Stereo upgrade

HD F250

Reaction score
I am looking upgrade my stereo using the factory nav head unit and have a few questions for the audio guys.

1. Anyone figured out a solution to add amps to the factory head unit? I want a good clean signal because I am going with some high end components (Focal, Hertz or Morel probably).

2. Any recommendations on which speakers to use for the dash? My quick research revealed that it is two 3 inch speakers.

3. My truck is a regular cab so looking for a recommendation on a nice small enclosure sub.

Lastly, any dealers who can give me some good prices send me a PM.

Thanks in advance!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I am looking upgrade my stereo using the factory nav head unit and have a few questions for the audio guys.

1. Anyone figured out a solution to add amps to the factory head unit? I want a good clean signal because I am going with some high end components (Focal, Hertz or Morel probably).

2. Any recommendations on which speakers to use for the dash? My quick research revealed that it is two 3 inch speakers.

3. My truck is a regular cab so looking for a recommendation on a nice small enclosure sub.

Lastly, any dealers who can give me some good prices send me a PM.

Thanks in advance!

i used an audio processor, Audio Control DM-810 , and used Focal Elite K2 components and crossovers. works well .

qzillanut

Reaction score
I’m a 3 time spl world champion. I’ve was at the pinnacle of car audio in 2006. Most of having a great sounding system is having a great install. Most of the off the shelf audio components are made China. China produces some very good products but you pay more for them if you want their best. Some companies pay more for the best of China and some just purchase cosmetics. I would say probably 93% of the American car audio market is made in China. 4% hand assembled from Chinese components, and about 3% that’s true top shelf. But you need to understand that every speaker needs a proper supporting cast to function it’s best. Some need a box, some are designed for free air. Some aperiodic. You will never achieve world class without a ton of work. But if you spend a ton on components you can get a decent sounding system with no effort. Most of the expensive stuff is designed to work well in the common new model year vehicles attempt at an in door speaker enclosure.

qzillanut

Reaction score
True world class comes from taking the best component and making the best enclosure for it. Which takes a lot of trial and error, alcohol, money, devotion.....you get my point.

HD F250

Reaction score
i used an audio processor, Audio Control DM-810 , and used Focal Elite K2 components and crossovers. works well .

Thanks Mikey! I will check out the processor and I am considering the Focal K2 Power 165KRX2's. What sub and amps are you running? I am thinking about pulling stuff out of silver truck.

HD F250

Reaction score
True world class comes from taking the best component and making the best enclosure for it. Which takes a lot of trial and error, alcohol, money, devotion.....you get my point.

I appreciate the feedback and agree on the install. I have never been at that level, but built and tuned a few sub boxes in my time. At this point I just want a quality sounding speaker with a little bit of bass. My days of making my windows leak are over.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Mikey! I will check out the processor and I am considering the Focal K2 Power 165KRX2's. What sub and amps are you running? I am thinking about pulling stuff out of silver truck.

JL Shallow 10's , and JL HD Amps' i think 1200/5 . you could prolly rock one shallow 12 and be done .

HD F250

Reaction score
JL Shallow 10's , and JL HD Amps' i think 1200/5 . you could prolly rock one shallow 12 and be done .

Thanks Mike. I am definitely planning on a single sub. Two subs in a regular cab would be a little more than I need. I am going to a local stereo shop tomorrow and listen to some speakers.

Quigs4u

Reaction score
I’m using a Amp pro ap4-fd21 bypassed the oem processor In my 17 platinum. With a little custom work managed to get a morel 8 3/4 in each front door. I’m running Morel Elate Titanium 903’s in the front doors and the 603’s in the back doors. Simple jl Stealthbox with jl amps running everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greyford1979

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I am definitely planning on a single sub. Two subs in a regular cab would be a little more than I need. I am going to a local stereo shop tomorrow and listen to some speakers.

Always amazes me how many people buy speakers without first listening to a wide variety of them since people have different tastes in in how their speakers sound.

