Upgraded Power Steering Pump Installed

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Which master did you use? The OBS one or the F-Superduty?

[email protected]

Well, since I have single piston rear calipers currently I use a master cylinder from a 99 expedition.

piston volume in cubic inches is very close to the setup I am currently running. The expedition had dual piston front calipers and single piston rears.

It definitely made the single piston calipers work correctly or at least working a lot harder than they were.

I have tried the OEM master, the super duty master that the hydroboost came from, and an E350 master cylinder. I think there was one other odd ball too, smaller bore to increase pressure with less pedal activation.
the Expedition by far made the rear calipers work the hardest and braking the best.

my front pads are something fancy I bought with drilled and slotted rotors and I am starting to think they are junk and not grabbing worth a crap, but then maybe it is hydroboost not working correctly.

It panic stops well, but daily driving I think pedal pressure is way too much as well as steering effort. I took some caster out and it helped a ton but I shouldn't have to do that.
I just shouldn't have to push so hard on the pedal for normal stopping.

My focus right now is to reduce pedal effort, I think that result will reduce steering effort.

just not sure whether to port hydroboost or try different steering pump first. May end up doing both.

After that will come the 10.5 swap debate.

I remember toe touch hydro boost growing up on big trucks. You barely touch the brakes and it is stopping. This setup now is ridiculous.

OverlandCamper

Reaction score
Greetings, I'm new but I did have some questions about this upgrade and also some unfortunate information I got as well about this so far in my hunt to do this upgrade. I own a 1997 Ford F-250HD with the 7.3 Powerstroke, deets in the signature. 
1) TexasJ mentioned on page 6, post #52 about contacting Pressworks Maximum about the CAD file and having them make one. I have bad news, I tried contacting them and they report they lost the file when the hard drive failed on their system. Any chance that TexasJ could hopefully contact them and provide the pulley again for their CAD files? I was really hoping to save myself a scavenger hunt and just buy the blasted thing and be done with it.
2) Peroni mentions in post # 59 that he contacted Lee power steering for new reservoir but provided no specs on dimensions of the reservoir or bracket. Lee has a 3” and 3.5” diameter bracket. Also what is the height and all of that? Any chance you could provide that information?
3) Is this upgrade good for non-hydroboost applications or should I run the hydroboost as well? What would be the benefits of this? Asking because, from my standpoint, brakes feel pretty good so far and it’s not like I could ditch the vacuum pump under the hood anyways as that is needed to run the HVAC as well, right? Forgive my ignorance in this subject, just something I haven’t fully researched yet. I may consider hydroboost though as I am planning on swapping in a set of 2001 super duty axles I have.
4) Are the hoses something that I would have to fabricate or can I just get these from local parts stores in a pinch? Also, is this easier if I have the 4-bolt gear box upgrade from the SD as well?

Thanks for your time, and thanks for the information your forums have provided me with. Honestly, I do searches for things I am trying to do to my powerstroke and this forum comes up quite often along with PSN and oilburners depending on how I word my questions. ^^;; I know the factory pumps in these things suck and with plans to upgrade my axles and in process getting room for bigger tires I knew I would have to replace the steering pump.

Kowboy

Reaction score
Sorry!! looks like I read the number wrong. I got the number from this post, must have selected the wrong one.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
I just bought the bracket with pulley and supposedly '05 pump off fake book marketplace. $280 shipped.

If it actually shows up I am pretty happy with that. Got tired of screwing around trying to piece it together cheaper.

Not sure but I can ask if he has more. He didn't take the ad down so I imagine that means he has more, or it is a scam.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
My bracket and pump showed up yesterday.

It came with a HBD-LF pump.

He said it was off a 2005 F350 but from what I could find it was from a E450 with 6.0 2005-2010. But I cannot find any flow specs.

Who makes these? Where can I find info? I am running into dead ends.

I would think this would be at the upper end of the flow specs since 450s were often ambulances for motorhomes, but it seems the HBD series shows up all across the spectrum in different vehicles.

From the first post.

HBD-MX puts out 2.8-3.2gpm with a min/max relief of 1750 and 1850psi.

HBC-JX pump flows 1.4gpm with relief setting of 1400 and 1530psi.

HBC-JY which was used on the SD trucks with hydroboost flows 1.5gpm with a 1450 and 1530psi relief.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Just to share what I learned.

I could not find specs on pumps at all.

I did find the spec for a 2005 F350 with 6.0 diesel is supposed to be 2.8-3.2gpm with a min/max relief of 1750 and 1850psi.

So forget all the hbd numbers, the stg numbers.

