Renting Toy Hauler/Travel Trailer

Jomax

Reaction score
Having been a camper owner for years. Your better off committing to nice hotels that you can find great deals on. Campers..... uggg. I don't care if it's a $85,000 fifth wheel.

Have you seen those shows that show how dirty a hotel really is? Makes me never want to go into one lol. Necessary evil I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
Bringing this back up. Wife and I were in Lake George last week for Americade and looked at an Altitude Toy Hauler, model 3712 with a price of $72k. Had a show price of $58k. Wife hadn't really been interested in camping but after looking at the trailer she is definitely interested. Anyone have experience with this brand?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a brand by Crossroads RV which is owned by Thor Industries in/around the Elkhart, IN area. Thor has bought up numerous mfgrs in recent years to create strong component buying power. They are all made basically the same, and was said, mostly kinda crappy... lol. They all have similar issues and the floor plan priorities should be your guide. Look closely at how they package the tanks, how much weight capacity they have for your stuff, what to expect for weight change when the water is used and moved from one tank to another when towing, etc. Seems kinda anal, but plenty of issues with a trailer towing good in one condition, but not in another.

I get the excitement of walking thru new RVs at shows, but no way Id buy a brand new one.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
No we're not buying brand new. I don't see the point in buying new when there are so many quality used units out there, like when I was shopping for my Harley. Bought one that was 6 years old, paid cash and got a great deal. Spending $58k or so on a new unit that I might use 5 times a year due to work schedule is not in the cards.If I had Summer's off and we were going to travel, different story.

Wife and I stumbled upon the Altitude trailers at a motorcycle expo over the weekend. At least we found the floor plan that we like which is 1.5 baths, outside porch, and large kitchen/TV area, and 5er. We walked through a travel trailer but wife liked the master suite in the 5er better.

I appreciate your input and also will look into how the trailer is made up and how much space they leave for me to add things. We'll be traveling with my Harley 95% of the time so have to allocate for that plus all my riding gear, fuel onboard, tank capacities, etc. I don't know much about 5ers but am learning a lot and learning which companies to stay away from. Crossroads seems to be one to avoid based on a quick Google search.

Last edited:

Profuzz

Reaction score
I was just in Elkhart picking up my new 26 ft rance all aluminum fifth wheel cargo trailer! There are shops all around there building from pusher coaches to ambulances
a2b11ca905e6b92f39e700f1daadb818.jpg
71196506565effed16bd321deb3e1f48.jpg
be21bebe32295ff51c583dba6a658d17.jpg

kingbilly68

Reaction score
I was just in Elkhart picking up my new 26 ft rance all aluminum fifth wheel cargo trailer! There are shops all around there building from pusher coaches to ambulances
a2b11ca905e6b92f39e700f1daadb818.jpg
71196506565effed16bd321deb3e1f48.jpg
be21bebe32295ff51c583dba6a658d17.jpg

Good looking trailer...

valvetick

Reaction score
No we're not buying brand new. I don't see the point in buying new when there are so many quality used units out there, like when I was shopping for my Harley. Bought one that was 6 years old, paid cash and got a great deal. Spending $58k or so on a new unit that I might use 5 times a year due to work schedule is not in the cards.If I had Summer's off and we were going to travel, different story.

Wife and I stumbled upon the Altitude trailers at a motorcycle expo over the weekend. At least we found the floor plan that we like which is 1.5 baths, outside porch, and large kitchen/TV area, and 5er. We walked through a travel trailer but wife liked the master suite in the 5er better.

I appreciate your input and also will look into how the trailer is made up and how much space they leave for me to add things. We'll be traveling with my Harley 95% of the time so have to allocate for that plus all my riding gear, fuel onboard, tank capacities, etc. I don't know much about 5ers but am learning a lot and learning which companies to stay away from. Crossroads seems to be one to avoid based on a quick Google search.

The toy hauler style campers will have a much more plush living area but the race trailers are built much stronger for hauling heavier weight, full steel or aluminum frame and walls rather then particle board and fiberglass etc. I personally think some of those all aluminum living quarter horse trailers are some of the best built for a trailer at least.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.