Air Bags - Which Brand?

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
I need to order a set of helper bags for the truck. What brand does everyone prefer?

Leaning towards the PacBrake kit after having it recommended by others. Here's the kit I'm looking at:

http://www.statetrailer.com/products/Brakes-Suspension/Air-Helper-Springs/14170800/

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG...305917729/**http://pacbrake.com/PDF/L5754.PDF

air_suspension_kit_large.jpg

jwlandry

Reaction score
I used to work at a trailer/truck accessory place and we installed the firestone and the air lift brand. The firestone was way better quality and I liked how the mounted inside the frame vs outside. I have never had experience with the PAC brake brand. Im gonna go with firestone when I do mine, which will be real soon

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
Maybe its just me but wouldn't outside the frame be better? Seems like the wider they are, the more stability they would offer. Or maybe I'm over-thinking it LOL

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
Maybe its just me but wouldn't outside the frame be better? Seems like the wider they are, the more stability they would offer. Or maybe I'm over-thinking it LOL

I think they would be better because they are mounted directly on the springs. If I ever get another set I would get ones like you have pictured. Also the inside the frame style were a pain in the a$$ to mount.

farm boy

Reaction score
I run a set like you have pictured, but mine are air-lift brand. 4 wheel parts in Houston has some really good prices on air bag kits.

I air them up and load the chit out of them. They hold up really well.

JDub

Reaction score
I've done the Firestone kits in the past and had decent luck with them. Pac Brake says their kit won't work with an in-bed gooseneck or fifth wheel hitch. I just ordered a set of bags and larger sway bars from Hellwig for my 2010, will be installing them in the next week or two.

jwlandry

Reaction score
yes they are. im ordering my bags this week. My camper has gained some weight since thanksgiving so it will be a little heavier on the way home. Im gonna go with the firestone ones and once im home ill plumb them into my onboard air with in cab controls.

1BADF350

Reaction score
I also have the B&W hitch and have/had the inboard system..I pull a 44' gooseneck trailer and hve bent the lower brackets that mount on inboard of the frame, I carry a 100 gallon fuel tank in the bed and sometime get as high a 3500lbs of tounge weight. One trip from Tn to SoCal and theye were shot..
I ended up moving them to the outside and made my own plates, I will post them to show how I did mine. Yes, it woids the warranty on th B&W to drill holes through it, but I have pulled 100K miles with this set up and no more problems..
What is the best way to post pics?

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Best way to load pics is upload them to photo bucket, and then copy and paste the link that has IMG out beside it, under the thumbnail that way the pic will show up in the thread and you won't have to click on it or anything

1BADF350

Reaction score
Here is the set I put on my wifes excursion. I used a plasma cutter on a CNC router table to cut the plate steel, but you could just use a drill with a hole saw for the access holes on the u-bolts. I then drilled a hole in the center of the plate for the bolt to hold the airbag in place and there is enough room to fit a wrench between the plates and spin the airbags tight and the lined up top bracket and pull bolt snug.
If you have any fab skills at all, i would recommend useing the outside mount set up over the inboard setup. just my personal opion though. let me know what you think.

bag6.jpg

bag3.jpg

bag1.jpg

bag5.jpg

bag4.jpg

jwlandry

Reaction score
i have to call a place where i used to work tomorrow and check the price on the firestone bags. Im gonna end up going with them. Im just worried that the fit will be tight due to the 5'' exhaust under there.

Latest posts

Members online