The pump that came from with my bracket is iffy, so I am going to order one, a new one from someplace. In theory the new one should meet the 1850 psi specs.

I did also notice, aligning the pulley it was only half way on the shaft. Is that normal?
I was thinking of putting the pulley on backwards so there was more pulley shaft contact. That was before I started thinking there is too much shaft play for my liking.

OverlandCamper

Reaction score
Really sorry it's been a while since I have checked this posting for any updates. I've been busy with both work and my other automotive projects so getting online is difficult at times. ^^;;
Will this pump and pulley work? It appears to be similar to the upgrade mod C3 pump. If it is the right pump and pulley I will likely be ordering this soon.
I guess I can ask them about their reservoir size as well unless someone here can give dimensions.
https://leepowersteering.com/collections/power-steering-pumps/products/ford-ciii-replacement-power-steering-pump

Reaction score
I would call Lee’s and talk with them. Just being an 8 rib pulley won’t do it, it has to have the right offset too. The 7.3 van pulley is scarce. I have 2, I can get dimensions if needed. I know the 6.0 pump will work but the pulley from the 6.0 won’t.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
If it is the right pump and pulley I will likely be ordering this soon.
I guess I can ask them about their reservoir size as well unless someone here can give dimensions.

Dang, that is spendy. What made you choose that one?

it doesn't even list flow or pressure specs.

Rock auto has PS pumps for 99 E350 diesels with pulley for about $70.
gets you the pulley but the pump is worthless.

I found it interesting, I used a motorcraft pump from a 2005 F350 with 6.0. It is supposed to be the higher 1800 psi, but what I found was the working pressure of the 2005 PS hoses is only 1500. Of course the burst pressure is like 4500 but still, kinda weird.

Haven't gotten it out of the garage yet, but idle in the garage there is far less steering effort lock to lock than there was. It took 2 hands before, now I can palm steer it.

I used a reservoir off a superduty. It was a gas engine truck. Bolted it next to hydroboost on firewall, the SD feed hose to pump was even the correct length.

Reaction score
I was set to do that with Rick Auto pump just to get the pulley until I stumbled on 2 new pulleys. Good to know which SD pump and about the reservoir. I have a lot of stuff over in that corner already so not sure how it will fit for me. Any chance you could post a pic of the reservoir set up?
I have the AMP Powerstep control box, Mann CCV filter and soon to be Isspro control box in that corner. I was hoping to do a Freightliner M2 reservoir, has a filter built in.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
So far with new PS pump, Brakes are awesome. Steering is awesome.
Brakes and steering at the same time, Not so awesome, in fact the opposite of awesome.
hopefully I just have some air left in the system. I didn't bleed it much before taking off on a test drive.

Brake pedal effort/feel. pretty amazing. It is as nice as my 2014 superduty with the 6.7. Pedal travel might be a little longer but I am super sensative.
I am running hydro boost and dual piston rear calipers from E350 van. Very similar to the super duty rear disc setup.
I am running an 1 1/4" bore master cylinder. through the factory rear abs valve.
Stopping is amazing, never stopped this easily. Braking is much more sporty and positive.

Steering is good, feels pretty light compared to before. I do notice steering gets easier as soon as the rpms come up from idle. So maybe I have another issue there.

I need to try and bleed the system and drive it more. the more I drove it yesterday the better everything was getting.

I used a 2005 F350 6.0 PS pump and Pressure hose. 3/8" compression fitting to connect to the 97 F superduty hydroboost pressure line.

Attachments

• ps1.jpg
    ps1.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 120
  • ps2.jpg
    ps2.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 110
  • ps3.jpg
    ps3.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 118

MustacheMike

Reaction score
Dang, that is spendy. What made you choose that one?

it doesn't even list flow or pressure specs.

Rock auto has PS pumps for 99 E350 diesels with pulley for about $70.
gets you the pulley but the pump is worthless.

I found it interesting, I used a motorcraft pump from a 2005 F350 with 6.0. It is supposed to be the higher 1800 psi, but what I found was the working pressure of the 2005 PS hoses is only 1500. Of course the burst pressure is like 4500 but still, kinda weird.

Haven't gotten it out of the garage yet, but idle in the garage there is far less steering effort lock to lock than there was. It took 2 hands before, now I can palm steer it.

I used a reservoir off a superduty. It was a gas engine truck. Bolted it next to hydroboost on firewall, the SD feed hose to pump was even the correct length.

Which PS pump/pulley on Rock Auto? Seeing BBB Industries for $158

Latest posts

Members online