gooseneck trailers

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
Those red rhino trailers look sweet next time I'm looking for a new one I'll be doing more research on those trailers

I have a 27' + 5' dove tail deck over dual tandem axle big tex trailer trailer has been in the family for close to 15 years and have never had an issue with it

Also have a 30' tandem axle deck over 14k Texas pride trailer it was purchased to keep me under Texas DOT laws for work looks like a good trailer and it pulls good but it's only a few weeks old so we will see how it holds up

SAK

Reaction score
Also have a 30' tandem axle deck over 14k Texas pride trailer it was purchased to keep me under Texas DOT laws for work looks like a good trailer and it pulls good but it's only a few weeks old so we will see how it holds up

Had a 26' bumper pull Texas Pride and it was a great trailer, sold it because it was not getting used enough. Also have a dump trailer for them and have not had any problems besides the paint.

cw96stroker

Reaction score
Anyone have or use a big Tex trailer?

Sent from my Pear phone using Tapatalk

We just got a BigTex 35 foot gooseneck last weekend. Has the medium duty axles (10k ea.) I think. Pulled it home from Georgetown last Saturday when I picked it up, and pulled it to McKinney this week once. So far it seems like a good sturdy trailer, I like how the neck is easy adjustable, and the two speed jack is nice, lol I feel uptown now. Here is a few pics of it (not very good ones though).

At Georgetown when I first hooked onto it
photobucket-5902-1325988581284.jpg
[/IMG]

And when I had the skid steer loaded
photobucket-2735-1325988675647.jpg
[/IMG]

photobucket-4559-1325988649012.jpg
[/IMG]

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
We just got a BigTex 35 foot gooseneck last weekend. Has the medium duty axles (10k ea.) I think. Pulled it home from Georgetown last Saturday when I picked it up, and pulled it to McKinney this week once. So far it seems like a good sturdy trailer, I like how the neck is easy adjustable, and the two speed jack is nice, lol I feel uptown now. Here is a few pics of it (not very good ones though).

At Georgetown when I first hooked onto it
photobucket-5902-1325988581284.jpg
[/IMG]

And when I had the skid steer loaded
photobucket-2735-1325988675647.jpg
[/IMG]

photobucket-4559-1325988649012.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice trailer...good lookin dually as well...I'm not big on those GMs but that one looks nice.

cw96stroker

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment Firefighter.

In that pic, no the neck has not yet been adjusted any, but I can easily adjust it by loosening the bolt there on the front and spinning the jack type handle on top to get more clearance between the neck and my bed. I will adjust it here shortly, I went through some pretty good size dips and got pretty close to my tailgate so I really dont need to give myself but about 2-3 more inches and it will be fine.

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
I see that your from PA. I don't know if you know or not but, if your trailer is over 10K GVW, you technically need combined plates for your truck and trailer to be legal. So for example if your truck has a 8000 GVW rating and the trailer is 14000, you would need class 8 plates (21,001 - 26,000lbs) which is $405 a year. I also think that trailers over 10K have to be inspected twice a year. Some people have the GVW rating of their trailer set to 9990 to get away with it. I would consider all of this and research a bit before buying anything.

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
Is there a certain weight were you have to have a different license to use the trailer?

Well 03 just answered my question. Anyone shed more light on that?

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I see that your from PA. I don't know if you know or not but, if your trailer is over 10K GVW, you technically need combined plates for your truck and trailer to be legal. So for example if your truck has a 8000 GVW rating and the trailer is 14000, you would need class 8 plates (21,001 - 26,000lbs) which is $405 a year. I also think that trailers over 10K have to be inspected twice a year. Some people have the GVW rating of their trailer set to 9990 to get away with it. I would consider all of this and research a bit before buying anything.

You don't need a class A CDL if the trailer weight rating exceeds 10k, only if the combined truck/ trailer weight exceed 26k GVW. And Class 8 is anything over 33,000, 19-26k would be a class 6 plate.

97Bambi, I'd check with your state about registration since that's the only thing I can think of that would be different in PA.

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
You don't need a class A CDL if the trailer weight rating exceeds 10k, only if the combined truck/ trailer weight exceed 26k GVW. And Class 8 is anything over 33,000, 19-26k would be a class 6 plate.

I don't mean class 8 as in CDL. Im pa we have weight registration stickers on our windshields. You have to register the truck for the proper wieght. Trailers over 10k have to be combined with the truck for registration. I was also just told by a DOT officer if your GCVW is over 17,000 you need a medical card, fire extinguisher as well as saftey triangles.

Attachments

• weight.jpg
    weight.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
Well I'm from PA so that's why I was asking. I know they have goofy laws here for the trailers. My truck is rated for 9k I think. How big of a trailer could I get and still be legal?

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
Well I'm from PA so that's why I was asking. I know they have goofy laws here for the trailers. My truck is rated for 9k I think. How big of a trailer could I get and still be legal?

If your trailer is under 10K GVW none of this applies to you. If it's over 10K you need all of the extra stuff and higher expenses to be legal.

Peroni

Reaction score
Could getting your trailer tagged in Maine make you exempt from these rules?

Probably not and it likely depends on how strict/lax your state enforces their laws. I got my trailer tagged in ME thru a broker. What this saved me on was sales tax and expensive registration fees. IIRC new title and 5yr plate was under $150 incl broker fees. I'm over 26001 combined so to be legal I would still have to get a CDl, medical card, DOT inspection ect even for non-commercial use in my state.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I don't mean class 8 as in CDL. Im pa we have weight registration stickers on our windshields. You have to register the truck for the proper wieght. Trailers over 10k have to be combined with the truck for registration. I was also just told by a DOT officer if your GCVW is over 17,000 you need a medical card, fire extinguisher as well as saftey triangles.

I see what you mean, yeah the registration does vary from state to state. That is retarded that it has to be registered that way. Are you sure you have to have a med. card, fire extinguisher, and safety triangles at that weight if its for personal use? According to the USDOT that is only necessary if your hauling commercially or over 26,001, and then you also need a class A CDL.

Legally you could get as big of a trailer as you want to, provided you don't exceed your truck or trailer axle weight ratings. I know plenty of people towing a gooseneck rated for 20k, that have their truck registered for 36k. But by the sounds of it the bigger the trailer you get the more your state is going to charge you.

Last edited:

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
I see what you mean, yeah the registration does vary from state to state. That is retarded that it has to be registered that way. Are you sure you have to have a med. card, fire extinguisher, and safety triangles at that weight if its for personal use? According to the USDOT that is only necessary if your hauling commercially or over 26,001, and then you also need a class A CDL.

I asked a DOT trooper when I was filling up with fuel at a truck stop a few weeks ago. He told me that even for personal use a med. card, fire extinguisher, and safety triangles were required for weights higher than 17,000 combined. I already have all of the above anyhow. It seems to me that the law can be read many different ways and everyone will tell you something different :bs:

Latest posts

Members online