for assuming.

Bottom line to me is steer clear of the rust.

There was a guy in Illinois I found with an 02 7.3 ex with 160/30s, 38r, bts , rebuilt rear end, air bags , all new suspension and no rust for $9k. Problem for me was that it's 2wd and the interior wasn't perfect. I was dead set on a 7.3 ex for a while since it's a familiar platform, but decided a 6.0 would be a fun change and cool to learn the different platform.

I got the guys number if you want it.

sootie

Reaction score
Learn something new every day. That's what I get for assuming.

Bottom line to me is steer clear of the rust.

There was a guy in Illinois I found with an 02 7.3 ex with 160/30s, 38r, bts , rebuilt rear end, air bags , all new suspension and no rust for $9k. Problem for me was that it's 2wd and the interior wasn't perfect. I was dead set on a 7.3 ex for a while since it's a familiar platform, but decided a 6.0 would be a fun change and cool to learn the different platform.

I got the guys number if you want it.

get gear heads srl tune for your six oh and you will be amazed. so drivable, so clean, so much power, so much mileage.

psdguy95

Reaction score
I appreciate the input. The rust isn’t that big of a deal to me. We’re gping to look at it again tomorrow

webb06

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to reset the keyless entry code of the 05s?

Must have the factory code or existing code to to reset. Factory code is always active and can be retrieved with IDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online