CPS gear contact?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I bought the Borg Warner CPS last week. Looks exactly like the Delphi one except its grey. Truck idles and runs much better than when I had the new Ford CPS in there. Hard to believe it could make that much of a difference.
most guys look at me like im retarded when I tell them how much different it runs. hell just a shim makes a lot of difference. listen to this vid at a pull http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=jcxYqnU2lU8
and listen to this pull way smoother http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=svLADE29SlU
I bought the Borg Warner CPS last week. Looks exactly like the Delphi one except its grey. Truck idles and runs much better than when I had the new Ford CPS in there. Hard to believe it could make that much of a difference.

live life full throttle

gman1

Reaction score
Reaction score

I got the same exact results. Hard to believe with a parts store cps how much better it runs.

gman1

Reaction score
My only complaint is it stutters when the wiper delay is on. Oh well I dont drive it in the rain much anyways so its no biggie.

TARM

Reaction score
That is correct if you isolate the ground of the wiper it "should" eliminate the noise as I think the both share the same ground. A number of guys just replace the wiper motor at the same time but with the ground it should not create other issues. I have run both it and the delphi 101G(currently made in black) and they both cleared all the CCT faults as well as idled better.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Anyone have the OD/ID and thickness of the shims?

Just thinking out loud....why would moving the sensor further away from the pickup make it operate better? We know that the Ford replacement CPS has a weaker magnet and is further away. The Delphi sensor has a stronger magnet and is closer which makes it run better. Moving the Delphi sensor further away would make the magnet less "stronger".

Billy T.
[email protected]

TyCorr

Reaction score

Just thinking out loud....why would moving the sensor further away from the pickup make it operate better? We know that the Ford replacement CPS has a weaker magnet and is further away. The Delphi sensor has a stronger magnet and is closer which makes it run better. Moving the Delphi sensor further away would make the magnet less "stronger".

Billy T.
[email protected]

In some the magnet is too close. Couple that with cam gear endplay being out of spec for whatever reason and it can cause issues. Better than saying x works best with a shim of .020 and x with .030 would be to measure and use the correct cps. You throw in that some of these cams have been removed and the gear pressed back on possibly incorrectly and the solution for cps issues are literally all over the place.

gman1

Reaction score
Try giving the wiper motor it's own ground.

That is correct if you isolate the ground of the wiper it "should" eliminate the noise as I think the both share the same ground. A number of guys just replace the wiper motor at the same time but with the ground it should not create other issues. I have run both it and the delphi 101G(currently made in black) and they both cleared all the CCT faults as well as idled better.

Been reading up on this issue. Im going to isolate the wiper ground and see if it helps. Thanks.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
In some the magnet is too close. Couple that with cam gear endplay being out of spec for whatever reason and it can cause issues. Better than saying x works best with a shim of .020 and x with .030 would be to measure and use the correct cps. You throw in that some of these cams have been removed and the gear pressed back on possibly incorrectly and the solution for cps issues are literally all over the place.
this^^^... can't go off mine cuz she be fugged up. I have .040 worth of shims and its the best she has ran in a year..

Billy T.
[email protected]
6 bucks off fleabay, you get 3 .010 shims and 3 .020 shims and a cps o-ring. look up dt466 cps or cmp shims.. I ordered 2 kits. and have 9 various cps's. lol

live life full throttle

rusty1161

Reaction score
I ordered a second Standard CPS off Ebay for under $10. The second CPS came in gray. The box for the gray sensor says it's made in Mexico. The box for the black one says made in USA. The USA box appears to be an older Standard box logo design. Hmmmmm

uve8u5en.jpg

Billy T.
[email protected]

I just installed one of the gray Standard PC603 CPS', and this is the smoothest my truck has run in years. I am looking forward to putting more miles on it and see if there are any power or MPG changes.

Rusty

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I installed the black Standard CPS sensor two weeks ago and noticed a significant mileage increase. Mind you, when I noticed the mileage increase, my clutch fan was bad; it was locked/engaged all the time.

The mileage test was a non-scientific one. When I re-fill or switch tanks, I reset the trip meter. On the front tank with Ford replacement gray CPS, I was getting around 250-275 miles on the front tank. After putting in the black CPS, it jumped to 333 before I switched tanks. I have not refilled the tank to verify how much fuel I used. I was still running a bad clutch fan. The coolant needle was just barely in the range \____/.

Last week, I replaced my radiator and clutch fan. The coolant gauge needle now hovers on the "N" of NORMAL which was the norm. I am going on the a small road trip today (125 mile round trip) and will check mileage.

I can tell my how my mileage is doing by comparing the fuel gauge vs the trip meter.

Billy T.
[email protected]

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I installed the black Standard CPS sensor two weeks ago and noticed a significant mileage increase. Mind you, when I noticed the mileage increase, my clutch fan was bad; it was locked/engaged all the time.

The mileage test was a non-scientific one. When I re-fill or switch tanks, I reset the trip meter. On the front tank with Ford replacement gray CPS, I was getting around 250-275 miles on the front tank. After putting in the black CPS, it jumped to 333 before I switched tanks. I have not refilled the tank to verify how much fuel I used. I was still running a bad clutch fan. The coolant needle was just barely in the range \____/.

Last week, I replaced my radiator and clutch fan. The coolant gauge needle now hovers on the "N" of NORMAL which was the norm. I am going on the a small road trip today (125 mile round trip) and will check mileage.

I can tell my how my mileage is doing by comparing the fuel gauge vs the trip meter.

Billy T.
[email protected]
nice!
There are two different Delphi part #s
- HTS101
- HTS101G <------ This is the one you want.

Billy T.
[email protected]
this^^^

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online