Need turbo/ no boost help!

XrayPipeliner

Reaction score
Having a major issue with my turbo. I start the truck let it idle for 15 to 20 minutes and when I go to leave I have no boost. It dosn't want to go at all and throws black smoke so bad I cant see behind me. Today when I tried to drive it it did the same thing but there was a smell of oil under the hood. I pulled over and popped the hood and I had smoke coming from the rear passenger side of the motor. I have no oil leaks and it was a gallon low on oil. After I pulled over and restarted the truck a few times the turbo starts working but I can only get 11lbs of boost max. I have the Irate Diesel fuel system, PHP chip, wicked wheel, and and simple stuff like AFe CAI, and 4"
turbo back dual exuast. Only 72,000 miles on the truck. Any ideas on what it is? I already looked over all intercooler boots and map line and they look fine.

Arisley

Reaction score
Pull the intake off. With the truck off spin the turbo wheel. If no ugly sounds try pulling in and out on the wheel. Should be no in and out play. Try moving wheel side to side. Should be minimal (.001 inch or so). This will verify that it is in fact a bad turbo.

Sent from my truck while eating, adjusting the radio and passing a Mustang sideways.

XrayPipeliner

Reaction score
if no oil is in the exhaust pipe suspect the center injector orings

I dont work on my own truck, have no knowledge, or time. I can do basic stuff like chips and stereos. I am good with electrical stuff. The only garage around in BFE, West Virginia claims there is nothing wrong with my truck but they are not diesel mechanics. When I wash my truck, lots of black crap rolls out but I figured it was soot. Was gonna replace the turbo anyways, just hope my problem is solved during the install.

Arisley

Reaction score
I dont work on my own truck, have no knowledge, or time. I can do basic stuff like chips and stereos. I am good with electrical stuff. The only garage around in BFE, West Virginia claims there is nothing wrong with my truck but they are not diesel mechanics. When I wash my truck, lots of black crap rolls out but I figured it was soot. Was gonna replace the turbo anyways, just hope my problem is solved during the install.

OK :doh::shrug:

If you didn't want help, why did you ask? Just wondering.

Lowdown89

Reaction score

Ok, I'm not following..... You don't work on your own truck but you were gonna replace the turbo.... Sorry this just doesn't make any sense

XrayPipeliner

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know about wrenching on motors. I will pay a mechanic to do it, but seems all the work I pay to have done, turns out that I am going to another place to have fixed. I travel for work and dont have time to travel back to the last job to have them fix thier mess-ups.

Arisley

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know about wrenching on motors. I will pay a mechanic to do it, but seems all the work I pay to have done, turns out that I am going to another place to have fixed. I travel for work and dont have time to travel back to the last job to have them fix thier mess-ups.

In that case I would leave it stock and not mess with it.

Arisley

Reaction score
You are welcome. I told you in my first post how to verify if you had a bad turbo or not. You weren't interested in that.

Not sure what you are wanting, one of us to come over and fix it for you. Or just to diagnose it so you can tell your "mechanic" what is wrong with it.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Whats your ambient air temps been there lately?

It sounds to me this is what is happening:

Its cold outside... so cold the ebpv is closing on you. When this happens, you push the pedal down and theres no boost just black smoke because your truck is tuned.

your oil is so cold that the injectors aren't popping off, and it will actually feel like the turbo is totally dead and not boosting, due in part to cold oil and LOW oil.

I bet if you put that gallon of oil back in the truck will immediately run better. Then, once the ebpv disengages it will run 100% better.

Just an assumption based off of whats happened to me personally.

XrayPipeliner

Reaction score
Whats your ambient air temps been there lately?

It sounds to me this is what is happening:

Its cold outside... so cold the ebpv is closing on you. When this happens, you push the pedal down and theres no boost just black smoke because your truck is tuned.

your oil is so cold that the injectors aren't popping off, and it will actually feel like the turbo is totally dead and not boosting, due in part to cold oil and LOW oil.

I bet if you put that gallon of oil back in the truck will immediately run better. Then, once the ebpv disengages it will run 100% better.

Just an assumption based off of whats happened to me personally.

Before I put the oil in it she would hardley move, with the oil in it it still dosnt want to go and throws all the black smoke. Gonna pull the intake this weekend and inspect the turbo. Its looking like im going to replace the turbo anyways. Should I delete the EBPV? I live in Michigan where its cold.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I'd personally keep the ebpv. When I set the hi-idle on and the ebpv engages, I can tell it warms teh truck up quicker.

I bet its just because you dont give the truck enough time to warm up before driving off. Try giving it 2-5mins to sit n idle to get the oil nice and hot and not as thick as the alabama swamps and I bet it runs better

XrayPipeliner

Reaction score
I'd personally keep the ebpv. When I set the hi-idle on and the ebpv engages, I can tell it warms teh truck up quicker.

I bet its just because you dont give the truck enough time to warm up before driving off. Try giving it 2-5mins to sit n idle to get the oil nice and hot and not as thick as the alabama swamps and I bet it runs better

I warm it up 10 to 20 minutes when its cold out. Have a remote start, makes it easy.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Ohhhhhhhhhh, now theres a twist...

Is there a way you can monitor hpop health? I wonder if its dying and the cold isn't helping..

XrayPipeliner

Reaction score
Ohhhhhhhhhh, now theres a twist...

Is there a way you can monitor hpop health? I wonder if its dying and the cold isn't helping..

I use the edge cts for monitoring. It's there something on there I can watch it with?

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
edge cant see hpop #'s.....

try snap on or solaris or MAC scanner to see what the dc% and hpo injection pressure is.

Sounds like it might be a weak hpop

OBS F350

Reaction score
Sounds like your turbo may have $hit the bed, and also sounds like you possibly have a leaking up pipe or manifold. Look around for soot on the firewall and on the up pipes/manifold. Also Check your shaft play etc. like Andy said. Does not sound like HPO problem IMO.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Good thinking... if the turbos fried then it will sit there n smoke like a bitch and stink real strong of diesel.

Check for oil in turbo, check to see if oil level is low, and check for shaft play.

XrayPipeliner

Reaction score
Just looked the turbo over and everything seems fine. Spins freely and no in and out play.

Attachments

• turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.