I’m using a Amp pro ap4-fd21 bypassed the oem processor In my 17 platinum. With a little custom work managed to get a morel 8 3/4 in each front door. I’m running Morel Elate Titanium 903’s in the front doors and the 603’s in the back doors. Simple jl Stealthbox with jl amps running everything.

Have always loved me some Morel speakers. That's what I have in my truck.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Always amazes me how many people buy speakers without first listening to a wide variety of them since people have different tastes in in how their speakers sound.

what's crazy to me is that the same speakers in one vehicle will sound very different in another. acoustics have a crazy effect .

greyford1979

Reaction score
what's crazy to me is that the same speakers in one vehicle will sound very different in another. acoustics have a crazy effect .

Yeah I've actually taken speakers out of one car that sounded awesome and put them in another and sounded like poo lol. Even in your home different rooms will change the sounds depending on furniture amount of walls and flooring.

HD F250

Reaction score

Sounds like a very nice set up. Thanks for the feedback!

Have always loved me some Morel speakers. That's what I have in my truck.

I like to listen to speakers before buying them. I listened to the new Focal expert series and some KR's and they were both very nice. I will find a shop with some Morel's and check them out.

Quigs4u

Reaction score
Sounds like a very nice set up. Thanks for the feedback!

I like to listen to speakers before buying them. I listened to the new Focal expert series and some KR's and they were both very nice. I will find a shop with some Morel's and check them out.

No problem. Don’t let them tell you a 8 3/4 won’t fit in your door They fit with a little oem enclosure mod- and they sound like subs—- the sound quality is incredible. Don’t forget soundskins or dynomat!! Good luck with your search
5a27f41837dc55a0c234c3c915fba008.jpg
25f286d46ee949513d7562391a21da0a.jpg
a58edef943b6e8241c307ba7e99fe0cf.jpg

HD F250

Reaction score
No problem. Don’t let them tell you a 8 3/4 won’t fit in your door They fit with a little oem enclosure mod- and they sound like subs—- the sound quality is incredible. Don’t forget soundskins or dynomat!! Good luck with your search[

Your set up looks really good. I am going to have to do some research to find a Morel dealer here. What thickness is the wood did you made your speaker rings out of? Did you mount the tweeters in the factory location?

Quigs4u

Reaction score
Your set up looks really good. I am going to have to do some research to find a Morel dealer here. What thickness is the wood did you made your speaker rings out of? Did you mount the tweeters in the factory location?

Thanks
Wood is 3/4 mdf.
Yes tweeters in factory location.
The Mid was installed were the Oem lock/ unlock and Oem memory seat position switches were located. The switches were relocated to inside door pocket so they still function as they should and weren’t eliminated.
02e2cb79e1476e4343548edf7f44e049.jpg
654b5650477ef350c064fffae7e81006.jpg

Not the best pictures but you get the idea.

HD F250

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I like the relocation idea. I have decided if I am brave enough to do a 3 way set yet. If I went your route, I probably wouldn’t need a sub since I have a RCLB.

e8cfa4228bbb227a3f09c9a81903a54d.jpg

Glassman504

Reaction score
I have a 17. With jl processor audio frog in the doors, jl amps and 2 12s jl subs. But I may change to some sd3s. Also have soundskinz everywhere. Really clean

Quigs4u

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. I like the relocation idea. I have decided if I am brave enough to do a 3 way set yet. If I went your route, I probably wouldn’t need a sub since I have a RCLB.

e8cfa4228bbb227a3f09c9a81903a54d.jpg

Slick looking truck man!!
It looks angry!!
You can always add the subs later if you want more BOOM!!

Quigs4u

Reaction score
I have a 17. With jl processor audio frog in the doors, jl amps and 2 12s jl subs. But I may change to some sd3s. Also have soundskinz everywhere. Really clean

2 jl subs — Must hit hard.
The expensive kind of massaging seat!!!!