Is Rotella really bad on a 7.3?

Jomax

Reaction score
7.3s are old clunkers, I know plenty guys who run only rotella, and no issues. Is it the best, heck no. But it won’t make your motor die...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
Just sooner is all..

live life full throttle

Not really proven. Like really not proven to prove if the engine failed that it was caused by using Rotella.

LOL tongue twister, not really correct grammar wise. But it’s funny and it’s late. Don’t really care lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCart

Reaction score
Using Rotella in the Tan White Tan truck with a large capacity Donaldson DBL 7405 which is a fair bit larger capacity then stock filter. (Filter fits Cat engines and happens to spin right on stock location). 15-40W in summer and 10-30w winter and it seems to run smooth, filter seems to keep oil soot free longer too (not sure if that’s good or bad).

Ran Delo 400 for years in my first couple 7.3 and noticed at 5000 kms (3000 miles) they’d run rough (like pulling up to a stop light). Tried Mobile full synthetic in the red truck, with an oil by pass system on it, seemed to work never ran A UOA on it though, cost in Canada to swap out 25 litre of full synthetic lost its appeal pretty quickly though..... so Rotella for now.
j

AK1959

Reaction score
Old truck with a fairly new 7.3 turbo diesel in it. After two rounds of break-in oil, tried Amsoil Signature Series 15W-40 Diesel Oil. Now, full disclosure, this engine is not stock. That being said, it shredded the Amsoil ( Amsoil is great stuff ) in just 1400 miles. I do not doubt anyone on this forum that their motor prefers brand A over brand B of oil, and the HEUI's are a special breed of motor to be sure. This truck prefers Rotella T6 15W-40. It purrs like a really big kitten on the stuff. My oil analysis comes back with flying colors at 3K, so I've made my interval every 4K because these engines like fresh oil. I think the real thing to take away from the forums isn't which oil you shouldn't use, but rather find one that you're motor likes and stick with it. Do your maintenance religiously if you like your vehicle and want to keep it. Synthetics can be expensive for sure, so if you're on a budget, watch for sales in the parts stores and maybe stock up on a couple of changes worth when your chosen oil is on sale. T6 goes on sale for $20 a gallon pretty regularly (manufacturer's sale). Whatever you use, be kind to your engine and give it fresh oil at regular intervals. That's going to do more for it's life than whatever brand you choose.

dmd

Reaction score
Changing synthetic at 4000 is really expensive. You pay for the additives that should make it last 10k with a bypass filter. I run the LE8700 to 5000-miles and even then it is hardly worn.. I thought I was extreme with my low interval before reading this..

Diesel625

Reaction score
I’ve used the rotella 15w40 in just about anything you can think of, but wouldn’t use in a Heui motor. I’d rather run a full synthetic due to the shearing. I run Schaeffers 9000 5w40. I used to run Mobil 1 5w40, and prefer the Schaeffers any day.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Im not even going to sart on amsoil or rotella...

You are correct about changing the oil often in a heui motor.. its the only way to keep them healthy.

After many oil analysis with rotella on many different rigs and equipment, there is no way in hell that i would recommend it unless you liked changing your oil every 100 hrs...

On all those same rigs and equipment, i switched them to le 8700 and doubled oci on them all... and paid less for the 8700 than anything else you could buy name brand...

live life full throttle

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Twin pumps and t6 is not fun unless you like 2k mi oci.
For me it sheared very badly.
After 1500 mi the idle was not as smooth, power lagged slightly.
Drained like thick water at 2500 mi.
Been running delo at 4K oci.
It will still shear but I know when the idle goes to **** it’s time.
I knew with twin pumps I was going to have this issue so I’m not surprised or mad about it.
Maybe one day I’ll try the LE or Schaffer’s.

Reaction score
I knew with twin pumps I was going to have this issue so I’m not surprised or mad about it.

Try Le. I’ve ran both Schaffer’s and Le.

My Obs with 3/200s idled almost like a stock truck with Le. Schaffer’s was a close second.

psduser1

Reaction score

You'd like scheaffers. I'm getting between 4 and 5k on an oil change, on three trucks. All of them over 250k miles, and all of them not stock.

dsberman94

Reaction score
LE might get more difficult to get. Jimmy got out of the LE game. I think he said he’d give contact info for another vendor for anyone interested but I can’t remember specifically.

Arisley

Reaction score
LE might get more difficult to get. Jimmy got out of the LE game. I think he said he’d give contact info for another vendor for anyone interested but I can’t remember specifically.

Yes he will help out with another vendor. He is a good guy like that.

dmd

Reaction score
I still call Jim for LE, he hasn't refereed me to anyone else so he is the man.

Not hard to get at all, call/pay and it is on my door step the next day usually. I run the
8521 (I think) in the cars, Dodge Ram approaching 200k, Volvo 130K. The red oil
on the dipstick gets interesting questions from mechanics that check the oil.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Try le 8700 man. I dont have the twin pump experience or comparison but that chit is amazing oil in every other aspect! Like double and tripple oci in everything i have ran it in.

Jimmy can still get you LE. But i think the mass ordering goes to the local reps now.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online