4R100 rebuild/no forward gears

tank83

Reaction score
Just completed the 4R100 rebuild and everything went smooth until testing. I have reverse, but NO forward gears. No drive, manual 1st or manual 2nd. When I switch to drive the engine takes on load like it wants to go into drive, but it won't move no matter how hard I rev the engine.

Before the rebuild, I slowly lost all gears. Upon tearing into the case, my forward clutches were toast! So bad that I had to grind off the clutches because they were welded onto the hub assembly and cut into the forward drum.

I'm hoping it's a solenoid, but I fear it's something inside the transmission. Thoughts?

It's an early 1999 F-350.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
It can't be a solenoid. No solenoid can cause that.

When in gear does the engine free rev, or is it working against the converter? Will it roll in N, or is something holding it from rolling?

tank83

Reaction score
Mark, it feels like it's "engaging" because the RPMs will lower when put into D. When I put it in N and D it will free roll with nothing holding it back.

Joeford1999

Reaction score
I also just completed a 4r100 rebuild my 99 7.3 4x4. It shifted fine for a few days then stopped. It would shift fine from 1st to 2nd but no 3rd or OD shift. Pulled back down fixed an oring in intermediate drum and now I have absolutely nothing. No Rev or foward gears. Replaced selonoid pack and valve body. Any ideas??

Joeford1999

Reaction score
I allowed my son to put the filter and pan back on the tranny after rebuild. Apon inspection my son left the filter out of the pan. Trans will shift from 1st to 2nd but no upshift to 3rd still. Selonoid pack has been replace with a blue cover from an orange cover. All pig tails have been replaced as of today and still no upshift.
Thanks Joe

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
Lack of lubrication will burn frictions... No filter means the pump can't take in fluid. Mark can correct me if I'm wrong (probably am), but I think it will need to come back apart...

Joeford1999

Reaction score
Ok, since my last post, I have bought a used tranny went through it and put it in the truck. I now have a new converter and a tranny with less than 120k on it. Truck sitting on jack stands going through the gears. New fluid, system completely flushed using mercon v equivalent fluid, valve body tourque to specs. Tranny shifted fine and then nothing. Pulled codes for 2 and 3 incorrect ratio, those have gone away and now code for tc slippage is greater than expected. I find it kinda of strange that I have put 3 different transmission in the same truck with in a month and they all end up with the same problem, no upshift from 2nd to 3rd, but all gave different codes.

Joeford1999

Reaction score
I have read that this is a common problem for the 4r100 trans, and the real question is guess is do I need to rebuild my original tranny again or should I say heck with it and order a tranny, if so any suggestions? I dont race my truck but I do off road quite often!!

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
What exactly did you do when you "went through it"? What were the exact codes?

Did you do anything to the valve bodies in any of these transmissions?

Did you tear down the other two transmissions to see if you could find failure point?

The 4r100 has a known 2-3 shift valve issue in the valve-body. Now if this last transmission had the 2-3 codes and now they're gone and you have a tcc code, you might have burned something up again. Lots of people will say BTS or the like, but I recommend finding a local rebuilder that you have trust in and stands by their work and have them do it. I'd also recommend them to put in a machined center support and a valvebody/kit at the minimum with a billet triple disc TC. I wouldn't reuse any parts you currently have as you don't know if they've been contaminated by the failed transmissions. This is only my opinion and Mark or someone else more knowledgeable may jump in. I rebuilt my 4r100 50k miles ago and thankfully its still going strong.

Last edited:

Joeford1999

Reaction score
Found and fixed the issue with my tranny, tc was weak the clutches were slipping according to the builder also the trash from the tc cause the 2-3 upshift valve to hang open. Tranny is pullung good and good clean cris shifts. Now on to replacing the gears front and back. Any suggestions. Truck has 12 lift and 37 too open country tires.

Hgitrans

Reaction score
recently a friend of mine repaired the transmission of my 2000 f350 7.3 2wd, it turns out that now the transmission remains in neutral even if you put it on drive,Sometimes it moves when I keep 3500 rpm
,someone commented that I need to calibrate it, I would appreciate your help

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score
Don't piggyback on some one else's thread. Start your own. Not being an ass, just saying. By the way, welcome to the forum.

Stop running the revs to 3500 to make the truck move. Only bad things will happen then. Start by rechecking the fluid level.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Sometimes it moves when I keep 3500 rpm
,someone commented that I need to calibrate it, I would appreciate your help
There is nothing to calibrate. When you install a trans it either works or it doesn't work.

If you want to guarantee that it won't work, rev it to 3500 RPM to try to get it to move. That will absolutely destroy the transmission.

Pull this trans out. It's finished.

Latest posts

Members online