Hissing from drivers side.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
This morning when I started my truck it cranked right up but died immediately. Took 6/8 tries to get it to idle.
it burped up and then would go to about 400rpms try to get up again and die. It was very quick though.
Once she idled all seemed well. On the road she hissed and screeched kinda.
Pulled over to look under the hood and it stopped, even with my wife accelerating in park.
Didn't do it anymore after that. It did the burp thing again the next time a started it but just once.
Drove it over a hundred miles and power feels fine. Turbo whistle is different then it was before I put the new engine in. I used my old up pipes and exhaust manifolds with parts store gaskets...
Looks like there is some soot on the firewall behind the turbo.
I'm going to use the 3" pvc cap with a truck valve on the air intake hose to check for leaks hopefully this week but maybe not until the weekend.
Just thought I would post my experience and update as I go a long.
Any advice or experience is always welcome.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Did you get the up pipe to turbo seated right? Could be leaking doughnuts on the up pipes, or the attatchment to the manifolds.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Your starting sounds fuel related. Or possibly accessory drive, something tlstarting to seize up.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Your starting sounds fuel related. Or possibly accessory drive, something tlstarting to seize up.

I'm not sure I understand...accessory drive?

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Never mind. I suppose I can just take off the serpentine belt and make sure everything turns freely? I just put this engine in and checked all pulleys at the time and everything was good.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
I'll try and remember to record my startup in the morning and post if it does it again.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Never mind. I suppose I can just take off the serpentine belt and make sure everything turns freely? I just put this engine in and checked all pulleys at the time and everything was good.

Yeah, if the alternator, ac compressor, tensioner, etc is starting to bind it will drop rpm, and not get hot enough to start.

Didnt think, but glow plugs as well, check the relay and ohm all the plugs. They should be about .5-1 ohm to ground if i remember right. Sometimes forget how sensitive 7.3s are to stuff like that....

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Accessories aren't new but injectors and glow plugs are. I'll probably check all that out after I find and fix whatever leak I have. If that starting thing persists after the leak is fixed.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Well it didn't happen at 330am when I left for work but it did at 745pm when I left work.. yay overtime!
Anyway it's not exactly the same but you will get the idea. Here's the link to the video; https://youtu.be/UrXz9q-wx6g

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Or the actual video... huh.
The hissing turns itself on and off for about the first 5-10min of driving then it's not really noticeable. Pretty regular intervals too.
I still haven't had time (as you can see from my work hours) to check anything out as far as drive accessories or do a leak test. Just updating as I get more info and obviously when I get a chance to look at anything..
Wish me luck.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
The hissing in the video isn't half what it is when I start driving.
Really thinking it doesn't have compression?
That would be my luck....
I've never done a compression check. Can I rent something from a parts store and I'm guessing there's probably plenty of videos on the subject. Would I be right about that?

joe d

Reaction score
Yes the only reason i say compression check is because that was like a dead cylinder but white smoke. Plug it in and see what happens i bet it dont do it warm or when its warm outside.

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
Update
The hissing and starting problem has mostly gone away this week. Happened once not much and didn't die.
I'm going to ****** the ebpv and tighten the waste gate all the way. See what happens after that. Was told it may be a sticking ebpv.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Update
The hissing and starting problem has mostly gone away this week. Happened once not much and didn't die.
I'm going to ****** the ebpv and tighten the waste gate all the way. See what happens after that. Was told it may be a sticking ebpv.

classic ebpv sticking issue.. what turbo you running? if stock, then i wouldn't tighten the gate.. or gate it at 28psi.. more than 30lbs and they pop. not right away but they will fail..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
I didn't think that a stock truck with a stock turbo would create that much boost...?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I didn't think that a stock truck with a stock turbo would create that much boost...?

my dually, when it was stock injected, stock turbo, hit 34lbs.. a lot! then POP goes the weazel..lol

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Latest posts

Members online