2015 6.7 whine at idle

Jomax

Reaction score
Let us know...hopefully this is a solid fix for everyone with this annoying issue

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Didn't change the filter, but I did try to drain it while running and nothing changed for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
how long do all of you guys let your lpfp run before you start the truck?

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

04cr450

Reaction score
The book says operate a koeo cycle 7 times? My truck is quiet under the hood only hearing the typical diesel sound.. something wrong for sure, I have also been around a hand full of 6.7'S and none of them sounded strange like this

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
When changing the filter?

anytime you start it.. mine has a lil whine when I first turn the key.. I can hear/feel my lift pump gargle/prime and when that clears up and the whine goes away, I start the truck.. not sure if it matters though.. some have it.. some dont..

live life full throttle

Jomax

Reaction score
anytime you start it.. mine has a lil whine when I first turn the key.. I can hear/feel my lift pump gargle/prime and when that clears up and the whine goes away, I start the truck.. not sure if it matters though.. some have it.. some dont..

live life full throttle

Yeah I have that as well.

Spindrift

Reaction score
Well, I'll add my truck to the list except the whine is coming from the frame mounted filter and that makes me think it might be the pump. Does anyone have the whine coming from the lower filter? Coincidentally, the whine started when for the very first time I forgot to cycle the key after doing my regular fuel bowl draining exercise.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well, I'll add my truck to the list except the whine is coming from the frame mounted filter and that makes me think it might be the pump. Does anyone have the whine coming from the lower filter? Coincidentally, the whine started when for the very first time I forgot to cycle the key after doing my regular fuel bowl draining exercise.
try cycling the key a dozen times till it times out and shuts off each time.. and make sure the drain and the filter housing itself is tight. lil bit of air will cause that!

live life full throttle

Jomax

Reaction score

I have the whine from the lower filter.

dsmracing1

Reaction score

live life full throttle

I always just wait until the H&S mini max gets to the main screen. It's not far off from when the LPFP turns off after its priming cycle.. easiest way to make sure if my labourers on site have to drive my truck, they have something to reference by. Between that and some don't understand the whole glow plug concept as they drive Honda civics lol.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I always just wait until the H&S mini max gets to the main screen. It's not far off from when the LPFP turns off after its priming cycle.. easiest way to make sure if my labourers on site have to drive my truck, they have something to reference by. Between that and some don't understand the whole glow plug concept as they drive Honda civics lol.
lol.. right on

live life full throttle

95cobby

Reaction score

live life full throttle

Mine does the same thing, whine on key turn. I wait for it to stop after a few seconds then turn the truck on. Haven't done a filter change yet since truck only has 14k miles on it.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing, whine on key turn. I wait for it to stop after a few seconds then turn the truck on. Haven't done a filter change yet since truck only has 14k miles on it.

depending on quality of fuel and additive you use, I wouldn't go more then 15k on filter changes.. first thing that gets denied warranty is the rust they find in the fuel system.. I use a very good additive and use it religiously year around and I still do 15k filter changes..

live life full throttle

95cobby

Reaction score
depending on quality of fuel and additive you use, I wouldn't go more then 15k on filter changes.. first thing that gets denied warranty is the rust they find in the fuel system.. I use a very good additive and use it religiously year around and I still do 15k filter changes..

live life full throttle

Thanks for the heads up. I'm currently using pm22a and will be sure to do the filter change here soon. So I'm assuming it's not a good idea to follow Ford's 22.5k miles service interval for the fuel filters?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I'm currently using pm22a and will be sure to do the filter change here soon. So I'm assuming it's not a good idea to follow Ford's 22.5k miles service interval for the fuel filters?

drain the frame filter every couple weeks just for good measure and no, don't go with 22k unless you have super clean diesel fuel..

live life full throttle

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I change my fuel filters at 10k...

^Use this as typical interval. If you read what fords normal usage is, youd laugh. It like 70 degree ambient, cruising at 67mph, no stop and go, no headwind, no hills, etc. Normal actual driving is considered "heavy use". I always recommend 10k services. Over maintaining is not a bad thing, under maintaining gets expensive quick. Also, trans at 30k, oil and filter at 5k.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.